Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Israel [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
windywave wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I am not sure that this has played out the way they envisaged

I think that wanted to be seen as showing no favours, instead of which they have albeit unintentionally (?) drawn an equivalence

We've not seen the evidence for Israel, the evidence for Hamas is clear, but I do not think its beyond the realm of possibility that starvation and targetting civilians have been deliberate and as opposed to Chad and the other apologists here, being a democracy would not prevent one from committing a war crime.....

Care to wager whether the Israeli indictment stands? It ever goes to trial?

Have you paused to ask cui bono from this?

Nobody has been indicted. Kahn filed an application for arrest warrants. ICC judges will now determine whether the evidence provided by Khan is enough to go ahead with formally issuing the arrest warrants, that could take months.

I know they filed the same for leaders of Hamas. I would think given the video evidence they would be a slam dunk.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Nutella wrote:
windywave wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I am not sure that this has played out the way they envisaged

I think that wanted to be seen as showing no favours, instead of which they have albeit unintentionally (?) drawn an equivalence

We've not seen the evidence for Israel, the evidence for Hamas is clear, but I do not think its beyond the realm of possibility that starvation and targetting civilians have been deliberate and as opposed to Chad and the other apologists here, being a democracy would not prevent one from committing a war crime.....

Care to wager whether the Israeli indictment stands? It ever goes to trial?

Have you paused to ask cui bono from this?

Nobody has been indicted. Kahn filed an application for arrest warrants. ICC judges will now determine whether the evidence provided by Khan is enough to go ahead with formally issuing the arrest warrants, that could take months.

I know they filed the same for leaders of Hamas. I would think given the video evidence they would be a slam dunk.

The case against Hamas appears to be a slam dunk. They basically brag about what they are accused of.

I am not seeing the same for Bibi or Gallant. Israel has a long history of whistleblowers so perhaps they will have some testimony but currently I am not seeing a deliberate strategy of war crimes by Israel.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.com/...rticles/cp66e6ppzd0o

Blinken indicates support for sanctions against the ICC.

If they go nuclear and lock the members out of the financial system it'll make life hard for them
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recognition of Palestinian State be an interesting few weeks

Just to preempt windy and chad - I know Ireland, Scandanavia are in irrelevance, that this is a move supporting Hamas etc etc
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp66e6ppzd0o

Blinken indicates support for sanctions against the ICC.

If they go nuclear and lock the members out of the financial system it'll make life hard for them

Hard to think of a better gift to China, Russia, and other bad actors on the world stage than doing what you want.

But of course you want to provide a gift to them in service of hypocrisy.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the likelyhood of that happening is pretty much zero, it is literally endorsing an end to any restrictions on a countries behavior and the rules based system we have generally all worked within post WWII (irrespective of signing up to the ICC)

Sanctions on the ICC would effectively be carte blanche as there are no other avenues of recourse unless we are expecting the Russian, Chinese and Iranian judicial systems to reign in their bad actors, or even worse we make a determination that the rules apply to them but not to others.

Applying for arrest warrants and getting them are two completely different actions and I doubt very much even the US wants to be seen to pre-emptively threaten an international institution other countries accept unnecessarily.

Of course, this combined with three more countries recognition of Palestine will just bring out the same tired arguments; its not the right time, the process needs to be agreed (the most disingenuous argument ever given that not agreeing is the desired outcome of the current Israeli government and Hamas - in that sense they both agree on one thing), its rewarding Hamas etc

The reality is there will never be an acceptable time for countries to recognise Palestine in the views of Netanyahu, Gvir and Smotrich and their settlers because they fundamentally dont agree it should exist, so without some definitive action - which they will never agree to - nothing will change
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
It amazes me that some people seem to think that because a country is a democracy its incapable of having individuals capable or guilty of committing war crimes.

It would seem to be very possible to have a democracy, a open and transparent judicial system and still be capable of committing war crimes.

Being a democracy and having a open judicial system would not, for istance prevent Gvir and Netanyahu and their colleagues from using starvation as a weapon.

It shows a total lack of critical thinking that having one prevents the other, let alone the idea that Israel can not be guity of anything, its all driven by anti-semitism / hatred of jews / the zionist state.

That shit may have flown 20 years ago when there was a great deal more latitude given the politics in the region, now Israel is run by extremists and racists, people see through it.

Your responses stole the words out of my mouth.

This is another example of both corruption and tyranny in the name of religion, but its really just a capitulation to keep Netanyahu in power.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/nepotism-at-work-the-committee-to-appoint-rabbinical-judges/?_gl=1*1s83o2q*_ga*OTE1MzgyNzE4LjE3MDk1ODgzMzE.*_ga_RJR2XWQR34*MTcxNjQ3OTE1NC4xOS4xLjE3MTY0NzkyMTMuMC4wLjA.

What has amazed me in learning more about israel over the last year is the lack of set rules or even norms. When Israel was founded, everybody wanted it to be a democracy with some sort of charter/constitution to put the rules. But more religious stakeholders objected in what is known as Ben Gurion's compromise. That compromise is what may well end it as a democracy.

https://israeled.org/resources/documents/david-ben-gurion-and-the-status-quo-agreement-jewish-laws-to-be-protected-in-the-coming-state/#:~:text=The%20Status-Quo%20Agreement%20is%20an%20understanding%20reached%20between,coming%20state%20specific%20Jewish%20laws%20will%20be%20protected.

A secular gov't's politics is driven by the strongest popular objectives of the populist. For the most part there is a rational basis for every decision, even if its wrong morally, legally, or whatever. An autocracy is driven by the political whims of people claiming divine inspiration. There is no rational goal or outcome for those that don't share those exact views. I mean, we can all agree that certain behavior is abhorrent. Would anybody here want to live in a society where your divorce, will execution, or rights to citizenship are officiated/determined by religous fundamentalist? Does anybody believe they would stop here? Read the link above about Ben Gurion's compromise. While most democracies have become less religious, Israel has gotten more, and more extreme. At some point there will be a reckoning of whether it's a secular democracy or a theocracy limiting rights of those who are not of a specific sect of their religion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next