Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat
Quote | Reply
Everything is sold. Thank you.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Last edited by: electusunus: Dec 17, 10 22:14
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One question......Why?

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The better question is why not?

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmim2006 I totally agree. Who would want to buy these??
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [rsell01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Maybe if I buy, it will exempt me from "doing the work." Ooops, we better move this to the LR b/c "something for nothing" is the new generation!
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The better question is why not?

I may be "old school" but I would NEVER take credit for something that I did not do. It's the same reason that I will never enter the lottery for Kona-when I get there, it will be by my own accomplishment, not by a computer picking my name out of a hat!!

I copied this for you...You may want to peruse it-it deals with race shirts, but it can DEFINITELY be applied in this situation.....I think you'll get the point......

As the new season is well under way, I have noticed the same thing season after season and it’s time to refresh everyone’s memory of race t-shirt etiquette.

1. A shirt cannot be worn unless the wearer has participated in the event. There is an exception, though: "significant others" and volunteers are exempt.

2. Any race tee, less than a marathon distance, shouldn’t be worn to an ultra marathon event. This goes double for the wearing of sprint-tri shirts to Ironman and Half-Ironman events. It simply doesn’t represent a high enough "cool factor " and sends a red flag regarding your rookiness. It's like taking a knife to a gunfight. It's probably best just to wear a generic name-brand athletic shirt, and go hide in a corner until race time.

3. When you are returning to a race in which you have previously finished, then wear the shirt from the first year you completed the race. Don’t short-change yourself by wearing the shirt from the year before. It doesn’t adequately display the feat of accomplishment or the consummate veteran status that you are due.

4. Never wear a race event shirt for the (same) race you are about to do. Only rookies do this. It displays a total lack of integrity and might put the bad-heebee-jeebee-mojo on you for the race. Wearing a T-shirt of the race, while currently running said race, is discouraged. It’s like being at work and constantly announcing "I’m at work". Besides, you wont have the correct post-race shirt then...unless you like to wear sweaty, pitted-out clothes on a regular basis. If you do, then go back to the swamp, Gomer.

5. Never wear a shirt from a run that you did not finish. To wear a race shirt is to say "I finished it". Exceptions: see guideline #1.

6. A DNF’er may wear a race shirt if... the letters DNF are boldly written on the shirt in question (using a fat Sharpie or a Marks-A-Lot).

7. During a race, the wearing of shirt from a previously completed year is acceptable. Wear the oldest T-shirt you have from that race (see guideline #3). This is probably a good practice because you now have no excuse to drop out since you’ve done it before.

8. If possible, runners should buy significant others T-shirts which can be worn without regard to running the race. (see guide #1). Keep in mind, they support your "running Jones" more than you think. They also have ways of punishing you that you can't even imagine. Or maybe you can.

9. Volunteers have full T-shirt rights and all privileges pertaining thereto. So there. Remember, you can always volunteer for a race and get a shirt. I encourage this as your civil duty to be a member of the running community. Races don't happen without volunteers, folks.

10. No souvenir shirts: therefore, friends or anyone else not associated with the race may not wear a race shirt. If your mom thinks that your Boston shirt is lovely, tell her to QUALIFY for Boston herself, & send in her application early for next year, so she can earn her own shirt. A downside to this: she still has plenty of time to write you out of her will between her training runs for the big race. Note that your mom CAN wear your finisher's shirt under one of these 4 conditions- 1) you still live with your mother; 2) she funded your trip to the race; 3) she recently bailed you out of the slammer; or 4) All of the above. There is an exception to this guideline: (refer to # 1...If you are a "non-traditional family," and your mom actually is your Significant Other).

11. Always wear the race shirt of your last race at the current race’s pre-race briefing. The more recent the race, the better. This is a good conversation starter. However, avoid the tendency to explain how that it was a training run for this, and this is just a training run for the next, etc. It just sounds like your rationalizing mediocre performances. Sometimes it’s best to live in the here and now.

12. Your t-shirt should be kept clean, but dried blood stains are okay, especially if it is a trail race or a particularly tough event. If you're an ultrarunner, you can even leave in mud and grass stains, (and porcupine quills). Not washing-out the skunk scent is pushing the macho thing a bit too far, though.

13. Never wear a T-shirt that vastly out-classes the event you're running. It’s like taking a gun to a knife fight. Or like unleashing an atomic bomb among aboriginal natives. You get the idea.

14. Also: never wear a blatantly prestigious T-shirt downtown or at the mall among non-running ilk. People will just think you have a big head, which you do. You'll also get stupid questions, like, "how long was that marathon?" If it's a shirt to a 50 or 100-miler, they'll think it's a shirt for a cycling event or just think you're totally nuts, which (of course), you probably are.

15. Never, ever, borrow a race finisher's shirt from another runner to wear to an event that you didn't run. If you do, remember that in Dante's Inferno, he wrote about a special Hell for characters such as you; right between Tax Collectors and Lawyers.

16. All children or grandchildren of ours can wear hand-me-down race finisher's shirts for races that I've run in. When they are asked, "did you run in that 100-mile trail race?" They can proudly respond, "no, but my daddy (or grandad) did." If your progeny has put-up with you being an ultrarunner, they have said rights too. If you have completed an Ironman, your kids also have the same rights. They've put up with a lot of crap (or outright neglect) over the years, and deserve to wear them.

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [justfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Maybe if I buy, it will exempt me from "doing the work." Ooops, we better move this to the LR b/c "something for nothing" is the new generation!

You hit the nail right on the head, Justfast.....

I'm curious, electusunus, how did you come to "own" these items? Did you get to Kona through the lottery? Or did you qualify? More importantly, why do you want to sell these items?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who in the world wasted their time coming up with that crap? At least the Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist are funny.

Planning on buying a Boston piece of apparel as motivation...not that I'm going to use it til after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you guys fail to realize is that:

1) People lose things - how disoriented are you after the race. You sit down, you place the medal on the ground and you leave it there. Or you hang it in the bathroom at your hotel and then leave it there. People want to remember their event. I don't.

2) People collect things

and

3) Some people make decorative displays or do other things. I know one person who puts all their medals in tile and then places the tile in their kitchen floor. They want a second one, one medal as is, and one medal in the tile

4) they give it as a gift to someone

but who really cares why I don't want it and someone else does. I would rather offset the high cost of WTC races by selling my schwag. I don't even think I need to answer the question of Kona - does it have any basis on the discussion?

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
who in the world wasted their time coming up with that crap? At least the Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist are funny.

Planning on buying a Boston piece of apparel as motivation...not that I'm going to use it til after the race.

May be crap, but that's your opinion-I thought it was relevant....your second observation doesn't lend itself to the discussion/rationale...though you do say that you'll wait to wear the BM item until AFTER you finish-maybe not all crap after all, huh?

With that way of thinking, should someone buy this stuff as their motivation?

The whole point is WHY would you buy these items if you weren't even there?!?....The finisher's medals have the year on them, for goodness sake!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And FWIW, congrats on BQ'ing....in all seriousness, it's an accomplishment at any age.........

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you don't have to answer the question about how you got to Kona. I was just looking for a bit of insight, that's all. So, rather than clear things up, you've chosen to leave us guessing. Okay, no problem. Listen, it's your choice what to do with your schwag, but it's just a little difficult to comprehend-don't you get that? I mean it's THE Ironman, know what I mean? It's the Promised Land for thousands of AG athletes who will NEVER have a realistic shot at getting there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lord, let the guy sell his stuff in peace. If someone wants to buy it for a good reason, great. If someone wants to buy it to pretend they did the event, let them, karma will take care of it. Get off your high horse, man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmim,

Don't get me wrong - I cherish the medal, event, and experience more than anything. I have complete respect for anyone that earns a slot and I know I am very fortunate to be able to go to Kona and race. I won't get in to it much because I don't like to talk about my racing but I qualified for the race this year, then raced two weeks later and qualified again for 2011. I rolled that slot down to someone who will probably never get a chance at going. I would just rather race and use the funds to be able to race at Kona again someday - that day is not Oct 8th 2011 - but I will be back someday.

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [TriDwayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good lord, let the guy sell his stuff in peace. If someone wants to buy it for a good reason, great. If someone wants to buy it to pretend they did the event, let them, karma will take care of it. Get off your high horse, man.

Holy shit, this is getting funny :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

YES!

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an IMF finisher hat (on here) in 2006 after I mine was stolen. It was my first IM (and for a few years after the only one i was going to do). The hat was headsweats and I liked it, it was cheaper to buy the hat from someone on here than to buy a brand new one (non IMF) from headsweats.

I've since lost every IM finisher hat I've ever owned. And if I saw one (of a race I did ) for sale that was cheaper than a regular headsweats hat, I'd buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was so funny. Now I am tempted to wear a 5K shirt with DNF written on it to my 1st trail 50K. Along with a pair of new white shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - I bought a IMC finisher's jacket on here when they sold out onsite.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you've got problems.
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This was so funny. Now I am tempted to wear a 5K shirt with DNF written on it to my 1st trail 50K. Along with a pair of new white shoes.

I know, RIGHT?!?

I rarely wear race T's, but my kids love em. And that is worth more than money.
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Ironman World Championship & IMAZ Official Finisher's Medal, T-Shirt, Hat [Rufus T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a lil curious as to what the market price is for somebodies elses glory is though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hat is now sold. Medals, shirt still available, I also have the official program available as well that I forget to list originally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: #1: So I can sleep my way to a finisher's shirt then? ;-)

(FWIW love the rules!)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh shit! I was given a Race Volunteer shirt this year at Eagleman, even though I was there to race and not to volunteer. WTF is gonna happen to me now? I may have partially redeemed myself by volunteering longer than my necessary 4 hour slot at Lake Placid...ugh, no...I got a t-shirt there also! Crap, I'm doomed.
Wait a minute! I had a shitty day at Eagleman...maybe that was t-shirt karma collecting it's dues from me... Better yet, I volunteered at a Sprint Tri and NEVER got a t-shirt. Will that redeem me? I really love that Eagleman shirt...maybe if I burn it...?
Quote Reply

Prev Next