Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal
Quote | Reply
i put something up on craigslist in Montreal. Some guy is offering to pay with paypal and have a shipping company pick up the bike. Sounded sketch so i told him i'd only pass off the bike once payment was confirmed and processed by my bank. This did not deter him, and he's asking for my paypal address to sent funds to. Something seems not right, he's not asking many questions about the bike...

Can you get screwed on paypal as a payment receiver? if so how does the scam work?

Quote | Reply
I don't know much about this, but I have heard something about the buyers making payment, having you send the bike, and then filing a claim with PayPal that the item was not as described or never delivered or something like that. PayPal yanks the funds out of your account and the buyer never sends you the bike back. I've read all that from others here on ST so someone else can chime in that has experience with this. You may want to post this in the main forum instead of the classifieds to get more responses.

FWIW, if something seems sketchy it probably is. I might shy away from this unless you desperately need to sell the bike and are willing to take the risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess he could claim he never received the goods after his company picks up the item. FWIW - i bought a spin bike via craigslist from another city based on a limited description. Some buyers are willing to take a risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I've never been personally scammed through paypal, the common scams (that I've read about) are reporting the item not recieved and buying with a stolen credit card.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [BCL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would at least have the item go through a reputable delivery service and not his courier. Never really liked craigslist heard too many horror stories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With their company, you will not have a tracking number. When sending something like that I would always track it or even require signature. That way you can prove they got it. Then if they file a claim, ask for a tracking number (to make sure it gets returned) and say you will refund if they ship it back in the same condition.

Their shipping company is the sketchy part of the deal.

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't work with their shipping company. Say you'll pack the bike at an LBS and ship it yourself reputably. Also - google the shit out of their email address; I always do :)

--------------------------------
Swim. Bike. Run. Tacos. Not always in that order.
@ryan_hurley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is a scam, run away!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a well polished scam and I had an offer for the exact same schedule of events when my P3 was on CraigsList AND it was a guy from Canada. Might be the same clown who knows. He never asked a single question about a component, history or the like. I asked him what kind of racing he did and he glazed right over the question with how excited he was to purchase 'his dream bike'.

If I were you I would listen to the other poster's advice b/f mine and RUN. You are asking for heart break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A safe rule of thumb: Craigslist is meant for local sales, cash only, in person. Anything else is a really bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put my Lemond Versailles up on Craigslist and had a VERY similar offer. didn't go through with it after good advice from STers. if I were you I would back away slowly and not make eye contact.

Quote | Reply
fitzoffire wrote:
A safe rule of thumb: Craigslist is meant for local sales, cash only, in person. Anything else is a really bad idea.

Best advice
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [fitzoffire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've BOUGHT many things on craigslist with the seller in another city. But then again I'm not a scam artist. It takes a lot of trust on both sides so if anything sounds fishy, get out as a seller.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. I've done a lot of business through CL, but it was all cash and in person. I even bought a massage table from a gal who was so nervous about CL that she met me in a Movie theatre parking lot. My wife rode with me just to ease her fears. Got a great table for $150.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only offer to send the bike via FedEx, etc. That way you can get tracking and delivery confirmation. Be sure to send it and require a signature upon delivery.

Anything else and I would walk away from the sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got PayPal scammed on a stolen credit card and there was nothing I could do to refute the claim. Because it was a credit card purchase I was responsible for not "verifying the signature," even though as the seller I could not determine if the PayPal payment was made via direct bank withdrawal or via a credit card purchase. I lost over $500 on that transaction.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
fitzoffire wrote:

Best advice

It can work really well cross-country, too. I've bought tons of stuff from CL in other parts of the country and had it mailed to me. I use normal human language in my emails and give a phone number to help the seller feel comfortable, and if they decide they don't want to do it then I say thanks and move on...can't blame them really. The worst I've had happen was getting a dura ace rear derailleur with a bent cage that the seller never mentioned. Only good experiences here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other scam is the local delivery scam when you deal through fleabay.

I bought a pair of shifters from a local seller, paid through paypal, and wanted to obtain it in person. The seller was vehemently against it, saying i either pay using paypal and he ships, or i conduct the transaction in cash. I paid with cash and had a bill of sales signed by both parties to give both him and me a peace of mind. When i picked up from him, I asked why he was insistent on this particular mode of transaction, and he told me that apparently, if you pay using paypal and go through with local pick up, you can just claim not to have received the item and file an dispute if you don't do additional things such as a bill of sales and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have the guy send you a money order or check. once this is in your bank account, your fine. then he can have his "company" pick the bike up. no refuting like paypal.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^until the money order gets returned and they remove the funds from your account.....

Personally I avoid this type of transaction, seems anytime they're going to have "their carrier" pick the item up, its a pretty good indication its a scam.

Personally I've done a lot of Paypal transactions but nothing like what you're talking of. I always check the buyers history and make sure they're verified and that their previous purchases are of items in the same field over a period of time. Get their EBay ID and check that.
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [SteveAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? even if you cash it, they'll pull it form your bank account? didn't know that.... :\
Quote Reply
Re: Scam question: how does one get screwed getting PAID with paypal [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My account linked to paypal is a 2nd account. When I did a few higher risk transactions, I received the money, transferred it to bank, then transferred it to another account (leaving 2 dollars or so). It all worked out for me.

I would NEVER link paypal to a primary account. That's insanity cause they CAN reach in and pull whatever funds they need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have him send you a personal transfer via paypal for money owed, there is nothing that he can do. Offer him this option, if he backs out, then you know it was a scam to begin with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
odin99 wrote:
really? even if you cash it, they'll pull it form your bank account? didn't know that.... :\
Where have you been? Banks must "clear" checks within days but it can bounce 10 days to 6 weeks later. I insist on USPS money orders (not that they can't forge them...). Anytime you accept a check from some random out of town person you are taking a big risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mtlrunner wrote:
i put something up on craigslist in Montreal. Some guy is offering to pay with paypal and have a shipping company pick up the bike. Sounded sketch so i told him i'd only pass off the bike once payment was confirmed and processed by my bank. This did not deter him, and he's asking for my paypal address to sent funds to. Something seems not right, he's not asking many questions about the bike...

Can you get screwed on paypal as a payment receiver? if so how does the scam work?
The version I have heard most often is making a claim against Paypal for non-receipt of item. Here is the low down. You sell something and ship USPS but only track it. USPS delivers it (it is the responsibility of the driver IIRC when they leave it in mailbox or on door step). The buyer claims they never got it. They do a chargeback with their CC. Paypal freezes your funds. You didn't require signature so you may be SOL. Buyer gets $$ refunded by either Paypal or CC. They keep said "lost" item. You loose $$ plus the item. It's actually a pretty good scam :(.
Quote Reply

Prev Next