Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pope Joan
Quote | Reply
Fact or fiction? A very intriguing story either way.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Pope Joan [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, it was an interesting story. But I did not like how it was all these things that appear to indicate its true. Then in the last 5 minutes show the counter side.

I guess it was really a story about the Pope Joan story, then a balanced report off the facts to let you decide.

I thought the part about the birth road was funny. Did you catch how they slipped in that the new route is on a larger street. Not that that would have any impact :).

And I would like to have heard a bit more about the fact that the Papal line appears well documented in that era and there is no missing popes, or big gaps? Ya it could be a cover up but would liked to have heard more about that.

And I love the last part about the chair. That was just downright funny.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pure fiction. I love these "investigative reports" that spend an hour and a half darkly insiniuating some grand conspiracy, then spend about 5 or 10 minutes asking the experts they've used to make the insinuations if it's true or not- they universally say, no, it's certainly not true. Then the final minutes of the show are spent wondering aloud about how, well, maybe it isn't actually true, but wouldn't it be interesting if it was, and really, who's to know?

Very same template Stone Phillips followed for his big report into the accuracy of the DaVinci Code. Ridiculous.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Pope Joan [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that the Vatican is historically forthcoming about its secrets and scandals, but I found the story highly suspect as well. The kicker was the story of spontaneous labor and birth which led to her murder. Is there any truth to the story of the marble chair, or is it just a coincidence? I was thinking it was originally built for an incontinent occupant then took on a life of its own.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any truth to the story of the marble chair, or is it just a coincidence? I was thinking it was originally built for an incontinent occupant then took on a life of its own.

As far as I know, it was just a common Roman bath chair, with no significance beyond that.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that if your going to do any type of stroy show both sides and let's hear all the facts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it wasn't as bad as it came off to you. Clearly they were being provocative in attempting to make a case for it, but the entire time they had experts who were refuting theories for Joan's existence, it was not just in the last 5 minutes that they brought in the counter opinion.

Haven't seen the Stone Phillips report, but very shortly after the books release it was all over the news that it was not a true story.
Quote Reply