Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ...
Quote | Reply
Got my hands on the Hudson H9. In case you have been living under a rock, this is the "revolutionary" handgun the world has been waiting for. The Hudson H9 answers the question I know you have been asking - what would a striker fired, 9mm 1911 feel like? Well, here it is:

Yep, it looks like something from RoboCop. Futuristic? You bet. Functional? Well, let's see ...

First, let's talk about weight. This baby is all metal. That said, it isn't an anchor. By way of comparrison:

Glock 17: 22 ounces
H9: 34 ounces
1911: 39-40 ounces

So, you are talking lighter than a "standard" 1911, but more than the plastic Glock. It feels "solid," but not heavy. In fact, it feels good. I mean REALLY good! It is just a solid feeling firearm. Smooth. Solid. There is no rattle in this baby. Everything is as tight and smooth as a custom 1911. It really feels good.

I tried to appendix carry this thing. Ain't gonna happen! Then again, I cannot IWB a 1911, so, I'm not doing it with this either. OWB carry with a good gun belt was a joy. Slightly lighter than my 1911, which is nice. It feels good. Carries well.

Now, let's talk about that trigger. Here is where this baby REALLY shines. As you can see, it is a 1911 style trigger, but with a trigger dingus similar to the trigger safety on the Glock. Hudson says the trigger breaks at 4.5-5 lbs. Mine was pretty consistent at 4.2 lbs. It is like breaking glass! And, the reset is hard to believe. So minimal. So crisp! My only criticism is the looooooooong pull on the trigger dingus. The pull on the dingus is about 3-4 times the pull on the trigger. Once I got used to it, it was not an issue. With a minimal reset, you never need to engage the dingus for a follow up shot. Just keep it engaged.

Let's talk about the grip angle. The H9 has the same basic geometry as the 1911. That means, if you have an issue with the Glock hand grip angle, you will like this. If you like the grip angle of the 1911, you will LOVE this. It is very natural pointing. They got this right.

The thing looks bigger than it is. Here is a comparison with a Glock 17:

Here is the Glock 17 on top of the H9. You can see it covers the entire H9:

Here it is with a Robert Defense 1911:

Here is the H9 on top of the 1911:

So, how did she shoot? I took her to the range and used 12x18 splatter targets at 24 feet:

All the reviews say this gun "shoots flat." Well, that is how it was designed. If you look at the H9 vs the Glock and the 1911, you will see the slide is "lower profile." The recoil spring sits in the frame, not the slide, right behind the large dust cover under the barrel. This lowers the center of gravity and pushes the recoil directly back, reducing muzzle rise.

Did it live up to the hype? Kinda ... It is a heavier gun, so it should have less recoil than, say, the Glock 17 (and certainly the Glock 19). I liked how it stayed on target, but, to be honest, I was not as blown away as most of the reviews. Yes, it fires flat. Is it mind-blowing? Ah, no. But, it is very nice.

Here is where it shined for me - I do "double tap drills," where I put one center of mass and one in the head. Well, follow-up shots were simply incredible. With the low recoil, I was able to get it up to the head and get the second shot off. I fired a total of 45 rounds and nearly every show was in the red on the body and head. I shot well in this drill.

But, where it failed - precision shooting. The H9 has a standard black rear sight and a Trijicon HD front sight. The front site is big and bright and meant to be a defensive sight. So, I could find it quickly and hit center mass. But, it blocked out a lot of the target. So, when I tried to hit those two circles on the top, I fell very short. I just could not see the center at all.

This baby retails for $1,147, IF you can find it. I was told this is the only one in Wisconsin. I cannot confirm that. So, is it "worth" it?

Well, it is as thin as a typical 1911, but has a double-stack 15 round mag. It really is hard to believe this is a double-stack b/c it feel thin:

Here is another knock - the mags are a bitch to load! Seriously, what the hell??? They hold 15 rounds, but getting that 14th round in was impossible until I dumped 200 rounds through her. You are almost required to use a mag loader b/c it is so tight. Also, the top round must be seated perfectly. If not, you will get a failure to feed on the first round. That happened to me 4 times at the range. Once I figured how to make certain the top round was properly seated, I had no further issue. But, dropping the mag and speed loading a second caused it to happen once. Not good if your life depended on it.

I used 50 rounds of good ammo, then 450 rounds of utter garbage. She ate it all. Not a single malfunction (other than mentioned above).

Overall - I really, really like this gun! Do I $1200 like it? Well ... That's pricey. But, it is a damn fun gun. Really a lot of great things going on here. It gets a lot of attention at the range. It is a fun conversation piece.

More than anything - I am excited to see someone finally coming out with innovation. The Hudsons are a young-ish couple who asked why there was nothing like this on the market, then did something about it. I am excited to see what they come up with next.

Link here: https://www.hudsonmfg.com/product/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you have such cheap looking counter tops?
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Why do you have such cheap looking counter tops?

Because I took the pics on a cheap counter top.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, it is a very different looking piece.

On the mags, if it hold 15, you shouldn't run more than 14 in them, sounds like in your case, maybe only 13? When the spring is compressed that much it can make seating the mag harder and in a self defensive reload, emergency or tactical it, well, could be a bad situation.

Sounds like they did a lot of things right on this. Thanks for sharing.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I'm very jealous.

2) You missed your target.

I love the H9 concept, especially for shooting games. I hope it proves reliable and the company succeeds.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that initial failure to feed with 15, 14, and even 13 rounds in the mag. Most of the time, I just loaded 14 b/c that 15th was so hard to load. I originally thought it was the spring pressure, but, I was able to replicate it with only 3 rounds in the mag.

I never had a failure to feed once the first round was in the chamber. So, I concluded it had to be the first round not being seated properly. I concluded that after I was able to replicate it one time with only 3 rounds in the mag. I also experienced this with more than 1 mag, so, it wasn't a defect in a single mag.

The H9 ships with 3 mags.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the price will come down in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who are you lookin' to be killing?
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
It's very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the price will come down in the future.

Rumor is they are contemplating a second version in 45 acp. But, I think that is way off. If you look at where the safety would be on a 1911, you will see a small square that looks like it is removable. It is. They are making a manual safety that will be able to be installed in that slot. They are also making a threaded barrel. So, they have plans to add on to the H9, which will keep them busy at least through 2018. I wouldn't expect a price drop until Gen 2 is released. But, I am sure it will all depend on sales volume. They can get $1200 now b/c it is new and limited in number. But, I would not expect that to continue after the newness factor dies down.

Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
who are you lookin' to be killing?

Zombies. Rule #2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I had that initial failure to feed with 15, 14, and even 13 rounds in the mag. Most of the time, I just loaded 14 b/c that 15th was so hard to load. I originally thought it was the spring pressure, but, I was able to replicate it with only 3 rounds in the mag.

I never had a failure to feed once the first round was in the chamber. So, I concluded it had to be the first round not being seated properly. I concluded that after I was able to replicate it one time with only 3 rounds in the mag. I also experienced this with more than 1 mag, so, it wasn't a defect in a single mag.

Thanks for the updated info. That's odd it would have difficulty feeding when the chamber is empty or you're manually racking/releasing the slide. Did you try it with different types of ammo? No issues if the round was completely seated back in the mag?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
JSA wrote:

Thanks for the updated info. That's odd it would have difficulty feeding when the chamber is empty or you're manually racking/releasing the slide. Did you try it with different types of ammo? No issues if the round was completely seated back in the mag?

Yep. Different ammo. I did a little google sleuthing and found a review where the guy had the same issue. Apparently, Hudson is aware and is looking at tweaking the mag design.

Once I figured out the issue, I spent more time checking that the first round was properly seated and did not have the problem again.

This thing is really tight, like a custom 1911. With that level of "precision," when one thing is off, you get issues. Goes back to the old argument against carrying a 1911 for personal protection. It certainly does not have the "slop" of the Glock. That "slop" make the Glock run damn near flawlessly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool!

I've followed the H9's development for a while and think it has a compelling collection of design details that really nobody else offers -- metal-frame, 1911-like trigger, striker-fire w/o needing a thumb safety, very low bore axis, etc.

Information on the trigger/safety mechanism is scarce, though. Does it have a striker block safety, or just the trigger dingus?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Very cool!

I've followed the H9's development for a while and think it has a compelling collection of design details that really nobody else offers -- metal-frame, 1911-like trigger, striker-fire w/o needing a thumb safety, very low bore axis, etc.

Information on the trigger/safety mechanism is scarce, though. Does it have a striker block safety, or just the trigger dingus?

Thanks.

It has a striker block safety similar to a Glock. See the pics below. This is after 500 rounds, so please excuse the gunk. She is clean now. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting and thanks for posting this

I can see the "glock" ness looking at the internals on your last set of pics but they do have more going on in there than the tupperware pistols.

I prefer a hammer fired pistol myself but fully admit to using a couple of glocks i own for USPSA competitions (a 17 and a 34 i've moded just enough to stay in production category). But for a every day carry gun i had to bet my life on i want one with a hammer.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yep, it looks like something from RoboCop. Futuristic?

It looks like Marmaduke...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Thanks.

AFAIK, that's the only pic of the slide internals anywhere on the interwebs...

Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
...But for a every day carry gun i had to bet my life on i want one with a hammer.

Just curious why you prefer hammer-fired when it counts. External safeties? Double strike capability? Safer reholstering?

And, to expand a bit, do you prefer SA/DA (a la Sig, Beretta, CZ, etc.) or SA 1911 style?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure

I prefer the tactile ability to see/feel/manipulate [if required] the hammer. I also think the trigger mechanism is crisper on the more nicely made hammer fire guns. It's just a think. Glocks and their ilk work just fine. They just work. But to me they have no soul, no personality, and there is a sense of sloppiness somehow built into that "they just always work" bullshit. Don't know if that makes any sense to you. I certainly use my two glocks without compunction in USPSA competitions. Howsoever, I am going to start shooting my HK in the personal defense category the next time i do down to Tampa and shoot with my SF buddy.

Again

I AM NO EXPERT. I just use the tools

For carry if it's cold out and clothing allows it I carry a Kimber 1911 .45 cal Custom TL/RL2 with a light on it--outside waistband strong side. With two spare mags

When i can't carry the big pistol i carry a 9mm HK P2000SK (which is kind of a spendy little pistol) that is totally reliable and gives you second strike capability on a cartridge should you get a misfire. I again carry the HK and two spare mags.

all of the above are loaded with Gold Dot +P ammo and i practice shooting the same ammo each month. Easy to do out on a farm--that could be more onerous when you live in a city and have to travel to a range and pay for range time.

This is just like my opinion man! hehe

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Hudson H9 - A 1911 Glock? Maybe ... [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good insights. I don't know much about the HK P2000's. They look like interesting pistols.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like all things HK they are very well engineered and $$$

my version has a full exposed hammer and what HK calls a LEM trigger which makes the first trigger pull (should you choose to so DA) very hard to pull. It's a safety feature i personally like. If i had time to cock the hammer to fire it off single action then i probably have time to run away from the situation to begin with which would always be the better decision.

The thing i hate about the HK are the magazines are just insanely over priced. But I've a friend who works in the HK factory down in Columbus, GA and she got me three extra mags for my P2000SK so now I have enough mags to participate in the personal defense pistol competition next time I am down at TAMPA..

/r

Steve
Quote Reply