Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
thanks for the start/stop answers. I know that technology has been around a good while now, and if there were issues they'd be well known.

Still a strange sensation sitting at a red light and feel the engine turn off, it'll take. while to get rid of the pucker factor when that happens.

I turn this option off in my car. I have never felt comfortable sitting at a light and then the engine stops.

I do as well. Too bad you can't turn it just once rather than having to do it each time you start the vehicle.

Depends on the car and the year it came out.

If it defaults to on, you get the CAFE credits, if its a full on / off defeat switch you get like 50% less credit (I forget the number) Then when Trump changed the CAFE requirements, many OEM's no longer needed the full credit so many went to the full defeat switch.

I can honestly say in my wife's blazer I never even notice.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It ends up being the residual + depreciation + tax for the buyout cost. You skip the additional rent/interest charges that are built into the monthly payments you'd otherwise be going through during the lease. It can be done through Toyota (not the individual dealer) in most states as soon as the account is stood up. Florida's a bit weird because we're forced to go back to a dealer to process the transaction, which ends up incurring another set of document fees. Other states might vary as well but the default is that it can be done within a few days of opening the lease.

This writeup covers most of the aspects of the transaction: https://www.reddit.com/...rospective_colorado/

There's not really any benefit to letting the dealer know you're doing this. Negotiation-wise, you're trying to get the purchase price (ultimately depreciation cost) down, even if the money factor's not great, since the rent charges past the first payment end up being irrelevant. On the dealer's side, I think they lose whatever kickback if it's bought out before the third(?) payment.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
Instead we got an X7 for our family vehicle. Depending what and how things shake out in the next couple of years, a hybrid or electric will be on the table for my daily vehicle. I am probably 3 or 4 years away from another vehicle for myself.

If you were considering a PHEV, why not the X5 50e?

The wife and I are currently looking at the X5 or the Volvo XC60 Recharge (we do not want 3rd row, or a vehicle >200in length).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
About to buy a new SUV in 6 months. Just curious on peoples thoughts.

We went straight for an EV (VW id4) last year and with our set up, we wouldn't go back to gas. The best feature for us is the charging at home and the auto parking software. It parallel parks! It's so convenient.

If we couldn't charge at home, we wouldn't get one, however. Public charging sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
Instead we got an X7 for our family vehicle. Depending what and how things shake out in the next couple of years, a hybrid or electric will be on the table for my daily vehicle. I am probably 3 or 4 years away from another vehicle for myself.

If you were considering a PHEV, why not the X5 50e?

The wife and I are currently looking at the X5 or the Volvo XC60 Recharge (we do not want 3rd row, or a vehicle >200in length).

I have an F15 X5 currently, not big enough for family weekend travel. Soccer shit takes up too much space. The G05 X5 third row is horrible. We use the third row on the X7 weekly.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into this a while back, and what I found is that the battery bears the brunt of excess wear on the out start/stop.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
About to buy a new SUV in 6 months. Just curious on peoples thoughts.

the wife is on her 3rd jeep wrangler unlimited. she loves that platform. i think she gets a new one every 6 or so years. (she drives quite a lot.)

for this third one, bought a year and a quarter ago, she bought the 4xe hybrid. it's really a nice car. she rides bikes a lot, and drives to group rides. (sorry, wrong forum.) puts the bike in the back. easy peasy. this is the 4 door remember. this new one has a 4 banger for the engine but it's actually faster, more torque, etc., than the 6 cyl she had in her first 2 jeeps and then of course the electric motor has all kinds of power.

our thinking was this: we put a solar system on the house a year ago. it's reasonably beefy, around 11kw. we're replacing all our gas (propane) appliances, water heaters, etc., with electric. i put in a L2 charger for the car. we replace our electric bill, propane bill, and some of the vehicle gas bills with electricity we farm. so far so good. we got a boatload of tax credits last year (her car, the solar system, panel upgrade) to help with the ouch.

when we got the plug in hybrid these were not that popular. the opinion is turning on them. we couldn't be happier with this vehicle with this one exception: all-electric range is about 25mi. i wish it was more like 40mi. otoh, there are no compromises. it's 4wd (which we need where we live), lots of space for stuff. no limit on the driving range. but in truth the only plugging in we ever do is at home.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the 4xe Wrangler, but then I build a Rubicon trim and it's $72,000.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I like the 4xe Wrangler, but then I build a Rubicon trim and it's $72,000.

the trim i like is the rubicon with the 6.4l hemi. but i'm a dude. (and it's not my car.) my wife always gets the sahara trim. enough, but not to excess. she bought this when it was still a little hard to get cars. we buy a lot from this dealership, so we got a good deal. invoice i think. (we didn't press for any of the holdback.) i don't remember what it was out the door but in the $60s for sure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next