Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, heating with wood gets better as the temp goes down. Just keep the fire roaring so it burns almost everything away and the smoke rises and dissipates better in the cold air it seems. We used a wood boiler, so the hot water radiators heat well, but the extra bump of radiant heat when you keep the boiler firing hard is a nice touch too. Heck, sometimes we would open the windows just a crack if it got a bit too warm in a room (usually the rooms next to the chimney).

At least when we get the really cold stuff it is usually just over night and only for a day or two. Pretty easy to deal with in extremely small doses.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank god for Global Warming, Climate Change or what ever it's called this year, Indiana would be really cold, as the forecast is showing, highs in the 10's F for the next 10 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Propane in particular gets to be a real pain around -40 if your tank is outside. Propane's boiling point is -44F, so as you approach that temp your propane appliances sloooooow way down, and then completely stop working. My standard practice when we had a propane range was to put the tank right up against the house, cover it with a cardboard box, and then shovel lots of snow over it. The insulation of the snow was enough to keep the propane warm (enough). Of course when the tank was empty it took an archaeological dig to find it again, hopefully without putting a shovel through the propane line.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to get that cold here anymore! I don't miss it, that's for sure.

Grateful that it rarely goes below -10 around here and I don't have to deal with any of that. I kind of like it when it gets this cold. The snow isn't all slushy and gross and has some traction. The sky becomes crystal clear. Things are quieter, the cats are friendlier. The beer stays cold in the garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking the weather and another day in the 30s here in Alabama.

Quote:
The thermostats were indeed off, yet it was warm enough in Savannah, GA that the house temp was 70deg.

Looks like Savannah is running about 5-10 degrees warmer than Birmingham and Atlanta. But still cold. What is the house temp now, or what was it when you got home?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was in the 30's when I woke up too in northern MN. Well, -34, but you get the idea. Don't think we hit -30 last winter so this is a bit more normal. A few nights with lows below -30 and highs that do not get above zero. But, it is almost always extremely sunny with few clouds on those days so we get that bonus!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears that the quoting may have gotten a bit mixed up. I think you meant to reply to RangerGress since he's in GA.

But my house is working hard to maintain a toasty 68, compared to the 9 degrees outside, so cold that the snow makes a crunching sound under the weight of your boot. However, the sun is shining, with the refractions on the snow giving the appearance of little crystals sprinkled throughout the yard. It's beautiful through the window, perhaps beautiful outside for me if I brave going out to snowshoe in the peak of the day's sun.

H- wrote:
Checking the weather and another day in the 30s here in Alabama.

Quote:
The thermostats were indeed off, yet it was warm enough in Savannah, GA that the house temp was 70deg.

Looks like Savannah is running about 5-10 degrees warmer than Birmingham and Atlanta. But still cold. What is the house temp now, or what was it when you got home?
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I should have moved there about 20 years ago.

It feels like the whole of Ontario is currently trying to move here now!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Going into the Deep Freeze [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Always room in Savannah for a few more of you Yankees. It's good for our property values.

I disagree. Yankees stopped adding value around 1990. Now they just want the South to be southern New England. đŸ˜€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It appears that the quoting may have gotten a bit mixed up.

I must disagree. I am the only one who was mixed up. Rushing around this morning and even wondering when you had moved to Savannah. Duh. Pardon me. Yes RG is to whom I needed to reply.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I look out my window right now, I wish that I had moved to Savannah. And when I remember that my mother in law is picking up the kids for a sleepover tonight and I can both go out for drinks and then still come home to a quiet home & settle in with a book, I'm glad to be right here. Now to decide which book to start & finish tonight.

H- wrote:
I must disagree. I am the only one who was mixed up. Rushing around this morning and even wondering when you had moved to Savannah. Duh. Pardon me. Yes RG is to whom I needed to reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
When I look out my window right now, I wish that I had moved to Savannah. And when I remember that my mother in law is picking up the kids for a sleepover tonight and I can both go out for drinks and then still come home to a quiet home & settle in with a book, I'm glad to be right here. Now to decide which book to start & finish tonight.

H- wrote:

How about bringing a nice little present to the MIL to show your . . . .

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic suggestion! I just dropped a thank you card in the mail for her, but it would be a great idea to bring her a little treat when we pick up the kids tomorrow. Perhaps I'll use the Instant Pot she gave us for Christmas (which is friggin' awesome, by the way!) to make a little treat and show thanks for how much I appreciate the thing.

And if there's a subtle advertisement for Instant Pot in there, it's because the thing is awesome. Holy crap, I forgot how much I missed having an electric pressure cooker and this one is far better than the one I broke a few years ago.

H- wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

H- wrote:

How about bringing a nice little present to the MIL to show your . . . .
Quote Reply

Prev Next