Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Definitely very interested in these wheels (60 front and rear for me). But I have seen nothing about any attempted tests related to long term durability. Yes, I know it's a new product so time will tell. But with custom hubs, custom spokes, and rims have any preliminary stress/fatigue tests been performed? Even though aluminum rims are not whiz-bang technology, there are still lots of examples of crap rims out there. Lots of things ride great until they fail. Has there been any talk about durability and I just haven't been able to find it?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:
Ball park what's a disc + intl shipping to NZ going to set someone like me back (just evaluation options here...) also how wide are the discs? Have you tried one in a Scott Plasma 2 frame?

PM me your address. I'll check it for you. What wheels are you planning on shipping?

All of our wheels are 27.2mm wide at the widest point of the fairings. I think I have an email from Scott regarding the Plasma 2. When I get home I'll see if I can pull it up.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60's for me

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'hell yeah', what a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [curtisboyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope lead times aren't like 6 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:
Ball park what's a disc + intl shipping to NZ going to set someone like me back (just evaluation options here...) also how wide are the discs? Have you tried one in a Scott Plasma 2 frame?

I haven't seen your address yet so I can't quote the shipping for you. When you get a chance let me know and I'll check it for you. About the Plasma 2. We didn't have a Plasma 2 to test so I wrote Scott and they responded with the following message. Keep in mind the widest point of our fairings is 27.2mm...

Quote:
Response from Scott...
I can tell you that from measurements I've taken on the Plasma 2 frame, rims wider than 28 will rub. They can roll through the frame with no problem, but when a rider uses a light hub, super thin spokes, etc, the wheels flex enough to rub. As you likely know, there are different riding styles. Some riders get out of the saddle and really push the bike side to side aggressively like a BMX bike, and when they put that kind of side load, coupled with strong pushes on the cranks, many wheels will rub. On the opposite side of that coin, there are really smooth riders who maybe have spent time on spin bikes, and only move their bodies up and down, with less side to side movement.

It's going to be a close call. If you were to pre-order wheels and they didn't fit, we will be allowing people to return them as long as they haven't been ridden. We are scheduled to test as many bikes as possible next week. I'll call around and see if I can find a Plasma 2.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:

Definitely very interested in these wheels (60 front and rear for me). But I have seen nothing about any attempted tests related to long term durability. Yes, I know it's a new product so time will tell. But with custom hubs, custom spokes, and rims have any preliminary stress/fatigue tests been performed? Even though aluminum rims are not whiz-bang technology, there are still lots of examples of crap rims out there. Lots of things ride great until they fail. Has there been any talk about durability and I just haven't been able to find it?

That's a good question. Let me give you our take. Yes our parts are custom but they are all based off of already tried and true designs. For example, our spokes are Sapim CX-Ray spokes, arguably the best in the industry. Our spokes are custom because they have a shorter bladed section to allow for a better build. This design has been used on other faired wheels in the past and Sapim hasn't seen any problems with durability when compared to standard CX-Ray Spokes.

Our hubs are custom to create a better union between the carbon fiber and the hub (on the disc). The guts of our hubs are also based on a tried an true design that has been used successfully by other manufacturers without durability issues.

Finally the rims are custom in two ways. First they are wider than usual to mate perfectly with our wide fairings. Secondly, they also have a custom section that will create a better union between the aluminum and carbon fiber. This custom feature has no structural effect on the integrity of the rim, it just creates a better bond to the carbon fiber. The rim manufacturer we are using has been building high quality rims for some of the top names in the industry for years. We are very confident in our factory and the quality of rims they produce.

To top is all off we are offering a warranty on our wheels to protect them from any manufacturing defects.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
I just hope lead times aren't like 6 months.

Full details will be available Monday but I will assure you the lead times on our first order will be nowhere near 6 months.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, can't wait to get the scoop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on this, I assume you will be posting a list of bikes that you have tested and confirmed as fitting/not fitting with the launch?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Front FLO 60 - 875 grams
Rear FLO 60 - 1061 grams
Rear FLO 60 Clydesdale - 1089 grams
Front FLO 90 - 952 grams
Rear FLO 90 - 1138 grams
Rear FLO 90 Clydesdale - 1170 grams
FLO DISC - 1260 grams
FLO DISC Clydesdale - 1299 grams

Wow. These are on par with HED weights. I expected them to be heavier.

Only if you include an extra 500g's or so of extra weight in the hed's!

http://www.hedcycling.com/...efault.asp?content=6

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Last edited by: ShoMyOFace: Feb 12, 12 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Based on this, I assume you will be posting a list of bikes that you have tested and confirmed as fitting/not fitting with the launch?

Yes we certainly will. Is there a certain bike are you questioning?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

A P3 and a Slice. I have no reason to think they won't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShoMyOFace wrote:
matto wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Front FLO 60 - 875 grams
Rear FLO 60 - 1061 grams
Rear FLO 60 Clydesdale - 1089 grams
Front FLO 90 - 952 grams
Rear FLO 90 - 1138 grams
Rear FLO 90 Clydesdale - 1170 grams
FLO DISC - 1260 grams
FLO DISC Clydesdale - 1299 grams

Wow. These are on par with HED weights. I expected them to be heavier.

You are comparing a tubular wheel to a clincher wheel. If you make that comparison, then you are certainly correct. HED's tubular wheels are lighter than our clincher wheels. I think matto was referring to the HED Jets which are also clincher wheels... Comparing the weight of the HED Jets (a clincher wheel) to the weight of FLO wheels (also clincher wheels) is an "apples to apples" comparison and our weights are much closer.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

A P3 and a Slice. I have no reason to think they won't fit.

You'll be happy to know I had them on a P3 the other day and they fit great. I'm working on a Slice next week. We'll get a report out as soon as possible.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ShoMyOFace wrote:

really? Comparing clinchers v tubulars? You have to be smarter than that...
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
ShoMyOFace wrote:

really? Comparing clinchers v tubulars? You have to be smarter than that...

What a frickin' dumb ass.....jeez some people.

I'm still in CX mode.....I only think tubular.....

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still in CX mode? Worlds are over...
Get that mind on the pavement!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to pull the trigger on some planet x clinchers, now that you are prepared to take preorders, can you list the price somewhere on the blog. I have to decide within days on what brand to purchase. The planet x sale will not last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [tandem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tandem wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on some planet x clinchers, now that you are prepared to take preorders, can you list the price somewhere on the blog. I have to decide within days on what brand to purchase. The planet x sale will not last forever.

We are finalizing details today. All information regarding our Launch and Pre-Order will be available tomorrow. That includes prices.

Thank you for your patience,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:

Shipping to NZ looks like it should be about $75 for one wheel and 2 wheels should be about $115.

For others interested... the UK is about $65-70 for one wheel and 2 wheels will be about $95-100.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPORT TAXES AND DUTIES ETC.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Last edited by: Canadian: Feb 12, 12 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tandem wrote:

let me help you out. the planet x wheels are not aero whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Comparing the weight of the HED Jets (a clincher wheel) to the weight of FLO wheels (also clincher wheels) is an "apples to apples" comparison and our weights are much closer.

Flo 60 pair is 276g heavier than a Hed Jet 6 pair from their website. Not trivial, but you're looking at, what, >$1,000 to save that weight?

For me, the only reason not to get the Flo's is that I really want a PowerTap hub. Can't just replace the rear hub because the flange heights are different and the holes in the fairing aren't in the right spot for the PowerTap. Would love some sort of workaround for that, an undrilled, unlaced rim, for example. Even charging a steep price for the rim might still be worth it.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Preorder [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be argumentive, just curious. Where did you find the data, shape? None whatsoever? If thats true thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Canadian, If you want to test either a Quintana Roo cd0.1 or Lucero Lite, PM me. My girlfriend and I live in Las Vegas and would be more than happy to help out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tandem wrote:
Not trying to be argumentive, just curious. Where did you find the data, shape? None whatsoever? If thats true thanks for the heads up.

the planet x wheels are v shaped rims with no aerodynamic consideration in mind. the rim profile was presented by planet x in a thread a little while ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next