Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have a fridge again. Yay!

Time to fill it with beerđź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
That's me in this relationship. So far in this house I fixed the dishwasher (leaking water intake valve), fridge (the Samsung flaw when the air ducts ice up because ice tray is in the fridge instead of the freezer), TV (bad component in the power supply), computers (many times for various issues), Solar power for our backyard pond (easy because I built it), leaking gutter (guy swore it was sealed - it wasn't), caulking (hate it), her car (blown fan motor controller board, a bad transistor on it), several power outlets (backstabbing eventually fails please use the screw terminals!), drainage (we had standing water in the yard), heat pump (a short on the low voltage lines due to insulation rubbing VERY hard to find but easy to fix), smart thermostat (output transistor on the yellow wire failed short and the heat pump tried to run when the furnace didn't. causing overpressure)

OTOH my wife can boil water? Maybe?

I pretty much attempt to fix anything I can. For the most part I can be successful with the internet and you tube. 99% of the time you are not the only one with the same problem. Case in point, woke up a couple of months ago to a puddle of water in front of the fridge (Kitchenaide). After I determined there was no leak, I cleaned up and wen to work. Pull out the controls print and start troubleshooting after work. Found that the fridge had two valves, both seemed to be shot. Bought the valves, still not working correctly. Buried in the internet, Electrolux sells a diode kit for their fridge valves. Sure enough, there is a diode on the print inline with the valves, 2 actually. More internet digging, I find the location of them, check them and they are not any good. $5 later I have 100 diodes at my door step. A little soldering with a heat gun later everything is back up and running. Also repaired the control board on the same fridge. I am sure it would have been a bunch for someone to come to our house to repair.

I have worked on AC and heating units at both houses we have owned. There isn't anything hard about it troubleshooting these items, there maybe hard problems, but the problem solving methods are typically all the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I wonder what time we should all be arriving to help him drink it?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I have a beverage fridge in my pantry so I’ve been good there.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:
Buy a new refrigerator and you should expect to replace it in 5-7 years. Buy a 40 year old refrigerator and it will last for another 20. I've got a fridge in my garage that my wife's godmother gave us. It is probably 30 years old and still running strong despite being kept in the hot garage.

Same. My parents still have the same fridge they bought in 1985 or so. Its outlasted 2 or 3 newer ones. Kept in a hot garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:
Buy a new refrigerator and you should expect to replace it in 5-7 years. Buy a 40 year old refrigerator and it will last for another 20. I've got a fridge in my garage that my wife's godmother gave us. It is probably 30 years old and still running strong despite being kept in the hot garage.

I bought our fridge 15 years ago. About 7 years ago the fuse died. I installed a new fuse for about $5. It’s still kicking.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up this morning to our refrigerator not working [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Nutella wrote:
It is threads like this that remind me how lucky I am to have married my wife. She can fix anything.

My wife can research and buy anything. We had a new riding lawn mower delivered yesterday.

Hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:

I think you pay for a normal new frig (not the 4000 dollar one) within its lifespan by the electricity you save. And bonus points you are saving the planet by using less lectricty.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
My father in law was an electrical engineer who worked on missile guidance systems and my mother and law was a farmer. They would make, or fix, anything.

So I'm guessing that an autonomous tractor was an early project?
Quote Reply

Prev Next