Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dan Gurney RIP
Quote | Reply
Arguably one of the best F1 drivers in his day to never win a championship. Also raced the old USAC and early Can-Am as well as being a major driver for Ford when they were taking on Ferrari in GT/sports car racing. I saw him race numerous times as a kid. In the mid sixties Car & Driver even ran a tongue in cheek "Dan Gurney for president" campaign.

http://autoweek.com/...cts-death-dan-gurney
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Gurney RIP [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should also ad that I took a candid photo of Dan standing next to his F1 car in the paddock at the 1966 British Grand Prix at Brand Hatch. Its probably in a box in my dad's attic or somewhere. As a 14 yr old I was way too shy to ask for an autograph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. Definitely one of the greats.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Gurney RIP [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

I saw him race in both North America and Europe and was one of my boyhood favorites. He had a reputation as a classy and modest guy. His dad was a professional opera singer from what I remember. The time in which he raced surely was the golden age of automobile racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Growing up I never missed the Indy 500, Bobby Unser in the Gurney Eagle was always tough to beat. Gurney was a true legend and will be missed. RIP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
The time in which he raced surely was the golden age of automobile racing.
Absolutely true from an American perspective. Gurney, A. J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti, could all win races in multiple formats. We won't see that again.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Travis R wrote:

I saw him race in both North America and Europe and was one of my boyhood favorites. He had a reputation as a classy and modest guy. His dad was a professional opera singer from what I remember. The time in which he raced surely was the golden age of automobile racing.

Dan was a bit before my time, but part of a fascinating era of racing history. Like you say, a golden age! Surviving that era is an accomplishment in itself.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Gurney RIP [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Absolutely true from an American perspective. Gurney, A. J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti, could all win races in multiple formats. We won't see that again.

Fernando Alonso is trying to win the Motorsport Triple Crown: Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans, Indy 500.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Gurney RIP [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Fernando Alonso is trying to win the Motorsport Triple Crown: Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans, Indy 500.

He hasn't done it yet, but you certainly have to appreciate his effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up 4 houses down from them, his two sons are my age and I still am close with them. Such an incredible person and family. He had a relentless pursuit of engineering perfection coupled with no regard for the design status quo. Some of my best memories were being shop rat kids checking out the endless number of motorcycles, getting to sit in every car imaginable. I even got to sit in that fabled #36 eagle from 67 Spa and get a pic with Dan on the cars going away party when it was sold. The stories were epic! Truly a different time..

Favorite was his account of nurburgring.. They were setting the car up for the *!*JUMP*!* on the main straight, cars were flying at 200mph and they needed to take off and land smoothly to maintain control. Unknowingly to Dan, one of the suspension guys changed the back springs for a different part of the course. Dan came roaring through the section and at the jump, the back kicked horrendously, causing the car to land badly and lose control. The car tank slapped back and forth coming to rest in the middle of the straight with a stalled engine. Knowing that if he simply jumps out of the car it almost assures a fatal crash for the following driver, he stayed with the car turning it over, and over and over. Sure enough, the roar of another car is coming through the forest unknowing that a stalled car is on the other side of the blind jump. Needless to say, Dan's car finally came to life and he was able to move it out of the way... UNREAL

Truly a sad day, RIP racer..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAMN.

I started following racing after the 69 Indy so I missed most of his time as a driver, but the things he did as an innovator and owner are simply amazing.

From Mario Andretti Mario Andretti‏Verified account @MarioAndretti 19h19 hours ago
RIP Dan Gurney. I was first inspired by him when I was in midgets dreaming of being like him. I was last inspired by him yesterday. Yes, I mean forever. He understood me better than anyone else, which is why he wrote the foreword for my book in 2001 #DanGurneyHasFinishedTheRace

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Dan Gurney RIP [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:

He's racing Daytona this month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best ever in any form of motorsport. His '67 Eagle Weslake remains, for me, the most beautiful F1 car ever designed.
Quote Reply