Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Outdoor family vacation ideas-update. RV in sierras [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two main differences between the west and east are population and slope. There are a lot more people on the west and the slope is much greater on the east. The slope means it can take 2+ hours from the main highways on the west to reach elevation and less than an hour from the east. However it also means there are easier hikes on the west. South Lake and Sabrina Lake west of Bishop are amazing, but there aren’t many hikes that don’t go straight up. Devil’s Postpile and Rainbow Falls west of Mammoth are a bit more kid friendly. Went on a nice hike to Parker Lake near June Lake and there is some land you can boondock on. Mono is interesting.

I haven’t done Golden Trout, but it seems like it might be a little low to be comfortable in August.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor family vacation ideas-update. RV in sierras [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Thanks for all the recs!

How is campsite availability on the east side? Will we have to worry about finding a first come first serve site or book way in advance?

You're very welcome!

Sorry, I'm of no help on campsite booking advice, and anything I'd tell you would be out of date anyway.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor family vacation ideas-update. RV in sierras [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
WannaB wrote:
It’s not a must, but look at Great Basin National Park. In Nevada, in between Sierra and Wasatch range. I am pretty sure it is the least visited of all the national parks due to its remoteness. About 275 miles from Las Vegas. Cave exploring, mountain lake hikes, and top shelf of Dark Sky experience.

Not even in the top 10. It is 11th though! Like you said, it's a National Park for a reason. If you are in the area, especially with an RV, there is no reason not to stop.

OP, if you haven't been to Yosemite and you are doing East Side Sierra, I would recommend getting over for a day trip. Get into the park early, put on your walking shoes, and hop on the shuttle bus to wherever you want to go. Don't forget to explore Tuolumne Meadows when you head over or come back.

I wanted to piggy back on this - Yosemite is phenomenal! The kicker is the crowds and the sold out campgrounds and other lodging so far in advance it’s ridiculous. One trick is to call the NPS lodging phone number (find it on Recreation.org where you’d normally book sites) and ask about last minute cancellations. People make their reservations so far in advance someone always cancels. (We’ve gotten some killer last second lodging this way). If you can scoop something up, totally worth it! If not, you tried. Also, you have to get reservations to drive into the park. Download the Recreation.gov app and type in Yosemite and it’ll pop up. You literally can’t even get into the park after 5:00 AM without a reservation for most of summer (just an FYI). (We’re planning a trip to Glacier NP in August and going through the same stuff for certain roads and campgrounds).

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Last edited by: RockyMtnChic: Apr 29, 24 6:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next