Prev Next
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about philly eagle fans?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I just don't see it. If you apply yourself there is no reason you can't still be successful in this day and age. In fact, I would say anyone that does apply themselves will end up being successful by any reasonable measure.

So basically what you're saying is the impoverished who couldn't get their shit together to be successful, are going to get their shit together to cause meaningful social unrest?

I would say that kids who have advantages throughout their lives are much likely to amass opportunities which will make them successful. The game as presently configured gives huge advantages to people who already have wealth/education/connections, and that is unsustainable if it continues. It is one thing to look at the bottom 5-10% and say "that isn't a great threat" and another to realize that the bottom 60% are falling behind in a game that seems to be somewhat rigged.

BTW, Sanuk's "breakdown of the family" point hasn't panned out in the 50 years since it was first predicted. I suspect he lives in an area in which families are boringly similar to the way that they have been for decades.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 2, 18 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking we can give another country "a bloody nose" and think it will end well.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, Sanuk's "breakdown of the family" point hasn't panned out in the 50 years since it was first predicted. I suspect he lives in an area in which families are boringly similar to the way that they have been for decades.

Well I did live in the predominantly gay area of downtown Vancouver for the last 2 years. Before that I lived in Manila and prior to that a year in Bangkok.

If those are boringly similar areas, then I'm guilty.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Feb 2, 18 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Y'all should come out here to the Bay Area, and see the hellhole that liberalism has wrought (or just go to Norway). Please, there are just too many counter-examples of evil liberal policies which seem to be working pretty well in lots of areas (universal healthcare, marriage equality, high minimum wage,...).

Already been there. Lived in Vallejo and Alameda. That experience is part of what shaped my opinion about liberalism and the unbelievably 'Calicentric' attitude that seemed to prevail.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that in many ways that attitudes toward family in each location is boringly similar to they way they were 20 years ago (in that location). Exception, I suspect the "gay" area has become much more family-oriented since the crazy 70's and 80's.

To gregtryin: Alameda and Vallejo? Ugh, no wonder. They are pretty unrepresentative of the Bay Area as a whole. FWIW, so is Palo Alto.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 2, 18 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: What is the greatest threat to the USA? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The breakdown of the family.

It's created some very far reaching problems in only the last 30 years.

Can you give any clarity about what this means? Is it just single-parent homes, or are you talking about something more?
Quote Reply

Prev Next