Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Question about sale: wsuhoops1000?!
Quote | Reply
Not long ago, I purchased an item here. In our first PM exchange, I indicated that I lived in Gainesville, FL. After finalizing the sale, I also indicated clearly in the note area on paypal that my correct address is 'XXX in Gainesville, FL' because for some reason, paypal keeps resetting my address to my old address. After one week I check on the item and realized it was sent to the old address. I contacted the seller who took a few days to answer as he was away on vacation and explained what the situation was. I told him I would check with the landlord since we were renting last year. The landlord went to the place and was told that the item was returned. I have contacted the seller to check whether he has received it back and just received a short 'I'll let you know' email back. It's not a lot of money. $100. But...it's still $100 and I clearly indicated what the correct address was. So, at what point do you contact paypal for a dispute? Or is it just my fault? The address on paypal is wrong and the note about the correct address doesn't change that?

The sale was done before July 4 weekend.
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 29, 15 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on when the item was delivered to the wrong address and what date it was returned to USPS ( or fedex or ups). It's hard as a buyer because you want the item now and don't want to wait. Just be patient. Most everyone on here are decent folk and I'm sure the seller is not trying to screw you over.

Assume shipping takes 5-7 days after the sale to get to a location. Sometimes longer depending on how long after the sale the seller shipped it out. Once it was delivered to the incorrect address it would take another 5-7 days to get back to the seller which in turn another 5-7 days to finally reach you. That's 20+ days.

I've been on the receiving end of both sending an item to the wrong address due to incorrect PayPal info and having something shipped to my old address because PayPal didn't save my new contact. Just be patient. At the very least the seller should eat the cost of shipping you the item to the correct address.
Last edited by: adktriguy46: Jul 28, 15 4:20
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The item was delivered July 6. I contacted the landlord on July 10 and emailed the seller back on July 12 with the info that the item was sent back.
I'm being patient, no problem. I just wish I could get answers from the seller a bit faster than 4-5 days...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah for sure that's frustrating. There's really no excuse for that. Perhaps just ask for your money back and go elsewhere? What was the item?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedals. I'm a bit frustrated as I have sidekick for gmail and I know that he opened my last email and just didn't bother answering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be inclined to open a claim with PayPal then. There really isn't an excuse for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I would probably out the seller on here so we don't have similar issues in the future.

I mean - we are a pretty great community here and don't want people who don't treat others with respect.

And "only $100" shoot, that is a ton of money to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've emailed the seller and asked for a refund. I think that's been long enough now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold something on a different site and had the opposite experience. The buyer sent me an address just to calculate the shipping. He then paid through Paypal and as a seller I was required to use the verified Paypal address or lose the seller protections. However, it was the same city, so I didn't notice that it was a different address than the one emailed to me a week prior, especially since the calculated shipping amount was exactly the same. He was livid, and was actually a jerk about it, blaming me for him not knowing how to change the address in Paypal (and also him not notifying me that the address in PP was different). To make matters worse, he didn't have a car to get the item from the address it went to. Fortunately, it was the address to his parent's second home, but they weren't going to be home for a couple of weeks. After being on the receiving end of name calling, I ended up sending him enough money to cover cab fare. I really shouldn't have felt obligated to, but it was easier to do that and just be done with it and also maintain my perfect track record as a seller.

I responded to his concerns almost immediately, and it sounds like your situation would be handled much better if the seller were to do the same. As others have said, it sounds like it could still be within a reasonable timeframe, but the seller really should give you solid expectations.

Francois wrote:
Not long ago, I purchased an item here. In our first PM exchange, I indicated that I lived in Gainesville, FL. After finalizing the sale, I also indicated clearly in the note area on paypal that my correct address is 'XXX in Gainesville, FL' because for some reason, paypal keeps resetting my address to my old address. After one week I check on the item and realized it was sent to the old address. I contacted the seller who took a few days to answer as he was away on vacation and explained what the situation was. I told him I would check with the landlord since we were renting last year. The landlord went to the place and was told that the item was returned. I have contacted the seller to check whether he has received it back and just received a short 'I'll let you know' email back. It's not a lot of money. $100. But...it's still $100 and I clearly indicated what the correct address was. So, at what point do you contact paypal for a dispute? Or is it just my fault? The address on paypal is wrong and the note about the correct address doesn't change that?

The sale was done before July 4 weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's been selling relatively regularly for 2 years on here, so I don't mind being patient but now, that's a bit too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being patient is one thing. Being ignored is another entirely. Even if there's no news a simple " I've no news yet" would suffice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois,

What probably happen was he sent it using the paypal click-n-ship and missed/forgot your note.

If you sent a product payment rather than gift etc, your certified address shows up and it protects the seller in disputes.

Take it these are only pedals and the seller is stalling you out, a paypal dispute at this time is appropriate. It may take some time (~30d) but at least youll get back some surf-n-turf cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've emailed him today to get a refund. If it's not acknowledged within 24hrs, I will go to PayPal for a dispute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally think of Paypal claims as falling into one of two categories - item not received or item not as described. If you say the item was not received, Paypal will ask the seller for a tracking number that shows delivery made to the verified address. If he can produce such evidence, I am curious to see how Paypal will respond to this dispute. Please keep us posted.

Quote | Reply
Received by the person who bought it is the underlying assumption made here. It was clearly indicated in my note
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paypal is only going to care about the verified address associated with the transaction. From their point of view, that is where the seller is obligated to ship.

Quote | Reply
If THEIR system fucks up and THEIR DB can't tie the correct address to correct account holder THEY are responsible. As I explained i have changed my address on my account. But their system seems to revert it back each time. Others seem to have had similar issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sold a bike to a wonderful STer last week. The individual wanted the package shipped to an address that differed from the verified one. The person was able to update their address in the Paypal system after the fact, but was unable to apply said address to prior transactions (including ours). Paypal's advice was for me to refund the money and complete the transaction again, this time with the buyer identifying the correct shipping address.

By placing your Gainesville address in a note, you acknowledged that the verified address was not the correct one. From Paypal's point of view, they will likely argue that the onus is on you to complete the transaction with the correct address. Again, this is why I am curious to see how Paypal responds to this. I am not trying to ruffle your feathers but instead share my personal experience. You are expecting consideration from them that, in my view, will likely not transpire.

With all of that said, it doesn't excuse the seller ignoring you. I hope you are able to get resolution.

Quote | Reply
I will then argue with them that they do have a few bugs in their system as is the case with any piece of software. Whether it's web-based or not. It's up to them to ensure their service works. I have already pointed out their DB issues. Incidentally, Amazon used to have a similar issue, which was addressed quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still no answer today...Nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsuhoops1000 is the seller. After ignoring my messages he finally answered today when I said I would start a dispute. Beware of this seller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
If THEIR system fucks up and THEIR DB can't tie the correct address to correct account holder THEY are responsible. As I explained i have changed my address on my account. But their system seems to revert it back each time. Others seem to have had similar issues.

I ran into this problem since paypal was separated from Ebay.
I had people sent stuffs to my old address and cannot update my new address online. I finally called in and the reps said that ppal requires everyone to update the CC information that verify the current address...and they will test it with a $1.95 charge..but ppal will provide a code of the transaction so you can submit that code back into your paypal to get refund!!! it's a weird way to verify ppal member's CC or bank account but it's safer to verify their members with real information that come from CC account.

Formerly known SCENERYNW
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [Tri_biker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_biker wrote:
I generally think of Paypal claims as falling into one of two categories - item not received or item not as described. If you say the item was not received, Paypal will ask the seller for a tracking number that shows delivery made to the verified address. If he can produce such evidence, I am curious to see how Paypal will respond to this dispute. Please keep us posted.

You can still get the money back from Paypal, but there is a really long process.
1. You have to call them and ask for help
2. They will ask you to go to the FBI or so website to file a claim about the item
3. They will ask you about 2-3 days business to get all the files coming to the system and will call you back let you know that you will have refund

It happens to me before and I have to go over that process, it takes too much times but worth to get all of your money back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
wsuhoops1000 is the seller. After ignoring my messages he finally answered today when I said I would start a dispute. Beware of this seller.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about sale [minhjerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply

Prev Next