Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change
Quote | Reply
i don't know if you've noticed, but we've made a change. as of last week. it's this: previously, you had to wait until you could sell on slowtwitch. you had to wait a month or some such thing. second, you had to wait in order to PM.

the first wait period was to make sure newbies understood what it is we do around here, and to become in some way a part of the community first, and then you could participate in the classifieds.

the second wait period is because we were getting a bit of PM spam.

we're trying out the idea of no wait periods. let me know if you get any spam in the form of a PM. in terms of classifieds buyers and sellers who are new to slowtwitch, just, look at somebody's user profile. you'll see if they're new. if they are, then, whatever it is that this means to you in terms of extra vigilance, now you know that these new folks are tabula rasa. forewarned is forearmed.

let me know how this goes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan is there any way to flag newbies classified posts for one month. Just a little something to prompt those of us who might forget to check before going forward with transactions.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then there's me - lurking since '08 and have never posted once until today.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"is there any way to flag newbies classified posts for one month."

i see a different screen than you all see, but, can't you look on the poster's user profile and see how new he is?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [SterlingSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's easy to look at your posting history and see whether you've been a good posting citizen but new at classifieds, which is some degree (maybe) of confidence. you're probably not an out and out scammer from indonesia if you've been a good citizen in the other forums. then there are lurkers who've never ever posted. in that case i think you have to earn your chops a little. jeffrey dahmer was a lurker. richard ramirez was a lurker. then they became more than lurkers. so, lurking doesn't buy you any goodwill.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [SterlingSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SterlingSL wrote:
Then there's me - lurking since '08 and have never posted once until today.

I now no longer trust you.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [brotherbock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hide your wimmenz and chillinz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

This is why the rules or some rule should be in place. First post ever, on the exact day they joined and its in the classifieds offering all their old stock from a shop. If its going to be open to this I think slowtwitch should at least charge these types of posts.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Do you think this will create an environment where stores just look to sell current inventory/ PST price lists? The post from Brady cycling (new user as of today) caught my eye... I don't think I have seen postings like that in the past.

Thanks,
David
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [davidbtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you think this will create an environment where stores just look to sell current inventory/ PST price lists?"

i'm mulling this over.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [davidbtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i mulled it over. thread is pulled. account disabled. this forum is for the secondary market.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will pulling the required wait time increase the number of spam/thread posts? The one mentioned above was most definitely spam and not an actual lbs listing inventory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i mulled it over. thread is pulled. account disabled. this forum is for the secondary market.

Dan,

I am happy to see that. The fact that this is a secondary market exclusively is one of the benefits of it.

Great policing.

-David
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Will pulling the required wait time increase the number of spam/thread posts?"

i don't know. we'll see. the idea behind the changes was simply to oil the works of this forum. allowing buyers to send PMs, for example. so, we'll see how it goes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see several potential downsides to this amendment, yet no upsides.

Care to share the logic?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just shared the logic. one post up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't know if you've noticed, but we've made a change. as of last week. it's this: previously, you had to wait until you could sell on slowtwitch. you had to wait a month or some such thing. second, you had to wait in order to PM.

the first wait period was to make sure newbies understood what it is we do around here, and to become in some way a part of the community first, and then you could participate in the classifieds.

the second wait period is because we were getting a bit of PM spam.

we're trying out the idea of no wait periods. let me know if you get any spam in the form of a PM. in terms of classifieds buyers and sellers who are new to slowtwitch, just, look at somebody's user profile. you'll see if they're new. if they are, then, whatever it is that this means to you in terms of extra vigilance, now you know that these new folks are tabula rasa. forewarned is forearmed.

let me know how this goes.

I feel like I'm being stiff-armed (b/c like Obamacare, I have no choice but to accept what is administered).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
having been an admin on another forum for 10 years with over 600,000 members i do not like this change and would like to see you go back to the waiting period.

mike
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what sort of waiting period do you think is appropriate? it's no skin off my teeth one way or the other. think craigslist, where almost all the ads are free, because the revenue is made elsewhere. to this point, that's the slowtwitch classifieds. really, the value proposition to me is that you're happy.

but, speaking of craigslist, there is no wait period there. my guess, you guys buy off craigslist. and maybe sell on it. the classifieds forum gives you more background on sellers than you'd have on craigslist. still, if the majority want a wait period, that's fine. just, what is it you want to achieve with a wait period, and how long a wait period should there be to achieve what you want?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what sort of waiting period do you think is appropriate? it's no skin off my teeth one way or the other. think craigslist, where almost all the ads are free, because the revenue is made elsewhere. to this point, that's the slowtwitch classifieds. really, the value proposition to me is that you're happy.

but, speaking of craigslist, there is no wait period there. my guess, you guys buy off craigslist. and maybe sell on it. the classifieds forum gives you more background on sellers than you'd have on craigslist. still, if the majority want a wait period, that's fine. just, what is it you want to achieve with a wait period, and how long a wait period should there be to achieve what you want?

Craigslist is where you go to get killed or get some strange (that might also get you killed).
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an opinion... I joined the forum recently - yes, primarily because I want to post some bits for sale shortly.

I have no problem with serving a wait time or meeting a post limit first, as it gives me a chance to integrate a little into the forum before hand. Ultimately meaning there is more chance I'll stay after I've sold my spares.

From a potential sellers perspective I think the restrictions are a good thing - they help ensure that this classifieds section is not over populated with spam or commercial sales, ultimately giving me a better chance of selling my genuine stuff.

Nic

another post ticked off :)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Craigslist is where you go to get killed or get some strange (that might also get you killed)."

but you still buy from it, right?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Classifieds denizens: we've made a change [nic_77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"they help ensure that this classifieds section is not over populated with spam or commercial sales,"

we aren't going to have spam or commercial sales in any case. but i hear you. so, again, what's the wait? used to be 30 days and 25 posts in other forums. is that what you want? or does a lesser wait solve the problem?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next