Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Last last normal gym day for 6 weeks [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The start of my "gym season" happened to coincide with the resolution day crowd yesterday. Perhaps some folks are delayed in their start, or just procrastinating to the evening, but my gym was unusually quiet; not just for resolution day, but for a typical winter weekday. It was rather pleasant.

There were plenty of gone-by-February types, but it was quiet enough that their lounging on the equipment, checking their phones, really wasn't an issue for anyone else. Today may be a different story, but the sun's out and it will be above 0F, so I won't be there.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Last last normal gym day for 6 weeks [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
fitness classes and cardio equipment
we had a couple newbies - few enough that I was happy for them to be getting in shape
Few more in the weight room this afternoon, but some are kids home from college, maybe 3 were newcomers.
But the great news is they moved the water aerobics class a bit later so it isn't the same time as Master's swim, so more lanes for us. Win.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Last last normal gym day for 6 weeks [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
Used to be that way, but for the last 10 years or so at 2 different gyms, there's a lot more cars in the parking lot in January but don't see more than a handful of new folks in the weight room. Don't know where they go. Spin? Zumba? Lounge area?

Chose to go to the gym after work yesterday, vs. trying to run outside. Mid-20s temp could have been fine, if I'd bundled up, but I wanted to check the Resolutionary status

First good sign was that the parking lot had a few spots open near the front door. In year's past, I'd be parking near the back of the building for a while

I said hello to the desk girl, who I hadn't seen in a while [Wednesday is not a gym night for me, regularly]

The locker room was moderately busy, and someone had already claimed "my locker"

One newbie in her 60s what getting her preliminary check-out by a club trainer. The trainer put her on the treadmill next to me and told her to "just walk casually" for a couple minutes, to check her stride and range of motion, I guess?

When her trainer said that I said "Yeah, don't do what I'm doing" as I chugged along close to race pace

"Oh, I couldn't possibly" she replied, smiling cheerfully "You're a trained professional. A lean machine"

That made me feel good [although I was having a pretty sucky time of it, right then]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next