Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office
Quote | Reply
I dabble in a little Ebay entrepreneurship (in addition to a little house flipping, car selling, airline security doing, inflammatory articles writing and... hey; I really do have too much time on my hands -- or am schizophrenic, take your pick ;-), and I just noticed I'm getting that same sweetheart (supposedly sweetheart) deal USPS gives to Amazon when it ships the online retail behemoth's packages: $1.46 off the cost of a Priority Mail, 3-day, flat-rate box.

Which brings me to the whole USPS-Amazon relationship. It may not be the big deal some of us think, because package delivery -- even with the supposed "Amazon subsidy" -- is one of the few bright spots for USPS, and it actually makes them a decent profit (that, and international mail delivery).

As it turns, according to the linked piece, while Amazon does get a pretty decent deal from USPS it's actually nothing that should be considered jaw-dropping in terms of savings.

"Trump loves to attack Amazon and its founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, who also owns the Washington Post. Yet Amazon and the broader e-commerce sector aren’t what’s ailing the USPS. They just might be keeping it afloat.

Shipping and packages were a rare bright spot for USPS in 2017, one of two sub-categories of mail for which revenue increased, rather than declined. (The other was international mail.) The service shipped 11 billion pounds worth of packages, or 5.7 billion pieces, in the 2017 fiscal year, generating $19.5 billion in revenue.

That was 12% more revenue than packages made in the previous year, and $500 million more than even USPS expected, “due to e-commerce growth and the successful implementation of various marketing and sales campaigns,” it said in its annual report.
Revenue from shipping and packages is also on track to overtake sales from first-class mail (and it’s certainly not Amazon’s fault that no one sends letters anymore)."

First-class envelope deliveries are what's draining USPS of money, but the law requires the Post Office to keep delivery of them going, along with the infrastructure and post offices (favored by congresspersons everywhere) necessary to handle all those mailers and other junk mail along with First-class envelopes. They also can't charge more for them, either, not unless Congress approves a rise in the price of stamps yet again (and what are the chances of them doing that, especially to a price level that would actually cover the cost to move those letters?).

Also, if USPS maybe raised the price of package deliveries a bit to lessen that discount, it may make delivering Amazon packages attractive enough for Fedex and UPS to move in, offer a slightly lower price and then take business away from a reliable USPS profit center. I don't think Congress wants to see that either, which is probably part of the reason why our august representatives and senators aren't squawking too much about Jeff Bezos and his rapaciousness in holding poor little USPS hostage, right? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Also, if USPS maybe raised the price of package deliveries a bit to lessen that discount, it may make delivering Amazon packages attractive enough for Fedex and UPS to move in, offer a slightly lower price and then take business away from a reliable USPS profit center. I don't think Congress wants to see that either, which is probably part of the reason why our august representatives and senators aren't squawking too much about Jeff Bezos and his rapaciousness in holding poor little USPS hostage, right? ;-)

Nearly all my Amazon packages come via UPS. Very, very rarely do they come via USPS. Since the huge Amazon distribution center opened down the road in Kenosha, WI, a few come via Amazon delivery.

EDIT TO ADD:

Amazon Prime shipping packages are mostly shipped via UPS. In case of destinations not served by UPS, alternate carries like FedEx/DHL are used. If the estimated delivery date falls on a Saturday, then it is very likely that the package will be shipped via FedEx as UPS doesn't deliver it on Saturdays.

- Via FAQ section

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 4, 18 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Nearly all my Amazon packages come via UPS. Very, very rarely do they come via USPS. Since the huge Amazon distribution center opened down the road in Kenosha, WI, a few come via Amazon delivery.

EDIT TO ADD:

Amazon Prime shipping packages are mostly shipped via UPS. In case of destinations not served by UPS, alternate carries like FedEx/DHL are used. If the estimated delivery date falls on a Saturday, then it is very likely that the package will be shipped via FedEx as UPS doesn't deliver it on Saturdays.

- Via FAQ section

Most of my Prime packages come via a Lyft driver or UPS. I've never had one via Fedex and only a couple via USPS. Maybe Amazon sends its non-Prime stuff via USPS? They must ship a lot, though, given the money cited (and not nearly all of it from Amazon anyway, admittedly).

Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that there is no big cost break for Amazon.
What's more - the federal monopolies most national postal services have is a barrier to business. Imagine if the monopoly of first class mail was lifted and FedEx could also deliver mail. two things would happen - 1) they would expand their network even further to take advantage of a business opportunity 2) USPS would have to compete in an open market, reducing the cost of doing business for American companies and small businesses.

If the Donald could see past his petty little vendettas against people who aren't sycophants, he would see that the right fight is to remove the USPS monopoly and allow the market to regulate the costs.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...eges/article/2644638

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Canada parcel delivery is what is keeping post office afloat.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Lol like this has anything to do with deliveries. This is just Trump trying to attack Bezos over the WaPo.

Really??? Ya think? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of ours from Prime come through UPS, but we receive a lot through USPS, I'd estimate 35-40%. If it's a larger package, almost certainly UPS. Something smaller and flexible, usually USPS. We also receive many that start with UPS but are handed off to USPS for final delivery (UPS SurePost or something like that if I recall correctly). Some of those are Prime packages, but some are just handled that way by the merchant. Banana Republic and some of the random places my wife purchases from consistently ship that way.
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhat related, Amazon Air is in the process of taking over a significant chunk of Cincinnati (CVG) airport after Delta's departure some years back. It wouldn't surprise me that in addition to Air Cargo, they will someday compete with the major airlines. As for the USPS, I recall reading they could never be competitive given the enormous pension liability. I see them going the way of the horse and buggy. Most of what is put in my mailbox goes straight to the recycle bin.

---------------------------
When I die, I'd like to go peacefully. In my sleep. Like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A question I would like the answer to, is incoming international mail. Something that costs me to ship across the street is nearly $3, just for postage, 1st class package, yet if I order same product from China, I can have it delivered to my door for 99 cents, total!!

Anyone want. A good deal on fishnet stockings?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
A question I would like the answer to, is incoming international mail. Something that costs me to ship across the street is nearly $3, just for postage, 1st class package, yet if I order same product from China, I can have it delivered to my door for 99 cents, total!!

What a man does in the privacy of his own home is his lookout, and not mine. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one throws me for a loop as well. Had to order a cable adapter a few weeks ago, ordered through Newegg, thought it would be shipped from the U.S., 3 weeks later it arrives from China, shipped and still for a lower price than any other company I shopped. Yet it's going to cost $30+ to ship if I want to send our Aussie relatives a T-shirt for Christmas and some photos. The only thing I can figure is that USPS has these handshake deals with other international postal services, taking the package for delivery from the time it hits customs; China's rate for outgoing international postage may be ridiculously low and subsidized in part by their government as a means of pushing more exports out the borders and overseas, a sort of veiled currency manipulation tactic that we encourage by purchasing more crap from their factories.

CruseVegas wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

What a man does in the privacy of his own home is his lookout, and not mine. ;-)

It's difficult to honestly say, what one will or won't like if you don't actually give it a try. :)

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we're pretty close to robots making deliveries. Cutting Amazon off will only hasten that future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my packages come by usps. About 85%

When i used to ship to amazon warehouses for my business, i shipped solely through ups because amazon has a crazy deal with them for fullfillment partners.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [graveling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<Most of what is put in my mailbox goes straight to the recycle bin.>>

Marketing mail brings in $18B per year for them, roughly a quarter of their revenue - see page 3 of the USPS' own fact sheet. More and more they seem to be a service provider for a few dozen major mailers of the kind of stuff that typically ends up in the recycling bin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of mine lately have been coming from Amazon themselves. I actually worked part-time for UPS between Thanksgiving and Christmas making deliveries from a golf cart with a big box strapped to the back of it. While I did deliver my share of Amazon packages, there were also white sprinter vans running around making deliveries for Amazon as well.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Most of my packages come by usps. About 85%

Same here but I also live in the same metro area as this guy. The prime packages being shipped via USPS seemed to start once the distribution warehouse opened up south of Minneapolis.

I noticed most if not all of my packages delivered via traditional prime were via USPS if it was directly through Amazon. A few recently were through Amazon couriers (suspected this was to aid extra volume of the holiday season). If the item is Prime eligible from a 3rd party seller and/or fulfilled by Amazon item those would come via UPS if the package was bigger than a mailbox could fit (anything smaller they'd sometimes come via USPS).

All my subscribe & save items will go via UPS though. But, I don't think I've ever had a Amazon package delivered via FedEx though (or if it was it's been a long time and don't recall).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 4, 18 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that shakopee warehouse has really changed things! There is another by the u of m that handles prime now orders. I use it quite a bit, if you havent, its nice!

Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only used Prime Now 1 time. That was last winter when we were out of diapers and didn't want to venture outside on a cold day (kind of like we've been having). Worth it to not have to leave the house. Normally these items for some reason on Prime Now are not a good price for the smallest pack of diapers but I had a coupon and needed just enough to make it to my subscribe and save order for the bulk diapers coming in a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: I Get The Same Deal Amazon Gets From the Post Office [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time i used prime now was when we had an impromptu poker night. i ordered all kinds of snacks and liquor and set up as i waited for delivery. Ive been in love with it ever since!

Quote Reply