Yep, the search continues.....

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shipping to NZ looks like it should be about $75 for one wheel and 2 wheels should be about $115.

For others interested... the UK is about $65-70 for one wheel and 2 wheels will be about $95-100.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPORT TAXES AND DUTIES ETC.

Chris,

Any estimate for Australia (e.g. Brisbane 4000). Looking at 60mm front and rear.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, have you gotten a chance to put them on a speed concept yet? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any information on the weight/launch date/price of your "climber wheels?"
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number114 wrote:

Check out the Tririg video review of the wheels. They are on a SC and look absolutely amazing one them!!

Free set of wheels for helping to answer a question, Chris?? ;)

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here is the real question...

How much do they cost?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [grnfsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of that info is now on the page if you sign up for the launch.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the disc wheel be track compatible/convertible?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number114 wrote:

Tririg tested on the speed concept and didn't have any issues. Additionaly, I discussed our dimensions with Carl from Trek and he said everything should be ok.

You should be in good shape,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you going to make tubular wheels?

rolle1br wrote:
Any information on the weight/launch date/price of your "climber wheels?"

We are putting all of our money into our carbon wheels for the pre-order. The largest interest is in the carbon wheels and our minimum order quantity of FLO CLIMBERS was a little too high to keep our money tied up in those.

Assuming the pre-order goes well, we should have the FLO CLIMBERS out fairly soon after. Our estimated pricing for the FLO CLIMBERS is currently $499 for the set. They will feature Sapim CX-Ray spokes and the same FLO VORTEX hubs and WIDE RIDE rims you find on our carbon wheels. Ceramic upgrades will be $100 per wheel.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any additional questions,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [dabooz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dabooz wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Based on this, I assume you will be posting a list of bikes that you have tested and confirmed as fitting/not fitting with the launch?

Yes we certainly will. Is there a certain bike are you questioning?

Canadian, If you want to test either a Quintana Roo cd0.1 or Lucero Lite, PM me. My girlfriend and I live in Las Vegas and would be more than happy to help out!

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm getting my testing schedule put together any day now. I may PM you if needed. I really appreciate the help.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [rs2011] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rs2011 wrote:
Quote:
Shipping to NZ looks like it should be about $75 for one wheel and 2 wheels should be about $115.

For others interested... the UK is about $65-70 for one wheel and 2 wheels will be about $95-100.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPORT TAXES AND DUTIES ETC.

Chris,

Any estimate for Australia (e.g. Brisbane 4000). Looking at 60mm front and rear.

Thanks.

For some reason USPS has different rules for large packages shipping to Australia. I spent over an hour at the post office the other week trying to figure this out. 2 wheels shipped to Australia is about $325. It's frustrating because the same packaged shipped to NZ is $115.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
number114 wrote:

Check out the Tririg video review of the wheels. They are on a SC and look absolutely amazing one them!!

Free set of wheels for helping to answer a question, Chris?? ;)

:)

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Any estimate for shipping to Canada (e.g. Ontario, L4E 2P1). Looking at 60mm front and rear.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [shuke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shuke wrote:
Will the disc wheel be track compatible/convertible?

Unfortunately, at this point it will not be. Sorry about that.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [cachorro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cachorro wrote:
are you going to make tubular wheels?

No tubular wheels right now. Just wheels with aluminum clincher rims and carbon fiber fairings similar to a Mavic Cosmic Carbone or HED Jet.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the advantage to having ceramic bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barrel_o_monkey wrote:
Hi Chris,

Any estimate for shipping to Canada (e.g. Ontario, L4E 2P1). Looking at 60mm front and rear.

Thanks.

After a quick look, it appears a decent estimate would be in the $70-$75 dollar range for USPS priority mail international.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [b33r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b33r wrote:
What is the advantage to having ceramic bearings?

We wrote an article about that on our blog. Let me paste it below...

Quote:
Our FLO ceramic bearings are produced by a company called TPI (Technology Precision Innovation). The ball bearings are made using Silicone Nitride (Si3N4). Silicone Nitride offers a long list of improved physical properties that make the bearings ideal for high performance applications. As an example, silicone nitride bearings are used in the main engines of NASA's Space Shuttle. This means if you reach speeds high enough to launch yourself into outer space using FLO wheels with ceramic bearings, they still won't fail ;). Let's take a look at a list of the improved physical properties and a table comparing ceramic bearings and standard steel bearings.

• Improved Temperature range
  • Lower Density
  • Reduced Thermal Expansion
  • Improved Hardness, Young’s Modulus, Poisson Ratio / Excellent Wear Resistance
  • Lower Friction

Let's now detail the improved physical properties listed above and discuss why they make a better bearing.

High Temperature Range
Standard steel bearings see a reduction in their hardness when exposed to higher temperatures. Silicone nitride bearings are capable of handling much higher heat loads and do not see a reduction in hardness or life endurance when exposed to heat. For the most part the bearings of a bicycle wheel (steel or ceramic) will not experience temperatures high enough to effect the bearing. However, over time the improved temperature range of a ceramic bearing could provide an improvement.

Low Density
The density of ceramic bearings is less than one half that of a steel bearing. Knowing this, bearing manufacturers use ceramic balls with smaller diameters (shown below) which greatly reduces the influence of centrifugal force (ie. ball sliding and spinning caused by a gyratory moment). As a result, ceramic bearings show a reduction in temperature build up and an improvement when spinning at high speeds.

FLO EZO Bearing (left) w/ 10 Ball Bearings - FLO Ceramic Bearing (right) w/ 11 Smaller Ball Bearings

Thermal Expansion
The thermal expansion of silicone nitride is four times less than steel. As the ball bearings inside of a bearing heat up, they become larger which increases the overall bearing friction. Using a silicone nitride ball bearing reduces the amount of thermal expansion and as a result reduces the overal friction of the bearing.

Hardness, Young’s Modulus, Poisson Ratio / Excellent Wear Resistance
Silicone nitride bearings have improved hardness, Young's modulus and Poisson ratio. This improvement in physical properties improves the overall wear resistance and service life of the bearing.

Low Friction
All of the items listed above equal a reduction in overall bearing friction. Simply put, ceramic bearings rotate with less resistance than a standard steel bearing saving you watts and getting you to the finish line faster.

The Bottom Line
Ceramic bearings as a whole are a better quality bearing. They last longer and will help shave even more time off of your next race. Sounds like a pretty good reason to upgrade if you ask us.

Chris

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The better question might be whether ceramic bearings are worth the cost. Are there numbers on reduced wattage (due to reduced friction) or expected lifespan? With the low price point, the bearing upgrade is 20+% of the cost of a wheel, is it worth it?

Also, will disc covers be available for purchase for those considering a rear flo 60/90 + disc cover?

Can't wait to see these wheels in person!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris,

Will the Clydesdale version be part of the pre-order? What is the maximum weight of the regular 60 or 90 rear?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Do you have any plans to eventually release a 45 or 50 mm deep set? Thanks!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [peak4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peak4 wrote:
The better question might be whether ceramic bearings are worth the cost. Are there numbers on reduced wattage (due to reduced friction) or expected lifespan? With the low price point, the bearing upgrade is 20+% of the cost of a wheel, is it worth it?

I don't have any specific values on reduced wattage or lifespan. I would consider ceramic bearings more of a luxury instead of a necessity.

Also, will disc covers be available for purchase for those considering a rear flo 60/90 + disc cover?

We will not be selling disc covers. Rich from wheelbuilder has my product specs and is sending me samples to determine if his cover will work.

Can't wait to see these wheels in person!

Thank you.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [billyd0012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billyd0012 wrote:
Chris,

Will the Clydesdale version be part of the pre-order? What is the maximum weight of the regular 60 or 90 rear?

Yes, the clydesdale wheels will be part of the pre-order. The maximum recommended weight limits are 198lbs for standard builds and 242lbs for clydesdale builds.

Thanks,

You're welcome.

All the best,

Bill

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next