Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Towing a trailer, toll rates, and related misc... [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

What's the typical weight for a horse? For comparison, my car is just under 3000 lbs. With the trailer, combined weight was around 5400 lbs.

And I take it you can't tie down a horse tightly like you would a car. I assume the horse is loosely reined to the trailer, and naturally penned in closely on the sides? And the horse can only stand in place the whole way?

My trailer was 4,500 pounds and had room for two horses. My 1,100 lb horse was usually on his own- he was not a fan of the trailer. He preferred to ride loose in the trailer with the divider removed - so it was like a 8’x10’ open box. He usually rode facing the back. But if I was going in the mountains I put the divider in so he could lean on it- but had to stand in place.

Then there was a 50 gallon water tank that added weight.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 14, 24 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you best the F1 lap times?

Side note: I'm about to join the COTA flag marshal crew. In addition to the big races I already work, I'll be working track days, prototype testing, etc.

My next goal is to get out and work more tracks. The Glen would be fun. Laguna Seca is probably my top track to want to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Triocd wrote:
I'm confused. Why did you trailer an additional car? I know driving a uhaul around town is annoying but it seems like a minor annoyance compared to trailering a car. That seems like a major annoyance, having to trailer a car for a long distance.

To clarify, I usually just drive the Porsche to/from the track as I'm within an hour of the club's "home" tracks in the VA/DC area.

But Watkins Glen is a famous track up by finger lakes region of NY, about a 630 mile round trip from DC-area. I decided that driving the car 300miles to the event, driving it very hard for 3 days, then driving it back 300miles to home puts some unnecessary wear on components optimized for track driving (e.g. tires that are great for dry, merely ok for wet). By putting the car on a trailer and towing it up there means no worries other than the hard driving track miles. And even if something broke, I'm not stranded.

But unlike other club members, I don't own a trailer - hence the u-haul rental, which I learned about from some club members. My SUV (FJ cruiser) didn't pass u-haul's check as being capable of towing their trailer + my car. So I went down the route of renting a tow vehicle. National and Hertz don't allow towing on their rentals. So a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram pickup truck from Enterprise became the tow vehicle. And that meant I could easily load my stuff, wife's stuff, extra set of rain tires, various tools - jack, jack stands, etc. Even planned to bring my bike, but weather looked iffy for riding, so that stayed behind.

Trailer was detached at the track, and driving to/from hotel or in town was just driving the Dodge Ram. -- not the different from most folks that drive these kinds of trucks as their daily drivers.

And during the drive with the trailer, I wondered about tolls ....

Roger that. You were towing a race car. I was under the impression you were towing a comfort car while visiting a famous duathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Towing a trailer, toll rates, and related misc... [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Did you best the F1 lap times?

Side note: I'm about to join the COTA flag marshal crew. In addition to the big races I already work, I'll be working track days, prototype testing, etc.

My next goal is to get out and work more tracks. The Glen would be fun. Laguna Seca is probably my top track to want to work.

Flag stations are the best seats in the house!

At the Glen, flaggers held up furled green and white flags in an X pattern. I had never seen that before and did not know what that meant at the time. Learned it's their signal for 5mins remaining in the session before the checkered flag. Other tracks just put out a board with a '5' on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

What's the typical weight for a horse? For comparison, my car is just under 3000 lbs. With the trailer, combined weight was around 5400 lbs.

And I take it you can't tie down a horse tightly like you would a car. I assume the horse is loosely reined to the trailer, and naturally penned in closely on the sides? And the horse can only stand in place the whole way?

You just reminded me of a funny song about how much horses weigh

Quote Reply

Prev Next