Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perogy Dough - WTH
Quote | Reply
Can't seem to find the proper recipe for pierogi dough. Can't remember the proportions, google basically sucks as it's giving me "Americanized" or is that "North Americanized" versions of the dough. Pretty sure it has potato in it, as observed by myself & my dw having helped our respective mothers make it. The closest I'm seeing is potato water. The last 2 batches have been miserable, 1st was tough, 2nd was gnocchi adapted but that was too light. Tired of experimenting, want some non store bought pyrohy's (there, I've used up 3 of the 6 possible spellings too!)
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely. It makes the dough more tender, but I have no idea what the proportions are, I also know that gnocci dough works but tends to fall apart if even slightly over cooked. Good luck getting 2 dozen out of the boiler without overcooking a few.

Now excuse me while I go pound head against a wall for a while.

You literally pulled up the same sites except used better search terms. I am stupid.
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Dec 19, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can get my MiL's recipe. Her parents were from Poland. Authentic enough for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good dough uses potato, trust me. lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
good dough uses potato, trust me. lol.

No shit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank provided 3 links with the potato dough, like I said, I'm stupid. From the same 3 places I got shitty recipe's from, I should go back to bed, home sick today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just order some frozen ones from Kaisa's deli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or get Cheemo's the company that owns the Canadian market. I know, but some combinations aren't available. Like sauerkraut, but who the fuck puts that in a perogy - no don't answer that, the question is rhetorical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Or get Cheemo's the company that owns the Canadian market. I know, but some combinations aren't available. Like sauerkraut, but who the fuck puts that in a perogy - no don't answer that, the question is rhetorical.

Kaisa's has sauerkraut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah all the bubba's love that shit. Kinda like the Mexican make over with refried beans, jalapenos & cheese, damn they're good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Costco and Farmboy have plenty of options. Better then that cheemo crap.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or I can just my own like we did before there were factory made perogies, yet another lost skill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grandma's Polish Perogies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This one is similar to my grandmother's.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read and have been told the sour cream dough is pretty good too. Might have to try that some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Or I can just my own like we did before there were factory made perogies, yet another lost skill.

You know what else they did before factories? Not lose the recipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sorry"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Perogies. I tried to make my own from scratch, way too much work and not as good. Just buy a box of Mrs. T's perogies from your local store.
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Love Perogies. I tried to make my own from scratch, way too much work and not as good. Just buy a box of Mrs. T's perogies from your local store.

Pierogies - made properly from scratch - are among the best foods ever conceived. However, I'm a firm believer that the frozen, factory-made equivalents get you about 90% of that made from scratch goodness, with about 10% of the effort.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Pierogies - made properly from scratch - are among the best foods ever conceived. However, I'm a firm believer that the frozen, factory-made equivalents get you about 90% of that made from scratch goodness, with about 10% of the effort.

10%? Id say more like 2% of the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Perogy Dough - WTH [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, there's something about rolling out the dough, making the filling, boiling them and then stealing them before mom catches ya. None of the childhood memories with the store bought ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A family friend pointed me in the right direction...

Quote Reply