Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cryptocurrency for 13 year olds
Quote | Reply
My 13 year old nephew is very hard to buy for. He's very interested in math/numbers and anything that might make a quick profit. Last weekend he was talking to me about cryptocurrency and I know the basics, have a couple different types of coins (litecoin, iota, and cindicator) and have seen good 'returns' from when I first invested in bitcoin a year ago. For Christmas I'm going to invest $200 for him and then again the same for his birthday mid January if he wants me to.

I'm pretty set on cindicator because I can buy a larger quantity for the $200 which I think will make him happy immediately, but then also might grow to something somewhat sizable for a 13 year old boy over the year or if not it will be a novelty he can track to learn about exchanges etc. If for his birthday he decides he wants to invest the other $200 in something else, cryptocurrency or otherwise I'll let him decide.

Is there a good resource that I can look at to get a bit smarter so I can answer his questions or that he can look at so he can continue to know way more than me anyway.

I'm good with buying bitcoin, sending to an exchange and trading for whatever coin, but I've been using Coinbase and then Binance. Is there a way to go that has lower fees? Basically I'm going to set it all up in my accounts but set him up with a way to view his 'portfolio' so he can track it and let me know what he wants to do with.

Any help will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Cryptocurrency for 13 year olds [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For lower fees, use GDAX instead of Coinbase. They are they same company, different exchange interface. GDAX charges .25% fees instead of whatever inflated rate Coinbase charges. Your coinbase account login should also work for GDAX.

Binance is fine for trading for your alt currencies. It is Chinese owned and does not require user identity verification for their basic account level. BITTREX is US owned and follows US regulations, but you'll have to verify your identity with a photo ID. It trades a lot more volume and has more liquidity in general. I've used both and either are fine, but I use BITTREX for almost all trading. Binance is showing a lot of promise though. I like their UI better. Both have the same or similar transaction fees.

Quote Reply