Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I can foresee with replacing solid red arrows with a disappearing arrow is that cars following others into a left turn across traffic may not see the light change and in the absence of a flashing red, may presume the turn of the vehicle in front of them indicates they have the right of way, setting the stage for a t-bone accident. In places that didn't have a turn arrow to begin with it probably wouldn't be an issue, but at intersections where drivers are used to turning only when they have the right of way, I can see that going badly.

Flashing yellow makes sense, and I think I've seen both flashing red and flashing yellow used for that purpose. My guess is they achieve the same effect of safely allowing vehicles to turn when clear. I doubt the difference between flashing red and flashing yellow would result in any difference in traffic flow, or lack thereof.

Like you, I treat solid red turn arrows like stop signs now, at intersections where they only serve to facilitate traffic flow and not prevent accidents from limited visibility. I consider it in keeping with the spirit of the law if not the letter.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I think that’s the big thing you need to go all in on it. If you do that it forces people to figure it out and they get used to it.

The one from Mexico looks insane.

The statistics make sense though it’s significantly more difficult to barrel through a roundabout so any crashes would be at a lower speed. I almost got blasted by some lady talking on her phone a few months ago. Laid on my horn and she didn’t even move her head. People are just oblivous.

Multilane roundabouts do allow cars to barrel through at high speed when volumes are low because cars tend not to remain lane correct. Other drawbacks include:

They are typically much more difficult to negotiate for larger, articulated vehicles. Even smaller, single lane roundabouts are difficult for rigid buses.

With no signal component they are harder to cross for pedestrians in busier locations. Drivers don’t tend to look out for peds in the same way as when making a typical 90 degree turn.

Of much relevance to this broader forum, they are significantly more hazardous for cyclists. Don’t know what it is but cars tend to pay even less respect (if that’s possible( at roundabouts. Left turns on multilane examples take confidence. I’m a confident road cyclists but roundabouts make me nervous. At signalised intersections you don’t need to worry about the side roads. Roundabouts? Assume those on (in your case right) will give way to you at your peril.

Take up considerably more room so for established sites can be difficult to fit and may require costly service relocations.

They certainly do reduce certain accident types as quoted above, but they most definitely have drawbacks for other road users. It’s not just about the passenger car. They have their place, but they aren’t a cure all.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I hate DST. Just move it forward an hour and keep it there.

I don't care where they put it, just leave it alone already. Why are we still changing the clocks?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply

Prev Next