Quote | Reply
https://wgntv.com/...sday-news-conference

Plus the 2031 Final Four biatches
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
domed stadium

Off to a losing start in typical Bears fashion.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
domed stadium

I've had a beer freeze at soldier field.

Well since that's a requirement to host the Super Bowl and Final Four I'm okay with it.

I'll also wager it is retractable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’ve got to make sure they don’t move until at least 2026 so the can celebrate next year as a full century of Soldier Field.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:
domed stadium

I've had a beer freeze at soldier field.

Well since that's a requirement to host the Super Bowl and Final Four I'm okay with it.

I'll also wager it is retractable.

I get that. It's a business after all, and if I'm a sports fan in Chicago I want my money's worth out of that stadium.

Retractable would be ideal.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
They’ve got to make sure they don’t move until at least 2026 so the can celebrate next year as a full century of Soldier Field.

Soldier Field now doesn't resemble Soldier Field of yore. It's a fucking spaceship inside a facade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the Monsters of the Midway will be the Mistakes by the Lakefront?
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
So the Monsters of the Midway will be the Mistakes by the Lakefront?

Don't worry the same limousine liberal assholes that sued to stop the Star Wars museum will probably sue about this too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a report as to whether cities and their citizens have any chance of being reimbursed for the public welfare given to billionaire owners. People are tired of seeing billionaires get subsidies funded by the public to pay players absurd amounts. Players the causal fan has never heard of are getting $20+MM/year for multiple years. Like I said, as far as I know this is a great investment for the city.

In a side note, I’m not hoping Williams is a bust, but I don’t have a great feeling about his career longevity. With any luck, the Bears will get another top 10 pick next year they can use on Sanders.
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a report as to whether cities and their citizens have any chance of being reimbursed for the public welfare given to billionaire owners. People are tired of seeing billionaires get subsidies funded by the public to pay players absurd amounts. Players the causal fan has never heard of are getting $20+MM/year for multiple years. Like I said, as far as I know this is a great investment for the city.

In a side note, I’m not hoping Williams is a bust, but I don’t have a great feeling about his career longevity. With any luck, the Bears will get another top 10 pick next year they can use on Sanders.

Recent history would suggest that they will get a 6th round pick at best.

I think Caleb has talent, but I agree about his longevity. I don't think he will be a flop, but his attitude is going to have improve for the NFL. I think getting Rome might be the better, more valuable pick who has more success in the NFL.
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

It probably isn't.
Sports stadiums and taxpayer financing: A primer and research roundup (journalistsresource.org)
A lot of it is about the political optics if a team leaves, and the ego of having a team in your city. At best, public funding moves money from one area of the city (or region) to another.
It's odd to me that people think if a sports team wasn't there, people won't spend the money they would have spent on going to games. Sure, some money might leave town if people travel to go to games, but the majority will still get spent in the city, just on something else.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: LXII [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think as ticket prices have skyrocketed teams seem like less of a public good.

ETA- what if cities plowed a few hundred million into sports leagues for kids who live in the cities instead of teams most families can’t afford to ever see.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 2, 24 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://wgntv.com/sports/bears-report/sources-new-lakefront-bears-stadium-to-be-announced-during-wednesday-news-conference

Plus the 2031 Final Four biatches

Only way the Bears see a Super Bowl..?
Quote Reply