Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that an accurate portrayal of the timeline? I thought the police were called in well before they decided to cancel classes. That police presence and those arrests lit the proverbial fire which led to cancelled classes and the current situation. It wasn't the other way around. We are going to have a rinse/repeat Tuesday night. I'm holding out hope LEO can refrain from tossing old women to the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Is that an accurate portrayal of the timeline? I thought the police were called in well before they decided to cancel classes. That police presence and those arrests lit the proverbial fire which led to cancelled classes and the current situation. It wasn't the other way around. We are going to have a rinse/repeat Tuesday night. I'm holding out hope LEO can refrain from tossing old women to the ground.

Why would they move to on-line classes after the campus was clear? Emory dealt with the situation up front while Columbia dragged their feet until it was too late. Emory had the luxury of seeing the dumpster fire at Columbia so they had time plan their response. Columbia still won't shut it down. We'll see what and if anything happens at Morehouse.

What's happening Tuesday night?
Quote Reply
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
This officer's actions clearly indicate he had little self-control and shouldn't have been entrusted to act rationally in a time of discomfort.

Reminds me a bit of the "super casual pepper spray cop" during the Occupy movement in 2011.

That guy was fired. Though got a bit of worker's comp and kept his retirement.

It's not easy being a campus administrator right now, finding the right place on the dial between "Kent State" and "let the protestors run the campus." While balancing speech rights and the rights of Jewish and other non-protesting students to be free from harrassment. And the rights of protestors and counter-protestors to all have their say.

Quote Reply
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Why would they move to on-line classes after the campus was clear? Emory dealt with the situation up front while Columbia dragged their feet until it was too late. Emory had the luxury of seeing the dumpster fire at Columbia so they had time plan their response. Columbia still won't shut it down. We'll see what and if anything happens at Morehouse.

What's happening Tuesday night?

Columbia cancelled classes because of what has happened after the initial set of ~100 arrests. Your argument made it sound like you were making the case the arrests didn’t happen soon enough and that would have prevented further escalation. It may have worked at Emory, time will tell, but from what I’ve read, it’s those arrests that not only kicked off the much different type of protest at Columbia, but also universities across the country.

Tuesday night is the next deadline to clear the protesting area. I assume more arrests will occur for those that don’t head the warning.
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Apr 29, 24 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
This officer's actions clearly indicate he had little self-control and shouldn't have been entrusted to act rationally in a time of discomfort.

Reminds me a bit of the "super casual pepper spray cop" during the Occupy movement in 2011.

That guy was fired. Though got a bit of worker's comp and kept his retirement.

It's not easy being a campus administrator right now, finding the right place on the dial between "Kent State" and "let the protestors run the campus." While balancing speech rights and the rights of Jewish and other non-protesting students to be free from harrassment. And the rights of protestors and counter-protestors to all have their say.

I’m absolutely not trying to marginalize how difficult their job might be. I’m simply trying to say not everybody should be doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My argument is that is worked at Emory. They waited too long at Columbia since they had already pitched their tents well before the cops moved in to clear the situation. Now the administration only has two choices: 1. negotiate with terrorists or 2. send in the cops which will not end well for either side.

I'm now reading that protestors/terrorists have taken over two academic buildings in California?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
My argument is that is worked at Emory. They waited too long at Columbia since they had already pitched their tents well before the cops moved in to clear the situation. Now the administration only has two choices: 1. negotiate with terrorists or 2. send in the cops which will not end well for either side.

I'm now reading that protestors/terrorists have taken over two academic buildings in California?

And I’m arguing we’ll never know what these protests would have looked like if Columbia wouldn’t have jumped the gun and brought in police so early. That in part set off a chain of events we are now having to deal with.

I would think taking over a building is an obvious trespassing charge. Clearly not everyone feels that way seeing as Trump gets cheers when he says he will pardon the terrorists (your word) who stormed the Capitol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, 20 out of 28 people arrested were from Emory community per reports. I have a couple of family members who are students there and they said a lot of students did attend the protests. Lots of debate in student body about this; it's not just outside agitators.

Herbie Hancock wrote:
The problem is the outside agitators that showed up that are not students. They all had the same tents, were highly organized and placed there to create chaos. Now they are going to protest on Morehouse's campus because Biden is speaking at their graduation. Luckily these are private Universities that can remove outsiders off their campus for trespassing.
Quote Reply
Re: Two cops aggressively take down an Emory Econ professor [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkuo wrote:
FWIW, 20 out of 28 people arrested were from Emory community per reports. I have a couple of family members who are students there and they said a lot of students did attend the protests. Lots of debate in student body about this; it's not just outside agitators.

Herbie Hancock wrote:
The problem is the outside agitators that showed up that are not students. They all had the same tents, were highly organized and placed there to create chaos. Now they are going to protest on Morehouse's campus because Biden is speaking at their graduation. Luckily these are private Universities that can remove outsiders off their campus for trespassing.

Not just but they were the ones poking the fire. Since they have been removed the protests on campus have been peaceful. The public safety training facility is a different issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next