Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

College football coach salaries
Quote | Reply
UGA coach now making $13 million a year. Think he started at $3.75 mil in 2015. The AD makes $1.3 mil. Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sports model of the NCAA is broken. There are very few cream of the crop type coaches, and these make huge differences to universities. I think outside of maybe 10 coaches, everyone else is around the same. But the top coaches its worth to pay them. The schools get so much free advertising - which seems silly writing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bread (so to speak) and circuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
UGA coach now making $13 million a year. Think he started at $3.75 mil in 2015. The AD makes $1.3 mil. Seriously?

WOW - 1.3 million seems like a lot. What revenue does he bring to the school.

As for the coach - SEC football does make a lot of money and is the center of Saturday TV in the fall. People want to watch high level college sports and you need a good coach to get that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:

That’s more than quite a few NFL head coaches. Yes, college football is broken, irrevocably.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highest paid state employee in 43 of 50 states is a college coach.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AD no doubt works hard, but with annual increases of $100k, just riding football coaches coattails as far as i know. Swimming & womens gymnastics are annually high performance. Good tennis and golf, but other programs seem mediocre. They do have good ticket sales across the athletic program. It’s hard to get into UGA as incoming freshman since late 90’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son goes to FSU. Mike Norvell signed a contract extension a couple of months ago.

Here's a year-by-year breakdown of Norvell's base salary for the next eight years:

Contract Year Five (2024): $10,000,000

Contract Year Six (2025): $10,150,000

Contract Year Seven (2026): $10,300,000

Contract Year Eight (2027): $10,450,000

Contract Year Nine (2028): $10,600,000

Contract Year Ten (2029): $10,750,000

Contract Year Eleven (2030): $10,900,000

Contract Year Twelve (2031): $11,050,000

Norvell also has a number of incentives built into his contract which will pay him additional money for achieving certain on and off-field benchmarks within his program.

Conference Championship Game ($250,000 maximum)

Conference Championship Game Appearance: $100,000

Conference Championship Game Win: $250,000

Post-Season Bowls ($950,000 maximum)

Non-College Football Playoff ("CFP") Bowl Appearance: $100,000

CFP First Round Game Appearance: $250,000

CFP Quarterfinal Game Appearance: $375,000

CFP Semi-Final Game Appearance: $500,000

CFP National Championship Game Appearance: $750,000

CFP National Championship Game Win: $950,000

Coach of the Year ($150,000 maximum)

Conference Coach of the Year: $50,000

National Coach of the Year: $100,000

Academic Performance ($200,000 maximum)

Single-Year APR of 950 or above: $100,000

Single-Year APR of 970 or above: $125,000

Single-Year APR of 990 or above: $150,000

Single-Year APR of 1000: $200,000

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just follow the money. You put 100,000 butts in seats every weekend, sell millions of licensed shirts, sweats, hats and other crap and the school makes money. Big schools like big wins. There are about 10 schools in the country that are always there for the big show and 30 that want to be. Money talks and really good coaches are hard to find, and harder to keep. I am still pissed that Saban left LSU after a national championship. Their salaries so wrong on so many levels, but that is where we are at these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:

I've been complaining about this for years. Either pay the players or make it ACTUALLY amateur.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

WOW - 1.3 million seems like a lot. What revenue does he bring to the school.

The big time ADs are the ones who've been overseeing moving to the conferences with the best of the massive media deals....coaches typically aren't directly involved in that stuff...they're responsible for...coaching. The conference deals are now in the $1B/year range with member programs getting #'s approaching triple-digit millions. Basically overseeing the revenue it takes to hire double-digit million type coaches.

Also any direct corporate sponsorships of the athletic department, e.g. Nike shoes, etc.

They are also responsible for recruiting and retaining those top-level coaches.

Given the AD has something like the role of a CEO, $1.3M would be arguably underpaying relative to other corporate CEOs for similiar revenue numbers. These days $1.3M is like CEO minimum wage.
Last edited by: trail: May 3, 24 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:
It's ridiculous. University president 300K. Football coach > 1 million. Physics professor nobel laureate 160K. Football coach over 1 million. The fuck.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
bm wrote:

It's ridiculous. University president 300K. Football coach > 1 million. Physics professor nobel laureate 160K. Football coach over 1 million. The fuck.

FSU's President makes $1M per year. The football coach makes $11M. The President is the coach's boss.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 3, 24 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:

Several NCAA DIV1 Power5 coaches are not paid by university funds but by Donations from supporters. People around here were all mad when some donor paid the MSU football coach a lot of money and how the univ could spend it better elsewhere, it was amazing how people just ignored it was not the universities money.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
it was amazing how people just ignored it was not the universities money.

I am just curious if the donor had previously given similar money to the university?

When I was in college the dean of engineering told us a story about how a major donor wanting to give money to the Engineering Dept/reup what he was previously given annually. During this time, the donor asked the dean of engineering what type of football seats they could hook him up with. At the end of the day, the donor ended up giving the money directly to the football department and was given a suite.

While not the engineering schools money, but for the athletic department, the engineering school would have got the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
bm wrote:

The new UMass BBall coach is now the highest paid state employee in Mass as of 23. Every year before that it was the dean of UMass Medical school. $1.66M vs. $1.41M.
#2-4 are UMass Med execs.

#5 is UMass FB coach, just $830k in 23. In his 2 seasons, he's 4-20.

6-7 are UMass execs. The University President is #6 and makes $802k
#8 is UMass's AD ($651k)
9-10 again are UMass Med execs.

The top paid state employee that doesn't work for UMass is 23rd - the State Chief Medical Examinator - who made $300k + $200k in OT.
And the most Massachusetts thing, the next highest paid non-UMass employee is a LT in the State police. $175k + 215k OT
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Just follow the money. You put 100,000 butts in seats every weekend, sell millions of licensed shirts, sweats, hats and other crap and the school makes money. Big schools like big wins. There are about 10 schools in the country that are always there for the big show and 30 that want to be. Money talks and really good coaches are hard to find, and harder to keep. I am still pissed that Saban left LSU after a national championship. Their salaries so wrong on so many levels, but that is where we are at these days.

+ [essentially] free labor pool

Once that [essentially] free labor pool ends, then--hopefully--that will lead to a re-calibration of compensation.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

FSU's President makes $1M per year. The football coach makes $11M. The President is the coach's boss.

"The coach's boss" aspect of this compensation structure is not the material surprising aspect; it's the free labor pool issue.

In a heavy sales organization, it's not unusual for the salespeople to make more than the sales manager. Same in law firms. Rainmakers make more than those who manage the rainmakers.

It's going to be a gamechanger once the free labor pool goes away. Hopefully, this most recent lawsuit makes greater progress.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Several NCAA DIV1 Power5 coaches are not paid by university funds but by Donations from supporters. People around here were all mad when some donor paid the MSU football coach a lot of money and how the univ could spend it better elsewhere, it was amazing how people just ignored it was not the universities money.

Right. Now, these supporters are being asked to pay for players' NIL. Those supporters (I'm told) are experiencing fatigue at being asked to pay for all this. Payment for a doofus like Tucker is Exhibit A for this. So, now with: a) booster fatigue; and b) limited booster $; that should re-calibrate the amount previously allocated to coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:

I am just curious if the donor had previously given similar money to the university?

When I was in college the dean of engineering told us a story about how a major donor wanting to give money to the Engineering Dept/reup what he was previously given annually. During this time, the donor asked the dean of engineering what type of football seats they could hook him up with. At the end of the day, the donor ended up giving the money directly to the football department and was given a suite.

While not the engineering schools money, but for the athletic department, the engineering school would have got the money.

Right. This is a great example to demonstrate the illusion that the sports program helps the greater university. Actually, as you illustrate, the sports programs cannibalize the greater university.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:

And that’s the rub. What value does even a highly successful team bring to the university? I don’t see any. College football might arguably be broken; I’d argue more stridently that higher ed is far more more broken.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paraphrasing the story, and I am not sure if it is 100% true.
This subject came up at "The Ohio State" with Woody Hayes in the 70's, and a professor complaining to school administration about his salary.

The School Administrator took the professor to the Football Stadium which seats about 80,000+ and said.

If you fill this place up 6 Saturdays a year, I will pay you what I pay Woody Hayes.

Subject Closed.

A good Football Program pays for a lot of Academics. Right or Wrong.
I look at Oregon as that is where I went to school (Played Football), and the changes that have occurred there once Phil Knight / Nike really turned on the money faucet on.
* New Law School
* New Dorms
* Updated buildings etc.
* Better Sports teams and facilities for Non Revenue producing Sports. (Men's Baseball for example was brought back after being cut in ~1984)

It sucks what is required now for the schools to continue to chase this money stream that is now needed to make the books balance. Oregon / Washington / USC / UCLA should not be in the B1G 10. In short the Physics Professor would not be there or as well paid if the Football Team is not generating money / publicity.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: College football coach salaries [just jack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What value does even a highly successful team bring to the university? I don’t see any.

More applicants, better teachers, better student base. I know this isnt the same thing. But I lived around george mason when they made their run to the final 4 in 2006? Before 2006 Mason was essentially a commuter school, but because of their final 4 run - they turned into more of a standard college.

Would duke be duke without coach K? (maybe vandy is a similar school)? Sports are a big driving factor for some peoples decision. I am not sure if anyone is choosing uTexas/Mich over UVA because of their football.
Last edited by: sosayusall: May 3, 24 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:
What value does even a highly successful team bring to the university? I don’t see any.

More applicants, better teachers, better student base. I know this isnt the same thing. But I lived around george mason when they made their run to the final 4 in 2006? Before 2006 Mason was essentially a commuter school, but because of their final 4 run - they turned into more of a standard college.

Would duke be duke without coach K? (maybe vandy is a similar school)? Sports are a big driving factor for some peoples decision. I am not sure if anyone is choosing uTexas/Mich over UVA because of their football.

But does it? That's the argument. Where's the data? Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't. I don't know.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply