Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Hannity has been a close advisor for some time now, albeit in an unofficial capacity. If he weren't making zillions over at Fox, he'd be next in line for Kushner's spot (which may well open up sooner than later).
If that happened, POTUS's top advisor would be a guy without a college degree.
Best and brightest
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump is en fuego. Fired two new lawyers before they could even start. Not sure why you would publicly announce their hiring if you weren't pretty sure they were going to be hired.
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Trump is en fuego. Fired two new lawyers before they could even start. Not sure why you would publicly announce their hiring if you weren't pretty sure they were going to be hired.

Did they quit (after they realized what an impossible task it was) or get fired?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Did they quit (after they realized what an impossible task it was) or get fired?

It's all pretty vague. The wording on most of the articles makes it sounds like it was Trump's decision. The two reasons given by the NYT are "lack of personal chemistry" (unnamed source) and a conflict of interest because one of the lawyers is representing *another* Trump departure, Mark Corallo, who left as PR spokesman for Trump's legal team, allegedly because of obstruction of justice concerns.

Setting aside the basic due diligence of making sure the lawyers you're about to hire aren't representing someone who could testify against you in court before you put out the press release announcing their hiring, I speculate it may have gone down something like this:

Trump: "I'd like you to stop representing Corallo out of loyalty to me."
diGenova/Toensing: "No."
Trump: "I see that we have a lack or personal chemistry. Goodbye."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
trail wrote:

Most likely the offer was rescinded when they asked for a retainer.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems the latest two lawyers have declined to join the legal team. There seems to be an implication that the prior two didn't want to join either.

Quote:
Two more lawyers have declined to join President Donald Trump's legal team, a Chicago-based law firm said Tuesday, the latest attorneys to turn down an invitation to represent the President amid special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.
In a statement, Winston & Strawn said attorneys Dan Webb and Tom Buchanan "were unable to take on the representation due to business conflicts."
"However they consider the opportunity to represent the President to be the highest honor and they sincerely regret that they cannot do so. They wish the President the best and believe he has excellent representation in Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow," the statement continued.
https://www.cnn.com/...rump-team/index.html

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
It seems the latest two lawyers have declined to join the legal team. There seems to be an implication that the prior two didn't want to join either.

Quote:

Two more lawyers have declined to join President Donald Trump's legal team, a Chicago-based law firm said Tuesday, the latest attorneys to turn down an invitation to represent the President amid special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.
In a statement, Winston & Strawn said attorneys Dan Webb and Tom Buchanan "were unable to take on the representation due to business conflicts."
"However they consider the opportunity to represent the President to be the highest honor and they sincerely regret that they cannot do so. They wish the President the best and believe he has excellent representation in Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow," the statement continued.
https://www.cnn.com/...rump-team/index.html[/quote[/url]]

I'm sure there are some lawyers who just don't want to wade into this mess, but given how wide-reaching the Mueller investigation is and will be, I imagine a large amount of D.C. firms and lawyers would have legitimate conflicts of interest in taking on the President as a client. Lots of these firms and attorneys are already representing people related to the investigation.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
jmh wrote:

Quote:

https://www.cnn.com/...rump-team/index.html[/quote[/url]]

I'm sure there are some lawyers who just don't want to wade into this mess, but given how wide-reaching the Mueller investigation is and will be, I imagine a large amount of D.C. firms and lawyers would have legitimate conflicts of interest in taking on the President as a client. Lots of these firms and attorneys are already representing people related to the investigation.

As well as the conflicts of interest, some reports have indicated that the law firms don't see the upside from a PR perspective (deterring future clients), and also that existing clients have resisted the law firms from representing the president, because they don't want to be represented by a firm that is associated with the president. Then there's the whole "will my client actually do as instructed?" question.
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking it is the Trump Touch.

The Trump Touch is similar to the Midas Touch, but instead of turning things to gold, everything he touches turns to shit.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
As well as the conflicts of interest, some reports have indicated that the law firms don't see the upside from a PR perspective

Yeah. I'd guess that new law firms would call Dowd for a little due diligence. Although details couldn't be talked about, I'm sure Dowd could provide warnings like, "Run."
Quote Reply
Re: McMaster, come on down!!! [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:

I would think you were kidding but Trump tweeted "....lawyer or law firm will take months to get up to speed (if for no other reason than they can bill more), which is unfair to our great country - and I am very happy with my existing team."

Great strategy to get new counsel on board - complain about billable hours before they're even hired.

I'm confused about the line "unfair to our great country," though. I thought we were talking about Trump's private lawyers, not government lawyers. How does fairness factor into what he does with his own money? I'm assuming he pays Sekulow, et al, out of his own pocket....right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

As well as the conflicts of interest, some reports have indicated that the law firms don't see the upside from a PR perspective

Yeah. I'd guess that new law firms would call Dowd for a little due diligence. Although details couldn't be talked about, I'm sure Dowd could provide warnings like, "Run."

Remember this story:
http://www.businessinsider.com/...ichael-flynn-2017-12

Recent reports suggest one of Muellers lines of inquiry are into "obstruction of justice." If Dowd has decided to cooperate with Mueller, and did not, in fact send the Tweet (which in my view is the more likely scenario), by now cooperating he may be helping Mueller to build an obstruction of justice case. So the timing of Dowd's recent resignation may be associated with this scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

I would think you were kidding but Trump tweeted "....lawyer or law firm will take months to get up to speed (if for no other reason than they can bill more), which is unfair to our great country - and I am very happy with my existing team."

Great strategy to get new counsel on board - complain about billable hours before they're even hired.

I'm confused about the line "unfair to our great country," though. I thought we were talking about Trump's private lawyers, not government lawyers. How does fairness factor into what he does with his own money? I'm assuming he pays Sekulow, et al, out of his own pocket....right?

He can make the argument that the right thing for the country is to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, and hiring a new team would delay resolution because they would need to be given time to come up to speed, potentially delaying the process, by his estimation, for months.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is better than NetFlix. If the truth is only half as fascinating as what we're speculating about, there are going to be some great books written.
Quote Reply

Prev Next