Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you pee in the pool? [vivie1072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vivie - here is something you can research if you want to kill some time...

There is something researched and documented called the "P Phenomenon." I read an article about it in a scientific journal my marine science roommate subscribed to. They were talking about it in relation to divers, but the idea is that being in submerged in the water - even at very little depth - makes people have to pee b/c the the water puts pressure on your body tissues and "squeezes" out excess water. Hence, the frequent need to pee during a swim workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you pee in the pool? [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Okay. It's just that when these threads pop up, the poolpee-ers tend to act like peeing in the pool is a ritual part of their workout routine, like spitting in their goggles, or only leaving when the pace clock is on a number that ends in 5 or something. I get the impression that most pool peers are either extremely inconsiderate, rather immature, or incontinent.

<shrug>

Or something.

You don't get it. Lets say you peed 45 min before you W/O, you have been drinking plenty of fluids all day because you need it because you W/O a lot, so chances are you'll need to pee again pretty soon. You are in the middle of your W/O say on a set of 15x100 on what ever interval you do, and you’re getting into the groove and you get the urge to Pee not only because you have a lot of fluid inside you because you have been drinking all day but also because you in a friggin pool. So now it is time to decide what you do. Option A interrupt the set for 5-10 minutes while you hop out and do your stuff, B Take a leak right their and get on with your W/O or C try to hold on for the next 10-15 minutes while you finish the set. Now factor in that every one of us has been’s at one time or another had a swim coach standing over us that went to the Hitler youth school for swim coaches your choices are pretty well narrowed down for you because getting out in the middle of a set is simply not an option.

Piss in a pool is just like car accidents, guns and the flu, no one really wants them around but you know you can't get rid of them so just accept them and move on.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Do you pee in the pool? [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every chance I get.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you pee in the pool? [Haondotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound as though you have experience with this so how can I argue.

Re: Do you pee in the pool? [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You don't get it. Lets say you peed 45 min before you W/O,

Umm...I don't get it. Okay.

I don't know if you are trying to rebut my point, but you seem to be supporting it. If you wait 45 minutes between the time you pee and the time you jump in the pool, with all due respect, you are splitting your time between the immature and inconsiderate camps, IMO. (because mature people realize that when they are about to place themselves in a situation in which a bathroom facility won't be available for awhile, they go before they place themselves in that situation, and the inconsiderate person...well, that speaks for itself, huh)

By your own account of your scenario, you have jumped in the pool having the knowledge that a) it's been awhile since you peed, and b) you are going to need to pee again soon. Yet you just jump right in, without a trip to the head. In your scenario, you are in the middle of a 15x100, and you haven't peed for 45 minutes prior to jumping in the pool. So, just to make up some numbers, let's say you are doing your 100's on 1:45, and you are in the middle of your workout, so you've been swimming for...let's see...8*1.75=carry the one, everybody get 14 minutes? And you have 12:30 left in your workout. So it's been 45 + 14 = 59 minutes since you peed when you have this urge to let go. You've help it darn near an hour.

How's about trying a little 'spearmint? Let's say, just for the sake of science, that instead of lapsing 45 minutes between peeing and jumping in the pool, you pee right before you jump in the pool. (That's what I do)

In your scenario, you were able to hold it for an hour (okay, 59 minutes). Had you peed right before you started your workout, you'd have made the 15 * 1:45 = 26:15 with 32:45 to sit in the Jacuzzi and/or steam room before you needed to go.

I have no problem swimming any of my workouts before I need to pee (granted, sometimes I need to go pretty bad when I'm done...I'll give you that), and I'll betcha dollahs to dog turds that you're faster than me. I'll also grant you that you may very likely swim longer workouts than I do...I'm seldom in the pool for longer than an hour.

But give that a try, and see how that works for you.

Please.

You may have grown up with Nazi youth swim coaches, but didn't you have a mother?

Good grief.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Do you pee in the pool? [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never did...now I do. There's a great radio ad in circulation here in toronto about the effects of pee in a pool on people versus second hand smoke in your house...makes me crack up every time i hear it. I can't find a link online so people can hear it though...I think you'd all enjoy it. Here's the transcript though http://www.region.peel.on.ca/...thing/swimmingpl.htm
Last edited by: mileader: Jan 20, 06 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh- Little to serious here, but I'll play along

For me I don't have the urge to pee every 45 minutes, even with a lot of fluids, maybe you do.

Second you go when you need to, not when you want and if that time is 45min before the WO then that is when you go.

You made the poor assumption that the 15x100 set I listed as the example was the only thing I was going to do in W/O- No Warm up no other sets just straight in- Poor assumption which also makes your math incorrect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reply from my coach (he's been a full-time age grouper and masters coach for about 15 years) when i jumped out during a rest break to have a pee (in the washroom) "Youc all yourself a swimmer?" Everyone does it...a whole ot more than 25% of people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was your scenario...so your beef about my math is kinda funny.

I think you are losing the point in picking the nits.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was your scenario...so your beef about my math is kinda funny.

I think you are losing the point in picking the nits.

Yup it was my scenario no denying that, however it was you that made the assumptions about the scenario not me. Unfortunately you based your math on your poor assumption, you know the saying garbage in garbage out

Don't drink the pool water :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next