Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
That is a western perspective. China knows that it will own Taiwan sooner or later. In their mind it is inevitable. They are much less concerned about its current commerce with the West. Just look what they did with Hong Kong. They would be much happier to take TSMC intact and avoid lethal sanctions, but those aren't deal breakers for them. They also know how dependent the West is on China.

The mutually-assured economic damage is a nice dis-incentive. But I agree that FishyJoe has rose-colored glasses on both about the strength of that disincentive and the notion that China's military is as disfunctional as Russia's.
Quote Reply
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't think the US needs to defend Taiwan directly. That being said, the US and Western Countries will do irrevocable damage to China without a direct war. China is an importer of food and a lot of other things. They can't get everything from Russia without millions of people starving to death. Would the Chinese people go back to North Korea living conditions? Taiwan is just another island without commerce with the West, it is worthless without that trade.

That is a western perspective. China knows that it will own Taiwan sooner or later. In their mind it is inevitable. They are much less concerned about its current commerce with the West. Just look what they did with Hong Kong. They would be much happier to take TSMC intact and avoid lethal sanctions, but those aren't deal breakers for them. They also know how dependent the West is on China.

I doubt they will take anything intact. It doesn't take much to render the machines inoperable. Remove a few key components and throw them in the ocean, it's a piece of junk. It only takes a few minutes to wipe the software. Maybe they could somehow get the stuff working in a few years, by then it will be obsolete. And that's not even counting the engineers who have spent decades learning their craft. I doubt they are going to happily work for the CCP. I suppose they could make them prisoners and do forced labor, but that still leaves them looking backwards. Those forced laborers are not going to learn new skills and innovate new technology.

It's not going to be Hong Kong. That was a negotiated transfer. It's a far cry from a military invasion.
Quote Reply
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that war with China near China's corner of the globe could be very, very difficult.
---
I mean, one of the classic blunders is to never get involved in a land war in Asia. I'm guessing that it's graduating to a water war in Asian waters as well.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
torrey wrote:

The mutually-assured economic damage is a nice dis-incentive. But I agree that FishyJoe has rose-colored glasses on both about the strength of that disincentive and the notion that China's military is as disfunctional as Russia's.

They have replaced nearly their entire military leadership. Not for performance, but loyalty. And Russia has at least some historic military tradition and recent combat experience. The Chinese have very little of that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
torrey wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't think the US needs to defend Taiwan directly. That being said, the US and Western Countries will do irrevocable damage to China without a direct war. China is an importer of food and a lot of other things. They can't get everything from Russia without millions of people starving to death. Would the Chinese people go back to North Korea living conditions? Taiwan is just another island without commerce with the West, it is worthless without that trade.

I doubt they will take anything intact. It doesn't take much to render the machines inoperable. Remove a few key components and throw them in the ocean, it's a piece of junk. It only takes a few minutes to wipe the software. Maybe they could somehow get the stuff working in a few years, by then it will be obsolete. And that's not even counting the engineers who have spent decades learning their craft. I doubt they are going to happily work for the CCP. I suppose they could make them prisoners and do forced labor, but that still leaves them looking backwards. Those forced laborers are not going to learn new skills and innovate new technology.

It's not going to be Hong Kong. That was a negotiated transfer. It's a far cry from a military invasion.
The take TSMC intact and avoid sanctions future might come to pass if China takes over Taiwan through other than direct military means. They are playing more than one angle at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think China is playing the long game

Lots of western educated Chinese have returned to China to start businesses support start ups I'm shenzhen

I think the idea that Taiwan is going to some how be vandalised or that the US or for that matter anyone else is going to decide Taiwan is just no e step to far for China is for the birds

China has bought / is buying its influence with belt and road, with exporting millions of Chinese to support development on its boarders and internationally and Taiwan is not going to be the single thing that stops China from pursuing its foreign policy

Ultimately we are too dependent on China for a full on Russian style embargo and sanctions so our options are somewhat limited
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

They have replaced nearly their entire military leadership. Not for performance, but loyalty. And Russia has at least some historic military tradition and recent combat experience. The Chinese have very little of that.

If you think the Chinese military will show anything like the incompetence of the Russian military I think you will be making a grave miscalculation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
China had problems mobilising its military to respond to the sichuan earthquake

That said, I agree that we should not think they've neglected their military spend or training since then in the same way Russia appeared to

I think underestimating them politically, economically and militarily would be an error
Quote Reply
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
on a tangential subject, did this guy (gilbeau) ever cross your transom? not a good press day for him.

Nope. Sounds like exactly the kind of guy Fat Leonard was looking for, but no, I never came across him.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: New Chinese aircraft carrier [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Lots of western educated Chinese have returned to China to start businesses support start ups I'm shenzhen

I think the idea that Taiwan is going to some how be vandalised or that the US or for that matter anyone else is going to decide Taiwan is just no e step to far for China is for the birds

China has bought / is buying its influence with belt and road, with exporting millions of Chinese to support development on its boarders and internationally and Taiwan is not going to be the single thing that stops China from pursuing its foreign policy

Ultimately we are too dependent on China for a full on Russian style embargo and sanctions so our options are somewhat limited

People keep on saying this long game, but I'm not so sure. It's more about Xi maintaining power than any kind of long term strategy. The belt and road stuff is turning into a financial disaster. A lot of the stuff built is already crumbling or unfinished and loading up countries in debt.

Southeast Asian countries have soured relations because of the South China Sea actions. Whoever would have thought that Viet Nam would turn on China and become warm to the US?

They also have a population problem that is a direct result of their 'long term' thinking.

It's one thing to have long term plans. But if those long term plans are bad, it's often worse than doing nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

People keep on saying this long game, but I'm not so sure. It's more about Xi maintaining power than any kind of long term strategy. The belt and road stuff is turning into a financial disaster. A lot of the stuff built is already crumbling or unfinished and loading up countries in debt.

Southeast Asian countries have soured relations because of the South China Sea actions. Whoever would have thought that Viet Nam would turn on China and become warm to the US?

They also have a population problem that is a direct result of their 'long term' thinking.

It's one thing to have long term plans. But if those long term plans are bad, it's often worse than doing nothing.

Depends on how you define "long game," but there's open reporting that Xi Jinping has directed his military to be ready to take Taiwan by 2027.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

Yes it can be a "long game" and still a foolish one. Still causing much trouble.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Their only previous experience is with the Soviet design, which is a truly awful carrier. They have trouble even leaving port it's so bad.

Yeah, it hasn't made it through sea trials yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for mayhem :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next