Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona 1985 finisher shirt
Quote | Reply
I somehow have a short-sleeve navy blue, medium Kona finisher shirt from 1985. Shirt is in great condition. Primary sponsor was Bud Light. secondary sponsor (on sleeve only) was Baskin Robbins.

I am pretty sure I did not earn the shirt, as I would have been drunk & stoned off my ass that entire first semester of college in 1985. In fact, I SHOULD have been sponsored by Bud Light myself.

The point is, I would be happy to mail it to anyone who earned it. If you did the race yourself, I'll send it on my dime. if you want the shirt to give as a gift to someone who did the race, you pay $5 for shipping.

I have a couple pics I'll try to upload.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 1985 finisher shirt [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If nobody has claimed it yet I'll take it. PM to come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice. that would be framed & hanging on my office wall. Right after I sent it to Scott Tinley to sign. :) I think I was 13 then. '85 was probably the first time I'd seen the race somewhere, probably in SI or something. Maybe on TV before Knight Rider.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Last edited by: Hounddog: Mar 1, 11 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, what a find! i was one year old. not much of a swimmer at that age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sold (well, given) to a guy who did the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 1985 finisher shirt [StuM07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 30 and got in thru the lottery in 85 and 86. I guit doing triathlons around 1990. Then had a friend that got hooked about five years and got me interested again. Did Louisville last year and the darn thing like to have killed me, but I finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome and nice of you to give it to the finisher.

That was the year I qualified, at a Bug Light event, and then proceeded to break my leg in a pickup football game not long afterwards. I would have/should have been at that starting line. No doubt my life would have taken a different turn had I gone. Instead settled down and didn't do another triathlon for 14 years!

Would not have met my wife and had 3 great kids with her. Or at least I'd have met her and she'd be someone else's wife!!!
Quote Reply