Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best companies to work for? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
however, looking at Math+CS combo in SC, that kind of explains your situation.

Now I know you're not even bothering to read my whole posts.

Quote Reply
Re: Best companies to work for? [robb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems about right.
Most of my students have gone to Army res. labs, IBM, google, MS. They make more but have masters and live in expensive areas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you mean other than what I said in that last reply?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geeee...I'm questioning your ability to read then...

what in the world lead you to this conclusion???

your first post: I get paid a lot more than in a university

my first post: heck no. taulbee survey

then you go, no it's in my area that I meant...

I answered: in your area it is possible because math and CS are combined

in the meantime you answered: no what I really meant is that when you look at the average of gov + univ + all public jobs, my salary is higher...

geee...this is what you meant in your first post? maybe you're not finding anything with a higher salary because you have communication issues
Quote Reply
Re: Best companies to work for? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like I'm not the only who's struggling to understand the point that robb is trying to make then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your first post: I get paid a lot more than in a university

That's not what I said. I said my salary was in the top percentile of all workers in the state, and that it was way higher than the government/university/defense jobs that are advertised. Maybe you should reread what I wrote. I meant "advertised in my area" as was clarified later. Like I said, it's stupid to compare mountain view salaries to tulsa salaries.

What, exactly, are you having a contention with, or having a hard time understanding?

I'm fully willing to concede that a PhD at a top research institution in an expensive part of the country is making a lot more money than me. But I never claimed otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point is that I wanted to know what jtaylor considered 'good' and 'major city'.

Like I said - in my area, programmers aren't making '6 figures easy'.

Why do you have such a hard time understanding that? Don't want to accept facts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to Seattle. We will be looking for a babysitter soon, french-speaking a plus. I'll pay you $10/hr.

I might even go S/B/R with you from time to time....

Dad, Husband, Weekend Warrior

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you first post said
'I'm making 30 to 50k more than gov jobs or univ'

go check it.

I gave you the avg salaries across the nation for assistant professors. This was my only disagreement. Then you kept changing what you were saying...

on average, ANY assistant prof in the nation makes more than you. the taulbee survey is an average. it includes research schools, good ones, bad ones and teaching schools. and it's not only the schools in Mountain View.

geee...what's so hard to understand...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
facts? lol...

Here are the facts:

1. no matter what the area is, programmers on avg are below 6 figures salaries. Heck, MS in CS at google start around $85K and it is in Mountain View.

2. no matter what the area is, on avg. assistant professors in CS make 6 figure salaries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, yes, I should've added "in my area" on the first post.

Given that the point of my post was to get a definition of "good" and "major city", and that I described my salary in terms of it's relationship to those in my area, I thought it was understood that that was what I was referring to. Median home price and median income were also meant to be for my area.

jtaylor understood this, as evidenced by his thoughtful reply to my original post.

No matter, I thought we cleared that up already in another post, but here you bringing it up again. Let's clear it up for a 3rd time: I meant that the government/university/defense jobs advertised in my area are all 30-50k less than what I make. Notice the word 'advertised'? It was also in the original post.

Second, I thought any idiot would understand that "university jobs" included more than professors. Well, you were the idiot that proved me wrong.

What was it about my post that upset you?

Is it the fact that the average assistant professor salaries range from 42k to 110k, and given the fact that you teach at UTEP (the asshole of texas), you're probably on the low end of that? Did I hit a nerve?

Maybe if you weren't so confrontational, you would've wound up at a better university. Hard to say though, might just be your ability or lack thereof.

Good luck in your job search. Apparently you'll need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UTEP CS dept is actually one of the very good of the nation. If you don't know any better...
Nothing upset me in your post. It was just inaccurate.

I'm far from the low end. Actually, I'm quite a bit higher than you.

It is you that got confrontational and now you're also being rude. I sure hope your coding skills are better than your manners.

For info, I got offers pretty much wherever I want.
I'm just not sure what I really want to do...
you on the other hand do not get the salary you want...
hmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apparently, you do not understand the concept of average either...

the average assistant professor makes $79K over 9 months...why do you need a range...?whatever...

any other insults you'd like to add?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<UTEP (the asshole of texas)>>

I think UT-Permian Basin and UT-Pan American took that title from UTEP looooong ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Best companies to work for? [Cyclopath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention that, what most people know of EP is what they see from I10...
when in reality you'd have a hard finding a better place to train (besides open water swimming...unless you want to risk your life in the Rio Grande where, if the water doesn't kill you, the Border Patrols will)...
Tons of open roads with shoulders, climbing, flat, rolling hills, real passes, tons of trail for mountain biking, tons of trails of running, great weather year round (ok, 'breezy' at times), 4500ft, low cost of living.

To say that UTEP sucks shows someone doesn't know much about computer science departments...to say the least. We don't get as much funding as say CMU, but then we do not have 60 faculty members, and teach 2 classes per sem. not, 1 per year (if that)...we still get a LOT of external funding...

That said, at least. robb codes in the right language.
That's a plus in my book.
Quote Reply

Prev Next