Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf?
Quote | Reply
what kind of pansies have our sailors become?

https://www.navytimes.com/...ors-who-failed-test/

not just here but the lowering of the bar across so much of society just amazes me. have people lost pride in themselves?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

not just here but the lowering of the bar across so much of society just amazes me. have people lost pride in themselves?

This isn’t a new phenomenon, believe me. Back in the mid-1980s when I was a first-class petty officer I was the command fitness coordinator and administered the physical fitness test that we gave our sailors twice a year. I’m not lying when I say that we probably cut a bunch of sailors and officers breaks when it came to the timed run or the push-ups or sit ups. A number of others, who just failed far too badly to cover for, we put on remedial fitness programs and I can remember sending a few to the fat boy farm.

I don’t know about this large a number of sailors not passing their PFT, because that is a significant number. But you know what the armed services say about the Navy and Air Force when it comes to physical fitness. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Madduck wrote:

I don’t know about this large a number of sailors not passing their PFT, because that is a significant number. But you know what the armed services say about the Navy and Air Force when it comes to physical fitness. ;-)

actually i dont. i just know the marines i fly with usually mention something about your mascot being a goat. :-p

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Madduck wrote:

actually i dont. i just know the marines i fly with usually mention something about your mascot being a goat. :-p

Dude, they are out to sea for a long f'n time, give em a break, at least they aren't assaulting the womens.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

The number seems high. I don’t think over ever been at a command with 15% failures on the fitness tests.

That said, our fitness test is kind of sad, and doesn’t really measure any kind of fitness related to the job. And it’s been getting more lax over the past several years, I assume for retention reasons.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cultural thing. In the Marines, fitness is part of the culture. In the Army, fitness is not part of the culture. Excepting the Army's elite units, of course, but they are a tiny fraction of the whole.

I noted the other week that the Army's new uniform is going to have a waist belt like the Marines always had. There were those of us Army types that long pondered what impact a waist belt on the Class A uniform would have on promotions. Because with a waist belt, if you're fat, it's a lot more obvious in your promotion packet pic.

In the Marines, our PT score was a big deal in the calculation of enlisted promotions. If your PT score wasn't really good, you had little chance at a promotion. In the Army, it's really just a matter of "passing" the PT test. You could be dead and still pass the Army PT test.

So when you hear talk from Army leaders re. women in combat roles and how the women often pass the same fitness standards as the men, remember those words. Until you've actually been cremated, you could probably pass the test after death.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Dec 22, 17 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Stop insulting pansies!
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Cultural thing. In the Marines, fitness is part of the culture. In the Army, fitness is not part of the culture. Excepting the Army's elite units, of course, but they are a tiny fraction of the whole.

I noted the other week that the Army's new uniform is going to have a waist belt like the Marines always had. There were those of us Army types that long pondered what impact a waist belt on the Class A uniform would have on promotions. Because with a waist belt, if you're fat, it's a lot more obvious in your promotion packet pic.

In the Marines, our PT score was a big deal in the calculation of enlisted promotions. If your PT score wasn't really good, you had little chance at a promotion. In the Army, it's really just a matter of "passing" the PT test. You could be dead and still pass the Army PT test.

So when you hear talk form Army leaders re. women in combat roles and how the women often pass the same fitness standards as the men, remember those words. Until you've actually been cremated, you could probably pass the test after death.

My National Guard wife says the same thing you do about the APFT, by the way. She's always been fit and she laughs at the event. First, the weigh-in and then the event.

I spent a lot of my Navy career with the Marine Corps -- first as a line Hospital Corpsman in a couple of infantry units and then (lotta backdoor bragging here, so stand by heh ;-), later, as what the Navy called a "special operations technician" (HM-8492 NEC, and a ballbuster of a training course) serving with Recon (swift, silent, deadly baby). I always went Marine Corps standards, whether enlisted or officer, as well. I was always a 20/80/18-minute (sub-18) man, including right up to the month before I retired (did the Navy PFT right after the Marine Corps PFT, too, and went 7:18 for the 1.5-mile run portion, embarrassing a lot of young Navy HMs and dental technicians in the process, plus a few physicians and dentists who thought they could hang, hahahaha! Fools. I was an All-Navy triathlete for several years straight). I knew I wanted to become a commissioned officer, so I sought out the tough duty assignments and actively sought out hazardous duty and hazard area stints (I even was hoping for what I and my Marines called a "light war wound." How stupid was that?). I took the business seriously (which I NEVER do nowadays, LOL!).

I always made sure I was way above standards my entire military career and that my uniform, demeanor and proficiency was sharp (don't judge me by how I am here, in other words ;-). But some of the posters here also have a point about what sea duty -- and all those weeks and months at sea, steaming and eating and steaming and eating, and then hitting liberty ports, can do to a body. We were lucky, because we were embarked and not ship's company, and the blue-jean contingent (the "skimmer pirates," or surface Navy/Sailors and officers) left us alone to do our PT and clean our weapons and otherwise prepare for what we were supposed to do when they got us to shore. So they never messed with us when we were out on deck, getting some sunlight and doing the deck-of-cards-push-ups and flutter kicks business. That was the "Green Side." The "Blue Side" was a different matter entirely.

Back in the 80s, a Navy physical fitness test (twice-yearly) usually meant you'd see overweight Sailors and Chiefs and officers in fitness gear (there was no standard Navy-issue PFT uniform back then) they only wore twice a year. If they were young enough, they'd simply gut out the PFT (it was only a minimum number of sit-ups, push-ups and that 1.5-mile run) and rumble/bumble/stumble across the finish line, take a gasp of air and then light up a cigarette. And then bitch and moan about how sore they were for the next week.

Here's the thing about the Navy, at least in the 1980s and 1990s (Mr. Slowguy can speak to today's Navy):

No one ever overtly put pressure on me, as a Hospital Corpsman First Class Petty Officer (E6) back in the mid-1980s, to shade the run time for anyone but you knew you weren't going to fail anyone in the goat locker (Chiefs mess) or the officers mess. Not if you wanted to ensure you got 4.0 evals (kind of like USMC Pros and Cons) for the next promotion cycle (especially if you were an E6 going up for CPO). This was "old Navy" practice. After Elmo Zumwalt (which was worse, as the "Zumwalt Navy") but before all that "Honor, Courage, Commitment" jazz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current line of thinking is that fat is more buoyant, therefore an advantage in a ship-wrecked emergency.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Madduck wrote:

The number seems high. I don’t think over ever been at a command with 15% failures on the fitness tests.

That said, our fitness test is kind of sad, and doesn’t really measure any kind of fitness related to the job. And it’s been getting more lax over the past several years, I assume for retention reasons.

The test looks pretty easy. https://www.navy.com/...ml#physical-training
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The current line of thinking is that fat is more buoyant, therefore an advantage in a ship-wrecked emergency.

Isn't this supposed to be in pink? ;-)

Eh, that's why they teach you, in the Navy and Marine Corps (during what's called "drown proofing"), to use your trousers and your shirt as flotation devices. I recall a young Marine who ended up falling off the flight deck of the amphibious assault ship he was on, who used his camouflage utility pants to stay afloat for two days until a passing freighter found him and fished him out of the sea.

Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Stop insulting pansies!

I thought JSA was a Marine?

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seaman, marine it's stall still navy...
Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Stop insulting pansies!

I thought JSA was a Marine?

I think he was an Army JAG Corps officer. Means he was an Army ambulance chaser. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: BK, slowguy: unfit sailors, wtf? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
But you know what the armed services say about the Navy and Air Force when it comes to physical fitness. ;-)
1970's-80's USAF. The only PFT we had to pass was an annual 1.5-mile run. In one of the fighter squadrons I was in, we played a game of flag football while drinking beer in our cutoff shorts and whatever T-shirt we could find on a Friday afternoon, after which the squadron commander signed everyone off. That was better than the pencil whipping that went on most of the time showing that we'd all passed the PFT test, even though most of the folks never did anything other than 12-oz curls at the Club on Friday night.

In the early 1990's, "they" decided that too many folks were having heart attacks if they actually made them run, so we went to a cycle ergometer. That was a real joke, but at least I actually had to do that test once.

Times have changed. These days, the USAF makes everyone do pushups, sit-ups, and run 1.5 miles in order to pass the PFT. You don't need to be an Army Ranger (27 pushups/minute, 39 sit-ups/minute, and a 14-minute 1.5-mile run are the minimums for a 30-year old male), but it's something. From what I've been told by current active-duty folks, it seems like they are pretty strict when it comes to actually making people take the test. More people go to the gym (aka "fitness center") and regularly run/bike. Squadrons schedule "PT" during the week where everyone is expected to show up and they have regular "uniforms" that everyone wears.

It's almost like they expect people in the USAF to act like they're in a military organization!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live next to Lemoore NAS in CA and I guess I don't see that. All the guys look like they are on steroids to me.