Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AA question [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Im really interested if you think that there actually is an appropriate thing to say?

I’m just telling you what I think.

If someone walks up to you and shows you an AA chip then they’re clearly farming for props.

My own personal feelings about my own situation with not drinking is that it isn’t something really worthy of any praise. I just don’t drink. Big fucking deal.

As a side note, I’m probably not the right person to ask what is an appropriate thing to say. I’m not exactly typical when it comes to “sober” people.

For one thing, it’s only alcohol that I refrain from. I still occasionally smoke weed and take psychedelics. When other sober people I know learn that I take drugs some of them get kind of pissed off. Then they learn that I haven’t done “the 12 steps” and the conversation gets real awkward. Some of these people will give me a bunch of shit and say I’m not “really” a sober person. Ok, sure. But then these are people who keep relapsing while I haven’t had a drink in almost 10 years (and I don’t have any desire to have a drink).

It’s really kind of a bizarre cult in a way and if you don’t follow their proscribed rules of recovery then you can be, sort of, an enemy.

So again, I can only give you my own personal feelings on the matter. When people hear that I don’t drink and say “that’s great!” I usually just say tanks. But if it’s a person that really wants to go beyond small talk then I get into what I’ve explained here.

Quote:
Do you think its just that some (most??) people need to hear that positive reinforcement and you're not one of them?

Well, yeah. That’s kind of the main point of going to AA meetings. It’s a bunch of people who are there to support you. It can be really helpful and for the first month or so of me not drinking it helped me. But, for me, after awhile it just seemed like I didn’t need it anymore and stopped going.

I’d run into people from the meetings on the street and they’d be super concerned because I haven’t been around and I’d just tell them I’m fine.

A guy I work with has been sober for about 3 years, goes to meetings almost every day and, IMHO, is still firmly gripped by alcoholism. It consumes him daily even though he doesn’t consume it.

But hey, when I quit drinking I went full tilt into triathlons. So there’s that.

But bottom line is that I’m not really the right person to ask what’s “appropriate”.

But back to BLeP’s inquiry, anyone who flashes a chip to random, non-AA people has issues.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
You are the first person I’ve ever heard mention they’ve seen a chip. Let alone multiple people with them. Do you frequent a community center or something that also hosts AA meetings

Not multiple. Someone I know posted a picture of a 4 month chip.

Another someone I know was getting help but has decided that she doesn't need help. And is also not taking calls from her family. She's lost her licence to drive. She's a hot mess.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond mate.
Cant say Ive ever really drunk much at all (only truly drunk once in my life), I wouldn't drink a dozen drinks in a year and have never tried any kind of drug.
Im not judging anyone that has (an old employee of mine smoked a lot of weed and so long as he didn't come to work stoned, I could not care less) and what you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business
Duffy wrote:
But back to BLeP’s inquiry, anyone who flashes a chip to random, non-AA people has issues.
Kind of like how triathletes let everyone know they are triathletes?? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Im not judging anyone that has (an old employee of mine smoked a lot of weed and so long as he didn't come to work stoned, I could not care less) and what you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business

Just to be clear, I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve smoked weed in the last year.

I haven’t done psychedelics at all in 2017.

When I say that I “do” these things I really just mean that I am open to doing them. It’s not something I do very often at all.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
When someone shows you their chip what is the best response? Congratulations doesn't seem right.

Keep it up? Stay Strong?

Show them your "I haven't fucked a moose today chip"

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
When someone shows you their chip what is the best response? Congratulations doesn't seem right.

Keep it up? Stay Strong?

Show them your "I haven't fucked a moose today chip"

I can get a chip for that?!?

#moosestrong

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Leddy wrote:
You are the first person I’ve ever heard mention they’ve seen a chip. Let alone multiple people with them. Do you frequent a community center or something that also hosts AA meetings

Not multiple. Someone I know posted a picture of a 4 month chip.

It could be worse. They could be bragging to you about their involvement in crossfit.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: AA question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
\

I've never heard of this either.

If someone were to show me a chip, I'd think to myself, "Why the fuck do you think I care?" I might want to say, "You never apologized to me, so go back to step 9 you slacker." I might also secretly want to see, "Are you really that weak minded to believe that, but for faith in some fictitious higher power, you were powerless to overcome your addiction?" But recognizing that the likely reason someone would show a chip was because they were digging for a compliment, I'd probably say, "Cool."
Quote Reply

Prev Next