Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA: Don't buy from user stupidflanders
Quote | Reply
Edit: I decided to out user stupidflanders so nobody else gets burned by him

So this is just a PSA about why NOT to send PayPal gift.

I have been in this forum for a number of years and have bought and sold numerous items without incident.

I posted in the classifieds asking if a Basebar was available from a seller. A different user saw my post a pm'do me saying he had one for sale and would ship out if I got him the money.

As usual on this forum I PayPal gifted to save user the fees as I always do.

Well needless to say I never received said Item!!

It's been over 2 weeks and all attempts (7 emails) to contact user have gone with no repsonse.

I assume he gets the messages as he was active in the forums as of yesterday.

It was not a lot of money and I have made slowman aware of it.

I am also not here to burn anyone although I would like to

It's just a word of warning to make sure you pay the extra for the insurance

Slowman if this is not appropriate feel free to take it down

[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/...2524C7D1BC2.jpg.html][/url
[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/...26ED2B1EFDC.jpg.html][/url]

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Last edited by: surfNJmatt: Sep 15, 15 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. 3% is a small price for protection, even on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always been paranoid to buy something through classified because of these types of issues.
So, based on your experience and if you can do it again, you would do paypal gift with insurance?

Or is there some other way to do it, like paypal without gift with insurance?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bought and sold a ton through here and not had any issues. For me, I don't mind the small paypal fee just so I don't worry about it. It's a very small fee and typically I find deals that are still deals even with the paypal fee. I know many are penny pinchers, and I don't like to throw away money, but one bad incident where you lose the investment can outweigh any savings realized by gifting the paypal. Just my $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an aside, and not to take away from your message which I think is incredibly reasonable (esp if it's an expensive item), don't buy something that something that says "$$ shipped" and send just the "$$" amount through the non-gift without notifying the seller.

It's unfair to blindside the seller to paying for your insurance. Add the 3% ($$/1.03).

Happened a couple times and sort of peeves me.

auto208562 wrote:
I have always been paranoid to buy something through classified because of these types of issues.
So, based on your experience and if you can do it again, you would do paypal gift with insurance?

Two general options to send money:
Gifting (in Paypal's eyes, there is no transaction of goods/services) [No Fee]
Sale (good/service transaction that includes a quality assurance) [~3% fee]
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Sep 15, 15 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that has an issue with lying about the nature of the transaction to Paypal to save 3%? Seems like outright fraud. I've volunteered an extra 3% on things I've bought to avoid having to be dishonest about the item being a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always give the buyer the option of gifting or adding 3%, it's been about a 50/50 split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $30, I have no problem using PayPal gift. Especially when the seller isn't charging shipping. But for high dollar items, I'd definitely NOT use the gift option. I've been majorly ripped off (on this site, by a fraudster) before on a high-dollar item, and wound up having to do a chargeback on my credit card to PayPal. In return, they blacklisted me for years.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:

Of course I will use classifieds again.

Never had an issue before this.

I will just pay the extra 3% to do standard PayPal
I blame myself for sending gift which is why I have not "outed" the person

But if I see him selling in classifieds again I will before to post that he is a non shipper

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Am I the only one that has an issue with lying about the nature of the transaction to Paypal to save 3%? Seems like outright fraud. I've volunteered an extra 3% on things I've bought to avoid having to be dishonest about the item being a gift.

This has crossed my mind from time to time.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just you.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't paypal get paid either way? If its not a gift, the recipient pays a fee. If its a gift, the sender pays a fee (you can see it on the OP's screen shot)...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Doesn't paypal get paid either way? If its not a gift, the recipient pays a fee. If its a gift, the sender pays a fee (you can see it on the OP's screen shot)...

Yes, The sender pays the fee

so it just saves the seller the fee

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:

Think that sender fee goes away if you link your bank to Paypal and use an actual direct transaction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
gibson00 wrote:

Yes, The sender pays the fee

so it just saves the seller the fee

Then I guess I misunderstood what a Paypal gift is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I send and receive money through Paypal all the time and neither person pays a fee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to hang out in a camera equipment forum, and what started as a good willed, lightly policed buy/sell forum eventually became rampant with fraud. Usually the fraudsters were pretty obvious due to poor command of the language or lack of knowledge of the field, but I did get burned once. The pics and description were lifted verbatim from an ebay ad, and I didn't ask enough questions. Luckily, paypal had my back. I'm actually surprised that the slowtwitch buy/sell has remained relatively safe.

A few additional tips for high dollar items:
- only buy from established posters-- I always look up a seller's posting history here to make sure they are legit. (Look for posts outside of buy/sell and the "fluff" posts to get the count up)
- establish some level of dialogue before purchasing. Even if you don't care, ask detailed questions that require knowledge of the item to answer, or another good one is to ask for additional pics of a specific part.
- search ebay and google for identical pics / language prior to purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only when you are using your bank account or paypal balance as the funding source...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
I used to hang out in a camera equipment forum, and what started as a good willed, lightly policed buy/sell forum eventually became rampant with fraud. Usually the fraudsters were pretty obvious due to poor command of the language or lack of knowledge of the field, but I did get burned once. The pics and description were lifted verbatim from an ebay ad, and I didn't ask enough questions. Luckily, paypal had my back. I'm actually surprised that the slowtwitch buy/sell has remained relatively safe.

A few additional tips for high dollar items:
- only buy from established posters-- I always look up a seller's posting history here to make sure they are legit. (Look for posts outside of buy/sell and the "fluff" posts to get the count up)
- establish some level of dialogue before purchasing. Even if you don't care, ask detailed questions that require knowledge of the item to answer, or another good one is to ask for additional pics of a specific part.
- search ebay and google for identical pics / language prior to purchase.

This is an established user

Registered 3 years ago

post on lots of topics

Like I said this is a great website and great classifieds.

This was just a PSA not to gift paypal

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - got it. Makes sense, but seems like an easy way to avoid one party having to pay a fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is really odd. Apparently whoever it is does not give a rip about his/her reputation. If they do not remedy the situation in the next week or so, I would definitely put them on full blast. (mods may not appreciate that, but would-be buyers should know)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
That is really odd. Apparently whoever it is does not give a rip about his/her reputation. If they do not remedy the situation in the next week or so, I would definitely put them on full blast. (mods may not appreciate that, but would-be buyers should know)

I will not put them on blast. It was only $30

the Mods have been made aware

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why not out them as ripping you off with changing the title of this thread with something like

"hey %ST Username% are you going to deliver my basebar or what?"

that should resolve it relatively quickly....

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
So this is just a PSA about why NOT to send PayPal gift.

I have been in this forum for a number of years and have bought and sold numerous items without incident.

I posted in the classifieds asking if a Basebar was available from a seller. A different user saw my post a pm'do me saying he had one for sale and would ship out if I got him the money.

As usual on this forum I PayPal gifted to save user the fees as I always do.

Well needless to say I never received said Item!!

It's been over 2 weeks and all attempts (7 emails) to contact user have gone with no repsonse.

I assume he gets the messages as he was active in the forums as of yesterday.

It was not a lot of money and I have made slowman aware of it.

I am also not here to burn anyone although I would like to

It's just a word of warning to make sure you pay the extra for the insurance

Slowman if this is not appropriate feel free to take it down

[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/...2524C7D1BC2.jpg.html][/url
[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/...26ED2B1EFDC.jpg.html][/url]

It appears you used a Visa? If so, easy solution here. Just call your CC and request a charge back.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Don't do PayPal gift [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
Just call your CC and request a charge back.
If the primary funding source is rejected and/or contested, they'll just roll over to the backup source - which is usually a bank account.
Quote Reply

Prev Next