Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Teenager in Iraq
Quote | Reply
I've been reading a little about this kid who made his way over to Iraq supposedly without his parents' knowledge (where did they think he was . . . . ). If I was his parent, I would be angry on so many levels that he would probably never leave the house again until he moved out. On the other hand, you have to admire (just a little) the drive and ingenuity it took for this kid to make it as far as he did.
Quote Reply
Re: Teenager in Iraq [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you hear why he went over there?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Teenager in Iraq [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something about immersion journalism . . . . I'd like to see what, if anything, he's written about his experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something about immersion journalism

Whoa. I'd be mad if he was my kid, too, but you do gotta give him credit. He's a bona fide go-getter.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read this story in our local paper. He went over there because he was in a high school class about "immersion journalism." Apparently he wanted to get a good grade or something! I read this article slack-jawed. How could his parents not have known?

Bernie

Quote | Reply
It sounds like a class that may not be in the curriculum next year! It sounds as if this teacher is really good at inspiring students. Too bad this teacher is not teaching Math or Science.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
I read a portion of the essay, not bad.

His father is from Iraq and he looks like he could fit right in but he doesn't know Arabic. He tried to cross into Iraq initially from Kuwait, by cab, but they didn't let him cross. He flew to Lebanon and then into Baghdad. He said it was extremely dangerous and he felt everyone was watching him. He managed to find his way to the Green Zone and then decided things were too risky for any non-Iraqi, to be in Iraq. He was protected by the U.S and now is on his way back to the U.S.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Teenager in Iraq [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resourceful and prudent. Someone should hire this kid right now, before some Ivy League schools gets its claws into him. ;)

Most impressive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he's going to Liberty University after high school :)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I admire Farris Hassan a lot. Good for him. He wanted to get at his version of the truth and be "an ambassador for democracy" as his parents said.

I'm pleased the kid didn't get hurt. He wasn't entirely in touch with reality when he did it, but good for him. Initiative should be rewarded. The young man deserves an "A" in his immersion journalism class. I hope we hear more from him.

A fine young man.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>supposedly without his parents' knowledge (where did they think he was . . . . )<<

The way I read it is that he's in a boarding school.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Teenager in Iraq [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His school principle has reported that the student had his fathers permission all along. Not quite as sensational now.

http://www.miami.com/...iherald/13517212.htm

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Last edited by: hpwvale: Dec 31, 05 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: Teenager in Iraq [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, perhaps, more sensational.