Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baby Reindeer (Netflix)
Quote | Reply
I'm a little surprised there's been no conversation about this series here. But then again, I binge watched over two or three days and I don't know that I have much to say about it except that some people are exceptionally talented at taking a problem and making it immeasurably worse.

I did get a good laugh at the father's goodbye at the train station. Beyond that, not much I care to take with me going forward.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Reindeer (Netflix) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I'm a little surprised there's been no conversation about this series here. But then again, I binge watched over two or three days and I don't know that I have much to say about it except that some people are exceptionally talented at taking a problem and making it immeasurably worse.

I did get a good laugh at the father's goodbye at the train station. Beyond that, not much I care to take with me going forward.

This show is something of a slow burning phenomenon and was the most watched show on Netflix recently which is crazy for such a niche production. For those whose paths it has not crossed, it's a small show with 4 to 5 main characters that draws on the familiar depressing wells of prestige drama, plus obsessive stalking. For an episode or two it seems like it might be a dark comedy. It is not. Michaela Cole's "I may destroy you" and Phoebe Waller Bridges' "Fleabag" are the closest shows I can think of - the latter also growing out of a solo Edinburgh fringe show. I thought it was a towering achievement. The performances are incendiary, the cinematography was shockingly good and the script was deeply nuanced.

Which is not to say I enjoyed watching it. Everyone has the right to tell their story but I thought it handles one of the character's sexuality very clumsily. It's also just incredibly bleak - I can't believe the creator was able to play himself.

There's also a huge controversy in the UK as to the degree to which it's a true story (it is supposed to be). The inspiration for one of the main characters went on Piers Morgan's TV show and the interview went viral, in part because she did nothing to convince the public that she is not a crazy fabulist, like the character she allegedly inspired. But the truthiness of other aspects of the story, the identity of other key characters remain murky and I saw a Netflix exec hauled in front of some parliamentary committee to discuss it the other day.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: May 15, 24 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the one where a fat ass ugly girl gets obsessed with a bartender?

I think I saw the trailer for it while skimming shows and not sure how anyone could stand to watch that whale of a human female on the screen for more than ten seconds. Gross.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Reindeer (Netflix) [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a class act until the end, aren't you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

I think I saw the trailer for it while skimming shows and not sure how anyone could stand to watch that whale of a human female on the screen for more than ten seconds. Gross.

You always add such quality content to the forum.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Reindeer (Netflix) [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly agree with all of that. Emotionally it leaves you in a similar place as Joker in that it's painfully familiar in some ways and unrelatable and loathsome in others, all the while you remain empathetically tethered to the miserable plight of the protagonist. I didn't want to take that journey with him and yet I was invested to know where we were going. The final scene very much felt like it was breaking the 4th wall and telling us we're no better than him, or her. Or maybe that's projection on my part, I don't know. I've had mixed feelings about it since watching and have loosely followed the drama that's unfolded in the wake of the series (Piers' interview, real life stalking, etc.) and that feels about right. Of course it would spill over to us on this side of the screen because it's ultimately about us.

I don't know if I'd recommend it any more than I would Joker for that reason. It's less of a TV series than it is an experience and it isn't a pleasant one, and as with Joker it doesn't end when the credits roll.

If you've watched it once it's probably worth a second viewing for all the reasons you described. You won't catch all the nuance and subtexts your first time around.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Reindeer (Netflix) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
SDG wrote:

Clearly he only asked the question to get his feelings about fat people out in the world one more time. The trailer was linked right in the OP for fuck's sake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

2 years from now someone on this forum is going to sell a script to Netflix about a loser who becomes obsessed with debasing himself on an obscure platform for old triathletes. Chasing the diminishing shock value of posting whatever moronic or intentionally offensive thing pops into his head until there's nothing left.

Sorry, no cup of tea for you.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I really liked this show, the darkness just drew us in. It was kind of the same feeling I had when I watched "Leaving Las Vegas", you keep hoping or thinking there may be some feel good resolution at the end, but it just gets worse and worse.

I say give it an episode or two, if it doesnt hook you, then move on. But beware, if it does grab your interest, dont expect Happy Days....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I made it through two episodes before giving up on it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Reindeer (Netflix) [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
slowguy wrote:
SDG wrote:

Clearly he only asked the question to get his feelings about fat people out in the world one more time. The trailer was linked right in the OP for fuck's sake.

He asked the question to get the reactions he craves, and is getting.

If people could recognise this as his (and other twatwaffles, who shall go unnamed) MO and stop responding...

Quote Reply