Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Hi All - My brother has found endurance athletics and absolutely loves it. I am building up my old Lemond road bike for him to get started cycling and I need some parts for the build. The full list is:

1 road handlebar - Paid, shipped

1 pair STI shifters - 9 speed - Paid
1 pair clip peddles (the kind with the straps on top) - paid
1 front wheel - Paid, shipped
2 wheel skewers - paid
1 roll bar tape
1 set shift cables
1 set break cables
1 floor pump
1 helmet - paid
1 9 speed cassette (preferably 105) - Paid

I won't likely get all of this here - but if you have any of the components or gear listed above please let me know. I'm trying to get this built up cheaply for him - i.e., I don't need Dura Ace shifters, an old pair of 9-speed 105 would be just fine. I'm particularly worried about the front wheel situation - does anyone have an old training wheel that is just collecting dust?

Let me know what you've got and what kinda price I could get it for. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: Train: Dec 5, 09 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where are u located? i have a few old front wheels i want to get rid of but i think shipping cost would offset the cheapness of the wheel
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [danahs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. I'm in Michigan. Let me know what you have any the cheapest price you might accept... I've had some PMs about parts, and folks have higher end parts that they are offering at literally fantastic prices - but lower end stuff will be better and cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check my post, maybe you need some of my stuff

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump! Still looking for all of the gear! Please let me know if you have anything for sale!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumpidy bump!

Come on, folks, help me get this thing built for my bro before Christmas!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an ultegra 9 speed rear derailer?? will that help

someday I will put something funny here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to sound a little wierd, but it works and is cheaper than Shimano stuff.

You can use a set of 10 speed campy ergos with an otherwise Shimano 8 speed setup and just make it so that the first two clicks are at the bottom of the cassette:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/...ault.aspx?tabid=3946

I'll say this:
Yeah, roadies will probably tease him a little bit
Otherwise, it takes a little bit extra to get setup right because campy shifters pull gradually progressive amounts of cable(starts with 2.5mm and goes up to 3.3 or something, so that you'll need to use your derailleur stops). Once it's set up it works just fine.

Campy xenons aren't exactly high end but here they are for about $100:
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/...ape-shifter-set.aspx

REI should have 8 speed cassettes for $20.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless, I learn something new every day! I'm talking to someone about a cassette and shifters, but if that falls through I might try that route - yes, roadies will probably give him hell for mixing campy with shimano, let alone 8 and 10 speed, but my bro could use some smack talk!
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [proyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking about the rear derailleur. Unfortunately, I've already got an ultegra hanging on the bike right now. Thanks for asking, though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a matched pair of new F/R Velomax (before Easton buyout) skewers. No fancy Ti/carbon, but solid. Black. Will ship for $12 total, assuming you're in the states. PM if interested; I can get a pic tonight if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Cheap Parts to build a Road Bike [TriUno83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triuno - PM sent, let me know if it didn't go through... I'm interested!
Quote Reply