Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Oil Production [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
Your link is filled with speculation and hyperbole much like the OP of this thread.

It's not "filled" with speculation. There's "some" speculation. And so what? There's nothing wrong with speculation. Phrases like "these reviews are likely to generate new rules and guidance" turned out to be absolutely true, so you look more than a little biased in summarily dismissing them (and the rest of the article). As far as hyperbole... your aspersion about hyperbole is actually more hyperbole than anything I found in the piece. (But feel free to prove me wrong.)

Quote:
The fact that 8% of US oil production comes from Federal land is well documented. Source: BLM

I think you are confused about BLM jurisdiction versus Federal lease jurisdiction. The Federal leases include offshore areas, whereas BLM has only land. So, yes it is/was ~24%.

Quote:
Biden's pause in leases was short and was to study how to revise the century old law that governs Federal leases. They released the study and recommendations late last year, it did not recommend a permanent ban and actually detailed on how companies can focus their leasing in areas that would not require significant investment.

Yes, but the resumption was done under a new regime of major limitations on those leases and increases in gov't royalties on those leases -- as per the speculation. Again, these are actions that can be justified. They just can't be denied.

The speculation you posted, that is from 18 months ago, has been shown to be incorrect. If anything the last 18 months of repeated failure in the courts by the Biden administration has confirmed how little control the Executive branch has over the oil industry.

You are confused about the pause/resumption. The reasonable increase in royalty rates came after a separate court pause a year after the pause from the EO.
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [moondog-sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moondog-sparky wrote:
Nutella wrote:
moondog-sparky wrote:
Nutella wrote:

I totally agree. I largely agree with the oil companies reasoning. There is some profiteering but they are mostly trying to insure long term stability of their companies.

Regarding my "peak oil" comment, I was referring to demand not supply. I think we have largely reached the the global peak in consumption and should see a long term slow decline in demand.

ah, thx for clarifying peak oil. i couldn't agree more with your analysis. while the public oil companies (majors and mid-tiers) will continue to maintain capex discipline and limit their production, i know many of the smaller independents (~50% of all oil companies) are quick to up their spend and rapidly take advantage of the barrel price - thus leading to overproduction and generally hurting the industry as a whole. i have numerous buddies who own their own companies and are very wealthy - and they ramp up every cycle regardless of the potential long-term issues leading to price depression. their hope is to also "sexy-up their assets" with the goal to flip their acreage to the next guy for a substantial increase in per-acre price. this was one of the big problems with the shale plays in the early days - it was basically musical chairs when it came to leases and ever increasing prices.

either way, we all know oil prices never stay high for any substantial length of time. someone, somewhere will over produce.

and again, other than Biden and the left making oil and gas look unattractive, they really don't impact production or pricing in any meaningful way.

Indeed. I don't like the way the Democrats try to demonize the industry. Most of it is performative as they don't have much control over it but it stimulates the base or often do not understand the industry.

Biden is talking about limiting new offshore leases on the East and West coast but increasing leases in the Gulf and Alaska. Interesting study on the impact that a total halt in new off shore leases might have. Looks like less than 1 cent per gallon of gas over the next 20 years.

https://static1.squarespace.com/...22_Final+6.29.22.pdf

I hear you on the flipping of fields. A very good buddy of mine's dad has done that for decades. Made and lost millions.
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saudi Aramco’s Profit Jumps 90 Percent on High Oil Prices
The giant oil producer said it earned nearly $50 billion last quarter, the latest energy company to record outsize profits after the surge in crude prices since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/14/business/saudi-aramco-earnings.html

......high gas prices are Biden's fault?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Oil poised to smash annual profit records
Oil majors Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP, Shell and TotalEnergies are slated to report a combined profit of $190 billion for 2022,

Big Oil earnings preview: Energy giants to smash annual profit records (cnbc.com)

Remember when some folks told us that Biden was destroying the Oil industry and high prices were all his fault? Yeah, that was nonsense. Not just record profits but record production. 2022 was the 2nd highest production year on record for US producers. 2023 should be the highest production year on record for US producers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTI hit $66 yesterday. 2023 looks like it will be the most productive year ever for US producers.

Thank you Joe Biden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
US total Oil production hit another all-time record. The highlighted in Yellow is Joe Biden's term in office

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

US oil exports break record in 1H 2023, averaging nearly 4 million barrels per day. So much for the lie that Biden was killing the US oil business.

U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the bot farm pay you for the 7 consecutive posts here that go unanswered or do you have to get a response....... just trying to do my part to keep getting you paid....
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the posts pretty interesting, in light of most of the right wing bull that gets thrown around about Biden killing US oil production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The United States is now producing more crude oil than at any time in history:
Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day) (eia.gov)

13.2 million barrels per day.
It was 10.9 the week Biden took office.
The pre-COVID all-time high was 13.1.
It was ~5 when Obama took office.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

For those who care about the price of: diesel, fuel oil and gas; the issue is refinery capacity, or lack thereof. In the current political environment; investment in building a new refinery would be "challenging." California is worse, because the designer Gasoline is only produced by a few refineries.
Insert shoulder shrug emoji here

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

For those who care about the price of: diesel, fuel oil and gas; the issue is refinery capacity, or lack thereof. In the current political environment; investment in building a new refinery would be "challenging." California is worse, because the designer Gasoline is only produced by a few refineries.

Oil companies are not going to build more refineries, regardless of what kind of fuel each refinery produces. If they add refinery space, that adds capacity which increases supply and ultimately lowers prices. When their profits are at record highs and gasoline prices are still going down, what is the incentive to produce more?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Refinery capacity is certainly one element of the costs of those products, but not the sole cost. Since this thread was started gas prices are down over $1 per gallon, .55 in the last two months.

Gasoline refinery capacity is in line with historic norms but diesel is certainly a risk. Not only is refining capacity tight but so is supply. Russia used to be a big supplier of diesel but since the war one million barrels of diesel a day have been pulled off the global market. China also refines and exports a lot of diesel, but last year quotas on diesel exports were cut. There is also the issue of the type of crude used for diesel. Russia and Saudi Arabia supply heavier grades of crude oil that can be turned into diesel more easily than the lighter oil produced in the US. If Russia and Saudi Arabia cut exports that will also drive up diesel prices.

While it is nice that US producers are making $$$, and consumers are saving $$$, I am not optimistic this status will hold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Joe Bieden you did a great job. Those asshole oil companies so manipulate prices it is laughable. Now that oil is down to nothing per gallon, they will turn off the taps and cry oh my there is an oil shortage, we need to jack up the prices. And guess what, gas will be back up to $5 per gallon in no time. They have been doing that shit since the 1970s. High gas prices are a sign of nothing except the the oil companies up to their old tricks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Does life owe you cheap gas?
Quote Reply
Re: US Oil Production [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

You're SO smart, witty, and funny.
Have a nice day

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

You're SO smart, witty, and funny.
Have a nice day

I guess cheap gas as well as a clean environment both didn't make the list so 🤷 its tough to tell what the right decision is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as people like to complain about the price of gas me included it is rather miraculous it is as cheap as it is.

It has to be found, wells drilled, sucked out of the ground, transported to refinery, refined in a complex process and then shipped to gas stations where is is available on demand.

All for less than the price of bottle water.

Based on a per hour the average worker has to work something like 15 minutes for a gallon of gas. In an efficient car that would get you 40 miles. Like for most people to work and back.

A miracle.

https://inflationdata.com/...-vs-wages-over-time/

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Sheffield: American oil tycoon accused of trying to conspire with OPEC to inflate prices | CNN Business

Quote:
Scott Sheffield, founder and longtime CEO of a leading American oil producer, attempted to collude with OPEC and its allies to inflate prices, federal regulators alleged on Thursday.

Biden made him do it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next