Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing
Quote | Reply
Record

https://www.theguardian.com/...olo-circumnavigation

This is amazing. 42 days. Little sleep. Shit weather. Big seas. A huge trimaran and if it goes wrong you are stuffed

Really amazing record
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is crazy. I was a crew member on a Transpacific boat racing from Long Beach to Hawaii and that took 14 days. I cannot imagine this accomplishment and the brutal ride in a loghtweight trimaran!
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
That is crazy. I was a crew member on a Transpacific boat racing from Long Beach to Hawaii and that took 14 days. I cannot imagine this accomplishment and the brutal ride in a loghtweight trimaran!

I was invited to crew on that race back in the early 90s and couldn’t get my shit in order to get the time off.

The boat I was to crew on pitchpoled halfway across and ended up upside down. The crew sat on the hull for four days waiting for rescue in, at times, 20 foot seas.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! It’s a relatively calm area in which to sail so they must’ve been pushing really hard to roll the boat and they must’ve lost their keel if the boat didn’t right itself (unless it was a mulithull).

We had a few days of 35+ know winds and 15-18’ seas but it wasn’t a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think blue water sailing is a risky sport. I think solo in a 90 foot boat covering 700 miles a day and hitting 40 knots is just scary
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Wow! It’s a relatively calm area in which to sail so they must’ve been pushing really hard to roll the boat and they must’ve lost their keel if the boat didn’t right itself (unless it was a mulithull).

We had a few days of 35+ know winds and 15-18’ seas but it wasn’t a problem.

Apparently they were surfing down swell and the keel fell out.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.theguardian.com/...ht-race-simon-speirs Much better than the British.

Andrewmc wrote:
Record

https://www.theguardian.com/...olo-circumnavigation

This is amazing. 42 days. Little sleep. Shit weather. Big seas. A huge trimaran and if it goes wrong you are stuffed

Really amazing record

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: One of the things the French are good at.............new RTW solo sailing [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there have been 2 or 3 deaths in the clipper

These harnesses do not seem to hold up. It's like falling on a static line they do not seem to hold. There is a safety issue in the clipper

These solo guys don't always clip on but if you are on a boat doing 40 knots in the southern ocean and go over the side, clipped in or not it's game over because you would not be able to pull yourself back on board. So you drown as the yacht sails off or you drown being dragged by the yacht
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is just a huge accomplishment

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched this the whole way. He killed it.

The other attempt going westward was less successful. Ultim (former Sodebo) not so lucky.

www.xssailing.com/article/round-the-world-multihull-capsizes-off-cape-horn/

Last edited by: spirogeek: Dec 18, 17 6:08
Quote Reply