Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Land Purchase/home build
Quote | Reply
So, just as my wife and I had finally gotten the cash together to buy a piece of land, we find out that it had been in contract with someone else, there is still a chance it wont close next friday, but seeing that it was also a cash offer I doubt that.

The story was, as of this past friday it was still being advertised for sale (not contingent or pending or anything), I talked with our realtor stating we wanted to put in an offer and she emailed their realtor but never got a response. I found out sunday that the status had changed to "contingent" and both my realtor and I had been trying to get ahold of the other realtor and we FINALLY heard back from them today. The property was owned by a church, so it had to first be approved by council then brought before the church for a vote, and that vote happened Sunday. So apparently it had been semi-approved for a few weeks at the point we wanted to make an offer. My question is though, isnt the contract technically not approved then until the church votes on it? And if that is the case, had their realtor responded in time couldnt they have had 2 contracts to vote on instead of one? Either way, I think I am basically out of options on that piece of land unless it miraculously falls through next friday.

So my real question is this, my wife and I (me more then her), were really looking forward to being able to do our own build/design instead of a tract builders design (and what we were going to do was going to be a lot stronger and more energy efficient as well). I am really leaning towards building as opposed to buying a house already on the market (not a ton of good houses, lots of compromises and risks of close to maxing our budget and then having issues to fix).

This leaves us basically with 3 options

1. Land that is a bit further from the city (fine by me, not so much the wife, so obviously the least likely option)
2. Building in a new development in the part of town we want to be in.
3. Appeal to home owners that currently own land (mostly farm) to sell us an acre or two and then get it re-zoned to residential, this would allow us to get land where we want and build what we want.

What option would you try to pick? I am leaning towards #3, but feel I would be terrible at trying to get a land owner to sell me 1-2 acres of their 100+.
Quote Reply
Re: Land Purchase/home build [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
So, just as my wife and I had finally gotten the cash together to buy a piece of land, we find out that it had been in contract with someone else, there is still a chance it wont close next friday, but seeing that it was also a cash offer I doubt that.

The story was, as of this past friday it was still being advertised for sale (not contingent or pending or anything), I talked with our realtor stating we wanted to put in an offer and she emailed their realtor but never got a response. I found out sunday that the status had changed to "contingent" and both my realtor and I had been trying to get ahold of the other realtor and we FINALLY heard back from them today. The property was owned by a church, so it had to first be approved by council then brought before the church for a vote, and that vote happened Sunday. So apparently it had been semi-approved for a few weeks at the point we wanted to make an offer. My question is though, isnt the contract technically not approved then until the church votes on it? And if that is the case, had their realtor responded in time couldnt they have had 2 contracts to vote on instead of one? Either way, I think I am basically out of options on that piece of land unless it miraculously falls through next friday.

So my real question is this, my wife and I (me more then her), were really looking forward to being able to do our own build/design instead of a tract builders design (and what we were going to do was going to be a lot stronger and more energy efficient as well). I am really leaning towards building as opposed to buying a house already on the market (not a ton of good houses, lots of compromises and risks of close to maxing our budget and then having issues to fix).

This leaves us basically with 3 options

1. Land that is a bit further from the city (fine by me, not so much the wife, so obviously the least likely option)
2. Building in a new development in the part of town we want to be in.
3. Appeal to home owners that currently own land (mostly farm) to sell us an acre or two and then get it re-zoned to residential, this would allow us to get land where we want and build what we want.

What option would you try to pick? I am leaning towards #3, but feel I would be terrible at trying to get a land owner to sell me 1-2 acres of their 100+.

Depends on the contract. It's probably gone. When agents dont return phone calls they're confident that it'll go through.

Suggest you sit down with the County (assuming you're in US) that you want to build in and even see if 3 is an option. Likely, it isn't. Even if it is you'll have an uphill battle just from a regulatory perspective....that's without addressing finding/convincing someone to chop up their farmland for you (very, very unlikely).

So, go for 2 gets my vote.

FYI building is very, very expensive unless you're doing it in a development where they're throwing them up all at once.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Stal said #2 is difficult. Usually farm owner has to get permission to sever subject to regulatory approval. That cost money. Then they can sell. We built 15 years ago. I recommend reading Susan Susanka's book, "Not so big house" There are lots of good design features that can allow you to build smaller but not feel like you are in a small house. The other thing is to get unsolicited opinions about people's builders. Find new builds in you area and ask people if they had a good experience with their builder. I would recommend talking to at least five people per builder if you can. That filters out the wacky people who didn't like their builder because they had unrealistic expectations.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the church lot is your dream lot, you should be able to find the name of the buyer and how much they paid after closure from the municipal office, at least where I live it is. Offer them 120% or whatever it means to you for the land. Use a lawyer versus a realtor so they would see funding. For example, if they paid $50K and you offer them $60K, it may be worth it to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 4. Buy a tear down. That's about the only way to buy "land" within an hour of the city here.

Which ever option you chose, hire an Architect. Just note that you don't have to be licensed to design SFH up to 3500 sf or 2 or 3 unit MFH in most states. But most of us stay the hell away from residential ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Land Purchase/home build [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I would recommend talking to at least five people per builder if you can. That filters out the wacky people who didn't like their builder because they had unrealistic expectations.

This. We have a custom built home. Loved our experience with our builder. He was on-time, on-budget, no surprises. A neighbor has a house he built for them a year after ours. She loves the house but complains constantly, about things he had no control over. Such as, "he" should have put an elevator in the house because my parents are in their 80's and have trouble with the stairs. Hmmm. Remember, this is a custom home so he will put in an elevator, just bring your checkbook. Or she has now decided that they need a 2nd bathroom downstairs for guests, so the builder should have known that. Or she doesn't like where she chose to put the light switches in her master bedroom, so he should move them, at his cost. Each of us chose where we wanted our lights and the associated switching. Or the builder recommended a landscaper (he recommended 2 actually) and she is not happy with his work (about $80k) and thinks the builder should fix the landscaping to her satisfaction, at his cost, because the landscaper won't. The list is endless and growing.

Point being, some people are simply wacky in their expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify.....the option where we get a builder in a tract wouldn't be anywhere nearcustom, it would probably be the base design from the builder (M/I, Westport, Fischer, etc)

The self build would be me acting as general contractor and doing a lot of the work myself. As for farmland selling around here, it's in an area that will probably have tract builders coming in to try and buy the plots anyway to build. All within 20 minutes of downtown with schools rated no lower then a 7. The next closest area with schools that good are a minimum of 45 minutes to downtown in recent traffic.

I know it will be hard to convince a sale, then go through zoning change, but there is already a decent amount of SFH on what would look like property that has already been split off from the land. Row of houses off each inside corner of an interaction (at least 4/5 each side) with a good size gap and then some more homes. I have a decent amount of time to do it, but then the option 2 might be gone, the latest i can break ground in March of 2021
Last edited by: 140.6sj: Feb 2, 18 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 3 is pretty much impossible here is CenCal farm country. Why don't you simply buy a 10 or 20 ac parcel and lease it out for someone to farm. Or if you are very ambitious, farm it yourself. Then you have a nice barrier around you. Other than that, Option 2.

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Feb 2, 18 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Land Purchase/home build [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Option 3 is pretty much impossible here is CenCal farm country. Why don't you simply buy a 10 or 20 ac parcel and lease it out for someone to farm. Or if you are very ambitious, farm it yourself. Then you have a nice barrier around you. Other than that, Option 2.
I'm in central ohio, not CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was going to ask you where you were, and say you were lucky to have missed out on this opportunity. I too bought land and built my own house, and it was just like everyone told me, a nightmare. I got it done and like a horrible race, time makes you forget how much of a hassle and how much stress it was to build your own house. Took me two years, an actual full year just for the permitting process, but being in Ohio it has to be a lot easer than Los Angeles county. In fact after I built I talked to friends who lived in rural areas of other states and they said you just basically build, then go get your permits after, Uggg!! And some places it is just $100 to get started!! I think I had spent over $80k before I turned the first shovel of dirt..

Love my house though, and saved a shit ton of money doing it that way, so all in all would do it again if $$ was a factor...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Where in central OH? I live north of 36 off 71 a quarter mile from Alum Creek where it is still a creek. BlEp will tell me to take it to the other forum, but my runs and rides start on my driveway. I've done the 50 mile loop without ever having to put my foot down (and I can't do track stands).

28 minutes to downtown with no traffic. Usually not much more than that on the ride in. 40'ish coming home. All the bad traffic is inside 270. There is land very close to me that was a farm that was split.

It is easier to get to downtown from my house than it is to get there from around Polaris and a little bit north.

We bought 2.5 acres went semi-custom with a builder. After this, no way I am living on .20 acres in a subdivision.

ETA - https://www.google.com/...hl=en&authuser=0 It looks further out than it is. 18 minutes to Polaris.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Feb 2, 18 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the point I didnt make is that it might be tough to create a small lot in farm country. There are often minimum lot sizes to contend with.

Re: Land Purchase/home build [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I guess the point I didnt make is that it might be tough to create a small lot in farm country. There are often minimum lot sizes to contend with.

We have no respect for farm land here in central OH. Most lots are 2.5 acres. Happens all the time. And 15 minutes outside Columbus there is still a lot of land around. A lot of the land doesn't have sewer close by so subdivisions aren't happening either. I have water but no sewer, so no well but a septic system, which is pretty common around here.

My county, Morrow, doesn't even do occupancy permits after the build and not positive they require a building permit either. Makes it easy to build, but also makes it easy to have problem homes if land is cheap.

Quote Reply
Re: Land Purchase/home build [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would take a while for me to get used to all that freedom.

Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Where in central OH? I live north of 36 off 71 a quarter mile from Alum Creek where it is still a creek. BlEp will tell me to take it to the other forum, but my runs and rides start on my driveway. I've done the 50 mile loop without ever having to put my foot down (and I can't do track stands).

28 minutes to downtown with no traffic. Usually not much more than that on the ride in. 40'ish coming home. All the bad traffic is inside 270. There is land very close to me that was a farm that was split.

It is easier to get to downtown from my house than it is to get there from around Polaris and a little bit north.

We bought 2.5 acres went semi-custom with a builder. After this, no way I am living on .20 acres in a subdivision.

ETA - https://www.google.com/...hl=en&authuser=0 It looks further out than it is. 18 minutes to Polaris.

I actually saw a 1.4 acres lot off 36 that I like except a high power line going through it on the backside.

We are currently in a less then desirable home on the east side (I bought as a bachelor), so schools are crap. The area we were looking was in Lockbourne/Obetz area.

What semi-final builder did you use?

As far as splitting off small parcels from farm land, I would assume it is possible since those houses that seemed to have already been split are lots smaller then I would ask for and there is developments just up the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
j p o wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

I actually saw a 1.4 acres lot off 36 that I like except a high power line going through it on the backside.

We are currently in a less then desirable home on the east side (I bought as a bachelor), so schools are crap. The area we were looking was in Lockbourne/Obetz area.

What semi-final builder did you use?

As far as splitting off small parcels from farm land, I would assume it is possible since those houses that seemed to have already been split are lots smaller then I would ask for and there is developments just up the road.

We used Trinity. Everything is possible with a large enough checkbook. Though it became obvious when it was something they didn't really want to do as the price would go way up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small world. I've played Bent Tree probably 200 times, as went to school just up the road at Kenyon. Nice rolling countryside you live in.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Land Purchase/home build [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the lot because I kept riding by it. It's pretty nice.

Quote Reply