Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Downhill skiing in -10F
Quote | Reply
I just cancelled a 2 day ski trip in VT which was supposed to start tomorrow. Summit temps -5 to -15 before wind chill and it'll be windy.

Smart move or snowflake?
Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
it'll be windy.

Meaning it'll be a good time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart. I had stopped skiing when I was forced to move somewhere flat a few years back. But for around 20 years or so... I would be skiing everyday the mountain was open... except those frigid days. Takes the fun out of it. 15 degrees I'd go.... 0 or negative...pass.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say smart move. 15 is my limit for a non-powder day. I don’t enjoy skiing below that and it’s supposed to be a fun hobby.

I also have a season pass so can go for a few hours and not feel bad about what it cost.

That said I have the access that if I skip one weekend I can just go the next one.

I also have a child and the whine factor below 20 is exponential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart move. I find skiing in the intense cold too difficult. The weather can take all the fun out of skiing.

I skipped heading to my place in Bridgton ME this week because of the cold. The temps and wind chill are just too much for this old body. My teenage son was disappointed, though. Maybe MLK weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart. That's brutal. You get too "brittle" at that point. Besides being painful, you lose flexibility and are more likely to get a "stupid" injury.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you lose any $$$?

Skied in Maine yesterday, +/- 9 degrees with some wind and will go this weekend similar temperatures. We have season passes so we may call it a day shortly after lunch, but snow conditions, not temperature primarily dictate whether we ski. In fact, I think I preferred skiing yesterday with cold and marginal crowds much better than I would have on a 30 degree day with it packed. We take a short break every 90 minutes or so and Sunday River has a lift with Gondala style cabins that we use much more when its cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on snow conditions. Smart move if snow is marginal. I have skied at -25F when snow was great. It's just a matter of dressing appropriately. I find it best to do the first couple runs on a challenging bump run. That will generate heat. Then do whatever you want.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart. Feeling really good today because we didn't book lift tickets and accomodation this year at Mt. Tremblant.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
It depends on snow conditions. Smart move if snow is marginal. I have skied at -25F when snow was great. It's just a matter of dressing appropriately. I find it best to do the first couple runs on a challenging bump run. That will generate heat. Then do whatever you want.

This is how I look at it too. I've been to Banff multiple times where there were negative temps. The snowboarding was great because the snow was awesome. The lift ride back to the top of the hill was not so great. But, I dressed for the conditions, used some of those little hand and boot warmers, and enjoyed the powder with empty slopes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart. Have skied in those temperatures and it just takes the fun out of it. It is the only time I can ever remember having cold feet and we would go to the lodge every hour and half just to thaw out.

Of course if it was a huge powder day, that could change my perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss living in Maine and being able to make day trips. For us, its more the wind. If its -10 but no wind you can bundle up enough to enjoy. Meanwhile, back in Nashville, its chilly, 26 degrees was hoping to play some golf over the holidays but no 50 degree days in sight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say smart.

I skied Mt Tremblant once in -32 and it was brutal.

Last year in Breck it was about 10 and it was fine. Any colder and I would pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're going up to VT on Saturday. It's not the best when it's that cold but I find if I'm bundled up enough and take frequent breaks when cold, it's not too bad. Plus the elec foot warmers I bought a couple of years ago are awesome and keep the toes from freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I just cancelled a 2 day ski trip in VT which was supposed to start tomorrow. Summit temps -5 to -15 before wind chill and it'll be windy.

Smart move or snowflake?

Good call.

Just got back from x-country skiing in -12 C (-20 F) and it was quite cold, but at least you're working and keeping warm. Downhill is an entirely different story. Went to Mount Tremblant one year and we ended up sitting in the bar most of the trip since it was too cold to ski.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son and I went skiing last night. We got new skis and wanted to try them out. We had a great time. About 300km north west of VT. The secret is to dress for the weather.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
-12 C (-20 F)

Your conversion is wrong

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snowflake!! Suck it up princess! Dress for it and take breaks!😜😜

Just kidding - sort of. I've had some amazing days in the brutal cold, and more than one, 1 and done days too.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Downhill skiing in -10F [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made the right choice. -10 at the base and -20 at the summit. 10-40 mph winds.

I didn’t lose any money because my tickets are good for any days of the year, but I miss a chance to ski with my brother in law. He has the mountain collective pass which is good for 2 days at a bunch of resorts. He misses out on his 2 days at the only eastern resort part of that pass. Bummer but I’m warm right now and took my daughter skating for the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart move or snowflake?

Everyone has to make their own decision on this.

I've nordic skied and alpine skied in conditions like that - but that was years ago when I was decidedly more hardcore and gung-ho about things.

As someone else mentioned, snow conditions can be a factor. If it's fresh snow, sunny with little wind, it can be a very good day to ski. But if the snow conditions are shitty, or it's windy and wind-chills and possibly frost-bite then, you have to ask yourself, why go?

I know for nordic, the glide starts to get really slow, at these cold conditions and colder, and unless you have dedicated skis for this cold, and with some expensive and exotic wax, and time consuming prep for the skis, it's a bit of a slog out on the snow.

For alpine skiing, to ski in those really cold conditions, you to really think your apparel choices over and have the right gear - the simple solution of just piling on as much as you had would really restrict range of motion and flexibility - two key things for high performance and enjoyable alpine skiing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 28, 17 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just strapped my xc skis to the Volvo..headed North...while wife shops , I ‘ll hit the woods

sometimes
Quote Reply