Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Denizens of the hospital.
Quote | Reply
Well I just had a two day taste of our vaunted Canadian health care system.

Had a sore stomach on Saturday, stayed home from work for a bit, The went to a local walkin clinic. They whisked me off to the hospital for an appendectomy. Feel like I have been punched repeatedly in the gut.

So I was in a shared hospital room (4beds). Ended up having to stay an extra night because my surgery got bumped for some major trauma cases.

Next to me was an older man who hiccuped, burped and farted all night long. All night long. Intermittent he would slip in a fuuuuuuuuuck or a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. His wife skipped a visit because she was "drinking again". Every time he went to the washroom he left shit smears on the goddam seat.

Across from me was a guy suffering from pancreatitis. He was brought in around 11pm and spent the rest of the night paging the nurse, demanding a fatal dose of heroin, a gun, or a knife do he could end it. Around four AM, I was voting for the heroin.

Then there was the other dude who was repeatedly rude to the nurses, continually complaining about his food portion sizing. Including telling a dietician "no fucking way this is enough calories for me". This wouldn't feed my cat.

What a miserable night. Plus I was on an IV so I had to pee on the hour.

Glad it didn't cost me anything. Otherwise I'd be pissed :)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the hospital. [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry man but that was funny. Take care.

Quote | Reply
I always chuckle when doctors recommend people stay in the hospital to get rest. Nobody can sleep in a hospital. I had an 8 day stay when I was younger and extremely ill. I couldnā€™t wait to leave just to get some sleep!

Hope youā€™re feeling better and get well quickly. Not getting a bill for $100,000 should help you heal. ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when my wife destroyed her acl, we went back to Qatar and sorted out surgery

anyway, an antiquated system they admit the night before, so we went and dropped her bag off and went out

anyway, they had stuck her in a female medical room with three dementia patients

next morning arrive to find her in a foul mood, a registrar arrives and says the operation is cancelled, the surgeon is travelling

she just completely loses her shit and says was he travelling last night, he says he'd been away a week, she says then why the f**k did no one stop me from spending the night.......she says I am not leaving the bed till you find someone to do it

he comes back with a name, we call our boss to find out if he's any good and it was done, but it was awful, but again cant complain as it was free............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the hospital wasn't the problem, so much as the fact that it was filled with Canadians.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were lucky. My son's burst right after Christmas. He had the operation and spent a week in the hospital. Got released and 6 days later was in so much pain he couldn't walk. Back to the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics. The nasty fluid collected in his pelvic floor. They went in thru his butt to install a drain. He has a bag attached that has to be cleaned and irrigated every 8 hours. Thankfully my wife is a nurse. He's at the house now for a week recovering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad your appendix didn't burst while you were waiting to have it out. That would have given you a few extra days with "the public"

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Had a sore stomach on Saturday, stayed home from work for a bit, The went to a local walkin clinic. They whisked me off to the hospital for an appendectomy. Feel like I have been punched repeatedly in the gut.

So I was in a shared hospital room (4beds). Ended up having to stay an extra night because my surgery got bumped for some major trauma cases.

Next to me was an older man who hiccuped, burped and farted all night long. All night long. Intermittent he would slip in a fuuuuuuuuuck or a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. His wife skipped a visit because she was "drinking again". Every time he went to the washroom he left shit smears on the goddam seat.

Across from me was a guy suffering from pancreatitis. He was brought in around 11pm and spent the rest of the night paging the nurse, demanding a fatal dose of heroin, a gun, or a knife do he could end it. Around four AM, I was voting for the heroin.

Then there was the other dude who was repeatedly rude to the nurses, continually complaining about his food portion sizing. Including telling a dietician "no fucking way this is enough calories for me". This wouldn't feed my cat.

Get better soon. I'm surprised you were there and didn't have a ton more TDS posts :o) After all not much to do while in a hospital bed besides watch TV and read. Heal up fast arch Nemesis!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am cracking up because your tales are much like the experience father used to have after surgery. I would spend hours in the rooms with him and heard some of the most degrading things said about women and the nurses. It was so bad that I would give the patients a piece of my mind so they recognized how wrong they were being. I usually got ā€œMaā€™am, I am sorry.ā€ Yeah, sorry to have been regulated.

Quote | Reply
People are stupid. Who do you think is going to get a quicker response when they press the call bell the guy who shows some appreciation or the one who bitches? Or when the next semi-private room comes up?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife works in a hospital, stories are endless. There is a lot of crap that the hospital staff has to deal with.

One of my wife's friends moved to Washington and took a job in a town that has a lot of drug issues. Only hospital they have ever seen that has an ambulatory ICU.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the hospital. [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m here in Washington (state- I hate that I feel the need to clarify that šŸ˜‚) and between the cold, the flu, and the drug problem, our hospitals are awful. I know several nurses and other medical professionals who work in our main two downtown hospitals, and boy do they have stories...
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the hospital. [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

Get better soon. I'm surprised you were there and didn't have a ton more TDS posts :o) After all not much to do while in a hospital bed besides watch TV and read. Heal up fast arch Nemesis!!

I appreciate the good wishes.

No TDS posts because, get this, no fucking wifi in the hospital. Unreal.

I tethered my iPad to my phone to watch Netflix and burned through all my data. Then I couldn't get through to anyone who could sell me more. Talk about first world problems.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only stay I've had in the hospital was four days after a nasty bike crash; roomie the first night was a drunk who had been in a car accident who stayed up all yelling for a nurse and every other slurred word out of his mouth was an F bomb or the C word; no surprise that they didn't respond right away, yet I had to stay awake and listen to it. The guy the next night was OK, third night was one of the cranky old guys from the Muppets who literally bitched non-stop about everything and anything.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the hospital. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roommates in the hospital kinda makes you wish you could hold a pillow over their face...until they tap out and agree to keep their mouth shut for the remainder of the night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you feel better.

I spent the night in the hospital about a month ago for chest pain. I kept falling asleep from boredom and I could hear myself snoring. I was snoring so loudly that I kept the woman next to me awake all night. I was in a hospital I work for and she got the private room. I left right after they transferred her so they did it for nothing.

I was a terrible roommate.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. Glad you're out.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just before I had my neck fusion done I had a really bad attack, sever pain in my left arm, I was checked in and put on the neurology floor in a semi private room, the Dr's do rounds in the morning and I over heard them talking to the gentleman and his wife beside me, he had an inoperable brain tumor and they were going over options, put alot of things into perspective I made sure to say hi and wish them the best on my way out. I still sometimes think about them.
Quote Reply