Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Making a dog like another dog
Quote | Reply
Need tips!

My neighbor got a beautiful puppy (female) and she wants to romp and play. My dog (also female) is a great little home protector by barking but is really very gentle and kind. We tried to get them to play in the yard, off the leash. The neighbor’s dog was all for it. Mine trembled then ran for the porch and stood at the window to go inside and escape.

My neighbor suggested we walk them together on leashes and maybe mine will warm up. I’m all for that idea. I’d love for my dog to have a buddy but don’t want to stress her out.

She played very well with our other dog (male) but he passed away a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Need tips!

My neighbor got a beautiful puppy (female) and she wants to romp and play. My dog (also female) is a great little home protector by barking but is really very gentle and kind. We tried to get them to play in the yard, off the leash. The neighbor’s dog was all for it. Mine trembled then ran for the porch and stood at the window to go inside and escape.

My neighbor suggested we walk them together on leashes and maybe mine will warm up. I’m all for that idea. I’d love for my dog to have a buddy but don’t want to stress her out.

She played very well with our other dog (male) but he passed away a few years ago.
Hold your dog in a big embrace. Let the puppy approach. Pet on puppy while continuing to hug on your dog. Control the close quarters interaction between the dogs by keeping puppy calm and encouraging your dog to interact with the calm puppy. Keep the puppy's exhuberance in check while your dog gets acclimated to it. Make it clear to your dog, via gestures, voice tone, and body language, that you're good with them playing together. Help your dog see the fun in it.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expected this was going to be a Barbra Streisand thread.

We have a similar issue with our dog.. barks a good game from behind windows or the front door, but is super-timid around other dogs. We lost our older black lab back in the fall and this one took a lot of her cues from the lab, so since then she's been a little lost socially. She's getting better slowly but really wants no part of interacting much with other dogs, to the point she'll just stand there tolerating being sniffed, and then walk away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea to take them out walking together. That way, they're on 'neutral turf' and can interact as much or as little as they like, but at least they get used to the other being around. Once your pup gets accustomed to the other, I'd expect the level of interaction to increase and hopefully she'll get to the point where playing together in the yard becomes great fun.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
Need tips!

Hold your dog in a big embrace. Let the puppy approach. Pet on puppy while continuing to hug on your dog. Control the close quarters interaction between the dogs by keeping puppy calm and encouraging your dog to interact with the calm puppy. Keep the puppy's exhuberance in check while your dog gets acclimated to it. Make it clear to your dog, via gestures, voice tone, and body language, that you're good with them playing together. Help your dog see the fun in it.

Sorry dude, this is a horrible idea. All that does is force the dog to stay still and not be able to flee. You are completely ignoring dogs reward systems. Sure they like it when you are happy, but that does not diminish fear response, it only forces them to shut down. It will look like better behaviour, but it is simply fear.

Better to take them both for a walk, on leash. Walk parallel but keep your dog behind and to the side about five feet back and five feet to the side. Allow your dog to acclimatize slowly to the other dog. You may have to do this a number of times before your dog will approach the other. Carry treats and reward copiously any behaviour that looks “friendly”. Even looking at the othe dog should be rewarded. Slow and steady progress is the name of the game. Do not force the issue. This is never a “teach them to swim by throwing them in the pool” situation.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
Need tips!

Sorry dude, this is a horrible idea. All that does is force the dog to stay still and not be able to flee. You are completely ignoring dogs reward systems. Sure they like it when you are happy, but that does not diminish fear response, it only forces them to shut down. It will look like better behaviour, but it is simply fear.

Better to take them both for a walk, on leash. Walk parallel but keep your dog behind and to the side about five feet back and five feet to the side. Allow your dog to acclimatize slowly to the other dog. You may have to do this a number of times before your dog will approach the other. Carry treats and reward copiously any behaviour that looks “friendly”. Even looking at the othe dog should be rewarded. Slow and steady progress is the name of the game. Do not force the issue. This is never a “teach them to swim by throwing them in the pool” situation.

Sure, if the big embrace doesn't keep the dog settle down and it wants to escape, let it escape. You went more extreme then I did. My idea was one of reassurance, not one of trapping it.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try cloning it.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cover the other dog in peanut butter.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Cover the other dog in peanut butter.

DON"T do that. It can be really painful if the dog has sharp teeth. Or so I heard from a number of websites.
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
Try cloning it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: Justgeorge: Mar 22, 18 2:22
Quote Reply
Re: Making a dog like another dog [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here

Quote | Reply
Tie the puppy up and leave your dog loose. This way your dog can control the amount of contact. Try a couple days in a row. Be patient.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply