Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to wait a few months and consider a hybrid truck. Hybrid versions of the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, or Chevy Colorado are coming out later in 2024. The Tacoma will have a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine delivering 326 ponies. It has a 6000-pound tow rating and can carry a payload of up to 1709 pounds.

The Tacoma is not a plug-in hybrid, so the battery is to help improve gas mileage. I have not seen what Ford and Chevy plan to offer for their hybrid trucks. If they follow the lead of some of the plug-in hybrid SUVs out there now, electric range may be in the 40-60 mile battery only range.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hybrid pickup already. As stated in my OP. ðŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:

My plan is to sell the Rover in the next few months then buy a hybrid truck... Chevy Colorado that are coming out later in 2024.

Have not laughed so hard in a while. I will be SHOCKED if you can buy a Colorado Hybird in 2024.. (not saying Gm wont say they are in production, actually I highly doubt that)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
You may want to wait a few months and consider a hybrid truck. Hybrid versions of the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, or Chevy Colorado are coming out later in 2024. The Tacoma will have a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine delivering 326 ponies. It has a 6000-pound tow rating and can carry a payload of up to 1709 pounds.

The Tacoma is not a plug-in hybrid, so the battery is to help improve gas mileage. I have not seen what Ford and Chevy plan to offer for their hybrid trucks. If they follow the lead of some of the plug-in hybrid SUVs out there now, electric range may be in the 40-60 mile battery only range.

Don't hold your breath on the Chevy Hybrid. If they have something in 2024, it will be crap cause it would be so rushed, but I highly doubt they will have anything in 2024, Hell I would be surprised if GM has them in any volume in 2025.

GM will probably get good Hybrids out there about the same time, everyone finally decides, EVs work and there really is no issue, so the market starts to move away from Hybrids.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the coast to coast race from Jacksonville to San Diego the Silverado blew the Lightning away. The Cyber came in second by only 5 minutes, the Rivian was 3rd by half an hour and the F150 Lightning came in 5 hrs later. The Lightning is clearly way behind in technology. I'm not sure which model the Silverado was.

This was put on by Out of Spec and they posted 4 videos on Youtube. From what I could tell, it was all about the charging. I was following it on the Silverado EV forum. It seems to me that the Silverado is going to be worth waiting for.

Silverado Work Trucks are available at some dealers even though they're supposed to be fleet only right now. The $94,000 RST first addition is available right now but way more than I want to spend.

I had a reservation that I cancelled but if they come out with a model with 300 range and heated seats in my price range I just might get back on board!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Apr 7, 24 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming this charging curve is correct, that thing can suck down power. The 70-80 looks a bit weird (dropped to 50, then back up) but maybe the BMS had to do some battery maintenance or let the pack cool given the earlier charging. With the huge battery pack, you are going to be at a bit of mercy for the EA 350kw stations actually delivering that performance. Similar to the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis, the 800v set up also means the current Tesla chargers may not be great since they're built around 400v (although with the Silverado dual 400v pack setup, maybe it will be able to slurp more amps vs having to use the motor's inverter like the EGMP cars do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
In the coast to coast race from Jacksonville to San Diego the Silverado blew the Lightning away. The Cyber came in second by only 5 minutes, the Rivian was 3rd by half an hour and the F150 Lightning came in 5 hrs later. The Lightning is clearly way behind in technology. I'm not sure which model the Silverado was.

This was put on by Out of Spec and they posted 4 videos on Youtube. From what I could tell, it was all about the charging. I was following it on the Silverado EV forum. It seems to me that the Silverado is going to be worth waiting for.

Silverado Work Trucks are available at some dealers even though they're supposed to be fleet only right now. The $94,000 RST first addition is available right now but way more than I want to spend.

I had a reservation that I cancelled but if they come out with a model with 300 range and heated seats in my price range I just might get back on board!

The Silverado did it because it has a massive battery, and I believe the lightning charger is not as big.

What factors are important to you is what matters, Whats amazing to me, is the diversity thats out there, but thats I guess what you get with a new market/product. Fishyjoe is all about efficiency, I don't think many customers really care about that, the media has everyone focused on range, and a fast charging speed. I have had an EV or plug in hybrid (that rarely ran the engine) for a total of 5 yrs, never needed a DC fast charger, used one cause there is a free one near by. But with driving locally I and charging at home when needed, a few hundred miles range was more than enough.

The F150 is way cheaper and available, so again, its what do you want. In the EV space for a while longer there will always be something better coming. At some point, one that meets your needs comes out, and you can decide if meeting your needs is enough.

I am not sure if the Silverado EV will still use android auto/ apple carplay or if its part of the move to inhouse software like the blazer and equinox (hummer still is android/apple I believe, so most likely so is Silverado) I would STRONGLY suggest waiting for 6 months after release (real release like you see them at the dealer) before buying any of GM's EV's with the in house software. The blazer disaster should be proof enough of what can go wrong again. Hopefully not, as a lot of the software should be the same, but its not worth the risk to me.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I have had an EV or plug in hybrid (that rarely ran the engine) for a total of 5 yrs, never needed a DC fast charger, used one cause there is a free one near by. But with driving locally I and charging at home when needed, a few hundred miles range was more than enough.

Our use is similar, but we're a one car household so we don't have a different vehicle to swap to for longer trips. Our cousins have the ID.4 and we have the EV6 - we've both done the drive between SF and LA. We've effectively spent the same amount of time at Kettleman City, but our charge time is about half (24 minutes vs about 50 if I'm remembering correctly for them). Outside of the one stop distances, the time differences do start to add up quickly, but this trip is the only one we've needed fast charging for.

That said, pulling up next to a bolt or the Toyota/Subaru and seeing how long they were taking really did make me appreciate having fast charging that's actually fast. We pulled in after and left before a Bolt at basically every charger.
Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
I have had an EV or plug in hybrid (that rarely ran the engine) for a total of 5 yrs, never needed a DC fast charger, used one cause there is a free one near by. But with driving locally I and charging at home when needed, a few hundred miles range was more than enough.

Our use is similar, but we're a one car household so we don't have a different vehicle to swap to for longer trips. Our cousins have the ID.4 and we have the EV6 - we've both done the drive between SF and LA. We've effectively spent the same amount of time at Kettleman City, but our charge time is about half (24 minutes vs about 50 if I'm remembering correctly for them). Outside of the one stop distances, the time differences do start to add up quickly, but this trip is the only one we've needed fast charging for.

That said, pulling up next to a bolt or the Toyota/Subaru and seeing how long they were taking really did make me appreciate having fast charging that's actually fast. We pulled in after and left before a Bolt at basically every charger.

A chevy bolt really does not have DC fast Charge capability, I view it as a great commuter car, that can long distance's in a pinch. A coworker has one, and uses it on slightly longer trips, when destination is kids hockey game or some other longer event, or they go out to eat after, and they just DC fast charge then for the hour. Plus i forget the range but want to say 200 miles only.

The other thing people just dont talk about is its not like a gas pump you should not have to sit in the car while it charges, I usually charge overnight, so I instead of a weekly 15 min stop for gas, I spend zero time in day to day life, if I go on a long trip yup I will have to give back some of that time. But also if planned right you can charge while doing something else.

Again, its all what you need and want. For $18,500 I have a car that fits 100% of my use cases, I have never come close to running out of charge on any of the drives I do. Yes 2 car family so other car is bigger for taking kids to college and long trips. I could not fit family and crap in a bolt for a vacation anyhow.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Again, its all what you need and want. For $18,500 I have a car that fits 100% of my use cases, I have never come close to running out of charge on any of the drives I do. Yes 2 car family so other car is bigger for taking kids to college and long trips. I could not fit family and crap in a bolt for a vacation anyhow.

Agreed - FIL has one and I don't know if he's ever DCFC it (he also maximizes the efficiency out of it like none other, even though his commute is well within the 20-80% range sweet spot).

The biggest issue with the slow charging EVs is much more of an infrastructure issue. Electrify America (EA) has a couple of stations that are all 350kw and 10 spaces, but much more common is a 4 spot with one 350 and 3 150s. A lot of folks don't seem to realize that there's only a few cars/trucks that do better on the 350 than the 150 and that the 80 -> 100% charge rate is way slower than the 20 -> 80% rate. When things get busy, you seem to frequently end up with someone sitting in the 350 for an hour+ when it could have been turned over 3 times with the 800v vehicles.

Over time, the number of chargers will go up and I imagine the balance charger setup will continue getting smarter (balancing across more chargers so any of the chargers at the station can peak higher). Right now you have to be pretty interested in the whole EV thing to make the optimal charging decisions (this is 100% what Tesla still does better).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ford cuts the price on the Lightning;

https://fordauthority.com/...ts-fresh-price-cuts/

The Flash is now $67,995 minus the $7,500 Fed Tax credit. That's looking pretty good.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dealer reached out to me yesterday. I will contact him today and see what he says.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The dealer reached out to me yesterday. I will contact him today and see what he says.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but in good conscious I have to warn you (at least according to MAGA relatives* on Facebook) if you get a electric vehicle you're almost certainly going to freeze to death when you get trapped in a snow storm and your charge runs out, better to stick with gas.

*Mind you, these are people living in coastal mid-Atlantic where big snow storms were never that common and now are largely a thing of the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I'm jealous!

I hope they have one for you to test drive. That's a beautiful truck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I'm jealous!

I hope they have one for you to test drive. That's a beautiful truck!

The same one I posted about originally is still sitting on their lot.

Quote Reply
Re: EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but in good conscious I have to warn you (at least according to MAGA relatives* on Facebook) if you get a electric vehicle you're almost certainly going to freeze to death when you get trapped in a snow storm and your charge runs out, better to stick with gas.

*Mind you, these are people living in coastal mid-Atlantic where big snow storms were never that common and now are largely a thing of the past.

I live in Florida so snow storms and freezing temps are the least of my worries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downside to the Lightning is winter Highway range. That's something that you don't have to worry about.

If I didn't go back and forth from Long Island to Upstate all year long. This would be very hard to resist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NACS DC Fast Charger adapters are now available for the Lightning. Can now use the Tesla Superchargers. Another plus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I live in Florida so snow storms and freezing temps are the least of my worries.

I'm sure it somehow puts you at great risk for the hurricanes too, but that's not a meme yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing you're far from getting a Tesla since you'd just be sending it back.

https://3cd97396-adb9-4721-abbf-3d83266efb12.ericomcloud.net/...bC1zdHVjayUyRg%3D%3D

Quote:
Tesla recalls the Cybertruck for faulty accelerator pedals that can get stuck

Tesla is recalling all 3,878 Cybertrucks that it has shipped to date, due to a problem where the accelerator pedal can get stuck, putting drivers at risk of a crash, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The recall caps a tumultuous week for Tesla. The company laid off more than 10% of its workforce on Monday, and lost two of its highest-ranking executives. A few days later, Tesla asked shareholders to re-vote on CEO Elon Musk’s massive compensation package that was struck down by a judge earlier this year.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next