Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
You really think the last spot on the roster will make or break the US getting a gold medal?

They fucked up the PR and brand management. In a few years if they're wondering why the sport still hasn't taken off well this would be just one more data point

The fact is women's basketball is popular at the collegiate level because it's school vs school. It doesn't translate to sustained professional interest any more than women's soccer does, at least not to the extent you're talking.

Agreed. While Women's Basketball (NCAA) did capture some attention this year based on a few personalities, it generally has to be pitched as school vs. school. Similarly, Team USA Women's Soccer leverages national pride in the World Cup and Olympics, but then nobody watches the pro teams (yes, some teams like Portland have good attendance figures). In neither case you do we have the population of cities basing their pride in their city on the outcomes of their WNBA or NWSL.

On another note: I think that anyone who says that Clark should have been put on the team should also bear the burden of telling you which player should have been left off, and why. If they can't name someone AND tell you about that player's stats or injuries or whatever, then their opinion is worthless. If they can't even name another player at her position, then their opinion is laughable.

These women all work incredibly hard to earn spots on Team USA. Putting one player on in place of another is not to be taken lightly and shouldn't be done for marketing purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Setting aside that she played four full years of varsity and therefore I believe exhausted her NCAA eligibility...

Covid gave players an extra year of eligibility. With redshirts for injuries + normal redshirts, I think there are some players who are 25 playing in college (7 years...).

Just curious, why couldnt she get the NIL deal with nike in advance?

You would think the extra eyeballs from the olympics would raise your global branding.
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posted on Twitter:

The WNBA has released a report saying:

• Attendance is up 156% from last year, and more than half of all WNBA games this year have been sellouts.

• About 400,000 fans have attended WNBA games this season, filling WNBA arenas to 94% capacity.

• This year's televised games (ABC, ESPN, etc.) are averaging 1.32 million viewers, nearly triple last season's average of 462,000.

• WNBA Countdown is averaging 741,000 viewers, a 211% increase from last year's full season average.

• The WNBA's online merchandise store has already set a single-season sales record (with 4+ months left in the season), and sales are up 756% compared to last year.

• The WNBA's social channels garnered 157 million video views through the first week of the season, an all-time high and up 380% compared to last year.

• The WNBA set an all-time high for League Pass subscriptions last month with a 355% increase vs. last season.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I posted earlier in this thread: I'm not saying the WNBA should be kissing Caitlin's ass but...

She's the needle mover. It's not Angel Reese, Sabrina Ionescu, Diana Taurasi, Breanna Stewart, A'ja Wilson, etc. This is simply the influence of one person. Well, at least 90% of it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next