Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why are round shaped handlebars bad, from a fitting perspective? I don't understand
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I have a question about traditional road handlebars fit that you maybe can help me clarify.

I have started racing as a junior cyclist in the mid 90's, when round shaped handlebars were still abundant, and I've got used to them - I still have them fitted on my road bikes. I do understand modern shifter levers levers, like Shimano's Di2 STIs have longer hoods, which kind of ask for "compact" handlebars with a smaller reach. I also understand the added comfort of having a flatter handlebar-to-shifter transition, but I never understood the reasoning behind Dan's point-of-view in his review of the Cevelo Caledonia:

Quote:
I’m really, really, really, picky about ergonomics. I’ve been after handlebar companies for about a decade to abandon “round” as the shape for handlebars, so that they can make road bars exactly the way they are best made, and I mean not only above the hood but below it. Round is a smart shape for seat posts. It’s less a smart shape for handlebars.

What results from holding modern-shaped handlebar in the drops is a less aero (taller) position, where the cyclists arms are less stretched and closer to a 90 degree position:

<picture>

With classic style, round bend handlebars, you are able to stretch a bit further in the horizontal plan, and thus get "shorter":

<picture>

I do understand the stem size, besides the actual bicycle top tube size (or reach), plays an important role here. As does saddle positioning, which moved forward over time, closer to a time trial position. But my point is that we spend most time holding the hoods, in an understandably more comfortable position, but we want to get more aero (streched out, shorter) while holding the drops. However, holding the drops on modern handlebars position our arms further back compared to holding the drops, and not the opposite.

<picture>

Am I seeing this wrong?

Thanks,
Nando

PS: sorry for the low-res pictures, it's what the Forum tool allowed me to upload.

Quote Reply