Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally I'm the same, catching all but one or two of the movies in the big categories, except this last year I saw next to none. My priorities shifted and I just haven't felt like watching too many. I say that, but then realize that I went to the theatre 3 times during the last month...but think I went 4 times in total over the last 12 months and have hardly streamed any.

j p o wrote:
Usually I have seen most of the movies nominated, and thought I had seen most movies that were any good this year. Then I read through the nominations and was just, nope, nope, nope, nope, ...
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Every year it seems like the Oscars are more and more about Hollywood virtue signaling and less about movies. That could be one reason the Oscars ratings continue to slide.

Ahh <recognition>. "virtue signaling". That's a good phrase. I agree.

Yeah, #oscarssowhite and #metoo/ #timesup is going to lead to virtue signalling.

I'm just suprised that Wonder Woman didn't make it onto the list, given the whole marketting and media excitement about it (a female director! Directing a stong independant woman lead! etc). Esp since it was a pretty good film.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I guess you can add me to the list of people who have not seen those flicks.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
You didn't like any of the 2017 nominees, "Hidden Figures", "Fences", "Manchester by the Sea" or "Arrival"? As with "Dunkirk", "Hidden Figures" made me look more into the history. "Fences" was a great dialogue movie with excellent acting. It was long but easily held my attention. "Manchester by the Sea" showed the guilt of a parent and how it affects their life. "Arrival" was a good movie but I didn't particularly think the acting was excellent. The first three were excellent films that deserved Oscar nods, not sure why "Arrival" was nominated.

2016 - "The Big Short", "The Revenant", "Bridge of Spies"
2015 - "American Sniper" “the Imitation Game”
2014 - "12 Years a Slave", "Captain Phillips", "Dallas Buyers Club", "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Do you go to the movies very often or are you really, really picky? The last time I only saw and liked a few of the Oscar nominations was in 2012 and "The Help" should have won that year.
2016 - "The Big Short", "The Revenant", "Bridge of Spies"
2015 - "American Sniper" “the Imitation Game”
2014 - "12 Years a Slave", "Captain Phillips", "Dallas Buyers Club", "The Wolf of Wall Street"

I short listed 2016. The ones I posted I liked. I am pretty picky.
I am a history nerd so historical movies are tough for me to love. Dunkirk is a good example. I kind of hated it but then tried to tune out what I knew and just watch the movie. It was just ok. I got mired down looking at inaccuracies. Also all the hype didn’t help. If there’s a movie I really want to see and be honest I’ll try to avoid all trailers. First I learned of Dunkirk I think was at the last Spider-Man 3(?). I was so excited for it and then the bottom dropped out.

I don’t go to the movies a ton. I have a friend who gets to vote for either one award or one of the other ceremonies. I forget which. This time of year I can go see just about any of the nominated movies with him. Otherwise I’m lazy and wait for HBO.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three Billboards is a great movie - I saw it twice. Lady Bird was good, but it appeals to a more limited audience. I've seen the preview for The Weight of Water three times now and each time, I want to see the movie less.
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Every year it seems like the Oscars are more and more about Hollywood virtue signaling and less about movies. That could be one reason the Oscars ratings continue to slide.

No. It's been like that for a long time. After last year's criticism, they have to make up for not filling the quota for non-white nominations, even if it takes nominating a B--movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Perseus wrote:

No. It's been like that for a long time. After last year's criticism, they have to make up for not filling the quota for non-white nominations, even if it takes nominating a B--movie.

Wasn’t that last year ? I thought this year was women directors. Or maybe that will be fixed next year

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmom1 wrote:
Three Billboards is a great movie - I saw it twice. Lady Bird was good, but it appeals to a more limited audience. I've seen the preview for The Weight of Water three times now and each time, I want to see the movie less.

Saw Three Billboards yesterday, very good, liked Lady Bird and Shape of Water too. All were quality films.
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmom1 wrote:
I've seen the preview for The Weight of Water three times now and each time, I want to see the movie less.

funny, I get the same vibe from the preview. I'm wary after Pan's Labyrinth -- which was so inventive but crazy intense (like Tarantino meets Brothers Grimm). Would love to hear how others liked it.
Quote Reply
Re: Oscar nominations - have I failed or has Hollywood [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Ironmom1 wrote:
I've seen the preview for The Weight of Water three times now and each time, I want to see the movie less.

funny, I get the same vibe from the preview. I'm wary after Pan's Labyrinth -- which was so inventive but crazy intense (like Tarantino meets Brothers Grimm). Would love to hear how others liked it.

Like most of his films the visuals and artistry were the best part. Overall, I thought it was well done. Not best picture well done, but should be nominated. Some really good acting, the dialogue was good not great.

What I found lacking was the relationship between the mute woman and the creature. It wasn't really clear why she was in love with him. He didn't really seem to do anything to earn it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
So does my taste in movies just suck completely or has this been a weak year for movies?

I don't know, but I'd like to hear which movies the bellyachers think should have been nominated in place of those that were, given that apparently it's all politics when it comes to these nominations.

Not that I agree 100% with them usually, but I think by and large, the high quality stuff gets nominated and the less so gets ignored.

I say that as someone who is pretty picky about what I think is quality work and what isn't. There are a whole shit load of crappy movies made each year, some (many) of which are commercial successes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next