Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California's Homeless Rate Drives National Increase
Quote | Reply
Nationwide, there are nearly 554,000 homeless people, a 1 percent increase over last year. More than one-quarter of the total homeless population, or about 114,000, lives in California. According to the New York Times, California is responsible for the increase in the nationwide figure, due to "the dramatic surge in West Coast cities.

What gives out in Cali? Stupendous wealth in various coastal enclaves and a rapidly shrinking middle class that's giving way to the equally rapidly growing poor.

What? Do all those Silicon Valley billionaires and Hollywood moguls just step over the poor lying before them, all while sending out their latest tweet on how super-sweet Cali's high-speed rail is going to be, once they get control of cost overruns, that is (currently, the project's going to cost $8 billion, 27 percent more than original projections). How about they throw some of that money toward the poor on their own doorstep?

California Today: State’s Homeless Population Drives National Increase - The New York Times

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: California's Homeless Rate Drives National Increase [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hiring people in this state is punitive to the employers, plain and simple.

Add in all the free shit you can get here and the privilege of being basically exempt from following and laws if you’re poor in CA and this is what you get.

There’s an app you can load on your phone that tells you where all the human shit is in most major cities here.

No joke.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: California's Homeless Rate Drives National Increase [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Hiring people in this state is punitive to the employers, plain and simple.

Add in all the free shit you can get here and the privilege of being basically exempt from following and laws if you’re poor in CA and this is what you get.

There’s an app you can load on your phone that tells you where all the human shit is in most major cities here.

No joke.

That was developed to help deal with the various Hepatitis A outbreaks that have been springing up in some California cities with large homeless populations. San Diego was one, and it erected giant tents, I think, to house the homeless and keep them from defecating all over the streets.

I can remember back during one of my tours in in the San Diego region, after the first Gulf War, and I was helping pass out bagged lunches to homeless people on Thanksgiving Day around the Horton Plaza area, on behalf of a charitable organization called "Crumbs From The Table." For the most part, the homeless folks were appreciative, though several obviously had mental issues and we were attacked one time by one of them. Also, various streetwalkers and other folks on the criminal side loved to come up and grab one of those lunches as well.

I really felt for many of them (the homeless and the streetwalkers), some of whom had found themselves in their circumstance through no fault of their own, but almost all of the homeless had serious hygiene issues and you could tell they had favorite spots around the area where they took care of their bathroom needs. The cops were overwhelmed, even back then, and mostly turned a blind eye unless one of those folks actually engaged in criminality. Only then would they step in.

Quote Reply
Re: California's Homeless Rate Drives National Increase [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Nationwide, there are nearly 554,000 homeless people, a 1 percent increase over last year. More than one-quarter of the total homeless population, or about 114,000, lives in California. According to the New York Times, California is responsible for the increase in the nationwide figure, due to "the dramatic surge in West Coast cities.

What gives out in Cali? Stupendous wealth in various coastal enclaves and a rapidly shrinking middle class that's giving way to the equally rapidly growing poor.

What? Do all those Silicon Valley billionaires and Hollywood moguls just step over the poor lying before them, all while sending out their latest tweet on how super-sweet Cali's high-speed rail is going to be, once they get control of cost overruns, that is (currently, the project's going to cost $8 billion, 27 percent more than original projections). How about they throw some of that money toward the poor on their own doorstep?

California Today: State’s Homeless Population Drives National Increase - The New York Times

If one was homeless, would you rather be in Minot, North fucking Dakota where it's 11 degrees today on a warm day, or Sunny SoCal by the beach? Kind of a no brainer. I think at one time, Cali put homeless people on a jet to Hawaii.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don’t feed the bears.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: California's Homeless Rate Drives National Increase [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

If one was homeless, would you rather be in Minot, North fucking Dakota where it's 11 degrees today on a warm day, or Sunny SoCal by the beach? Kind of a no brainer. I think at one time, Cali put homeless people on a jet to Hawaii.
Yes, Hawaii was sent the castoffs, which was a mess. I think the homeless population is much higher than what is actually known. People sleeping in cars and working in Beverly Hills are more than likely not accounted for.
When at work I always ask the homeless why they came to California most mention jobs then family. None will mention anything about being homeless here has many perks.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Yes, Hawaii was sent the castoffs, which was a mess. I think the homeless population is much higher than what is actually known. People sleeping in cars and working in Beverly Hills are more than likely not accounted for.
When at work I always ask the homeless why they came to California most mention jobs then family. None will mention anything about being homeless here has many perks.

I recall Cleveland, I think it was, that was caught sending their homeless down to Orlando and Miami. They gave them Greyhound tickets and put them on the bus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
travelmama wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I recall Cleveland, I think it was, that was caught sending their homeless down to Orlando and Miami. They gave them Greyhound tickets and put them on the bus.

Why is that a bad thing?
Quote Reply