Quote | Reply
Current list:

The Story of Britain: from the romans to the present
Tribe of Mentors (Tim Ferris)
The Four (Scott Galloway)
Quote Reply
Re: What book did you get for Xmas........ [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MIL finished the latest Le Carré and sent it along - A Legacy of Spies. So far I like it; he's one of my favorite authors.
Quote Reply
Re: What book did you get for Xmas........ [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished listening to that on audible. It was narrated by Tom Hollander who played corky in the night manager........it was excellent and he was the right person to read it.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It wasn’t for Christmas, but it knocked me on my ass recently – – if you are into an existential, human experience story that is not about plot but is about strong character development, you should check out Enon by Paul Harding. It’s a heartbreaking read, but beautifully written.

An older but great novel — Blindness by Jose Saramago. His writing style isn’t for everyone, lacking punctuation and “paragraphs” that seem not to end or confusing character dialogue. However, he’s an extremely satisfying writer If you’re willing to put the work in.

Joan Didion’s A Year of Magical Thinking was a fantastic account of the grieving process. I like how she dealt with time as both past and living back in an influential present, memories of the deceased being relived and revealed anew.

Tim O’Brien’s account of the Vietnam war, The Things They Carried, is not new but is a must read if you’ve not picked it up. Boys who had to be men but knew only to be boys making mature decisions. I aches for the decisions they had to make, agonized knowing it’s going to keep happening in new places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barbarian Days
Last edited by: kiki: Dec 28, 17 23:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 100 year old man who combed out the window and disappeared by Jonas jonasson.

Good omens by terry Pritchett and Neil gaiman.

This year the wife went with off beat comedies. Looking forward to reading both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Second World Wars - Victor David Hanson

I love to read first hand accounts of WW2 battles, this one is very different but so far so good. Far more detailed in policy ideas and technical standards than usual first oerson account books.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ICU Book, 4th edition, Kindle version.

It's a real page turner.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What book did you get for Xmas........ [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LeCarre is always a good read.

Didn't get them for Christmas, but shortly before, I'm reading the Lensman series by E.E. Smith from the late 40s and 50s. It's really interesting to read from a cultural perspective, because many of the concepts are pure sci-fi, but the writing style and cultural norms are very much from a different time.

For Christmas, unfortunately, I got a bunch of books on how to learn Japanese. Not really fun reading.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two books received under the tree.
Food Lab
The genius of Birds

But is am reading, Cod

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Audible got new stieg Larsen whoever wrote that

It's not as good as the first three :-( I got a box set of the first 3 with a bonus book of his email correspondence w the publisher and some essays by people who knew him. Very cool.

I also got David Sedaris' new book

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply