Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment
Quote | Reply
If this one isn't illustrative of just how pernicious to our republic Big Government is, I don't what is.

And what happens when the congressional watchdog turns out to be a horndog? ;-)

Turns out the staff director and chief counsel of the Office of Congressional Ethics (there's a contradiction in terms if ever I saw one) -- who's the guy in charge of investigating sexual harassment by congresspersons -- is now being sued for "verbally abusing and physically assaulting" women.

From Roll Call:

"Omar Ashmawy’s case goes back to his involvement in a late-night brawl in 2015 in Milford, Pennsylvania, according to Foreign Policy.

The suit includes a range of allegations related to his behavior that night and in subsequent years.

Ashmawy is named in the congressional documents as the person who presented investigations into allegations against former Rep. John Conyers Jr. of sexual harassment that led him to resign.

Ashmawy is accused of “threatening to use his position as staff director and chief counsel of the Office of Congressional Ethics to induce a criminal proceeding to be brought against Plaintiff and/or others” according to the lawsuit reviewed by Foreign Policy.
Ashmawy denied the allegations against him.

“To be clear, I did not harass anyone that evening, physically or verbally,” he said. “To the contrary, I was the victim of a wholly unprovoked assault for which those responsible were investigated, arrested and charged. Any allegation to the contrary is unequivocally false.”

The report said that Ashmawy got into an altercation at a bar in the Milford area that left him bloodied in the back of a police car.
Shortly after, three men were arrested for assaulting Ashmawy. Court documents Foreign Policy reviewed show that three women, including the bartender, accused him of harassing and physically assaulting them."

From Foreign Policy:

"According to the complaint, Martucci on the night of Feb. 14, 2015, witnessed “an extremely violent and belligerent” Ashmawy become verbally abusive toward two women at Milford’s Dimmick Inn, Dawn Jorgenson — the wife of John Jorgenson, the owner of the bar — and Joey Lynn Smith, a bartender there.

Martucci also said he saw Ashmawy physically assaulting Dawn Jorgenson and Christina Floyd, another woman at the bar, a claim echoed in police statements given by the women and reviewed by FP.

According to a three-page statement dated March 12, 2015, Dawn Jorgenson said she witnessed Ashmawy “clearly sexually harassing” the bartender throughout the course of the evening and saw his behavior spiral toward physical violence. “You’ll give me drinks, but you won’t fuck me,” Ashmawy allegedly said to the bartender, according to Dawn Jorgenson’s written statement.

She said she then saw Ashmawy block the bartender with his body and curse at her, and grab her by the wrists. Dawn Jorgenson said when she tried to intervene, Ashmawy turned against her. “He’s holding my wrist so tightly that he falls down to the ground landing to the left of me,” she wrote in her statement.

She said her husband, John Jorgenson, came over to help and pulled Ashmawy away, taking him outside.
In statements given to police, the third woman, Christina Floyd, provided a similar account. “I watched each time Omar would come down and verbally sexually harass the bartender as he ordered drinks,” Floyd wrote in her statement, describing an increasingly angry Ashmawy confronting the bartender."

Looks like Ashmawy also tried to use his official position to try and intimidate local law enforcement into seeing the incident his way (also from Foreign Policy):

An email reviewed by FP from Ashmawy, using his congressional affiliation, to the police chief and officials at the district attorney’s office accuses them of not handling the case properly.

“As of today it has been over five weeks since I was assaulted. To date, the police department’s investigation is not complete and charges have not been filed. I am deeply concerned,” he wrote in the email, which is signed with his congressional title and work mail address.

Ashmawy cites his injuries, which he said included a facial fracture and a “bruised and bloodied” eye.
In the same email, Ashmawy references his own work conducting investigations, and indicates that if charges aren’t filed the case might attract high-level attention in the capital."

So who, then, watches the watchdogs? It's an age-old question when it comes to Big Government.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
If this one isn't illustrative of just how pernicious to our republic Big Government is, I don't what is./quote]

I'm slow, so connect the dots for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
"Omar Ashmawy’s case goes back to his involvement in a late-night brawl in 2015 in Milford, Pennsylvania, according to Foreign Policy.

That was his first mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I'm from Milford, DE that would have been a mistake too.
Quote Reply
Re: Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Oh, come on:

"Milford is the kind of town that seems to reveal surprises around every corner. Art galleries are tucked into shops along picturesque Walnut Street, and the Downtown Riverwalk beckons walkers and cyclists to take a stroll along the water after lunch at a delicious downtown restaurant like Abbott’s Grill. A craft beer sampling at Mispillion Brewing Company is a must-try activity, and nature lovers won’t want to miss the two nearby gems – Abbott’s Mill and DuPont Nature Centers."

https://www.visitdelaware.com/...milford/attractions/
Quote Reply
Re: Groperdammerung: House Investigator Investigating Sex Harassment Now Accused of...Sex Harassment [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Yeah, I caught that too. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Oh, come on:

"Milford is the kind of town that seems to reveal surprises around every corner. Art galleries are tucked into shops along picturesque Walnut Street, and the Downtown Riverwalk beckons walkers and cyclists to take a stroll along the water after lunch at a delicious downtown restaurant like Abbott’s Grill. A craft beer sampling at Mispillion Brewing Company is a must-try activity, and nature lovers won’t want to miss the two nearby gems – Abbott’s Mill and DuPont Nature Centers."

https://www.visitdelaware.com/...milford/attractions/

I'm was actually taking some license. When I was growing up there in the 70s and 80s, even into the 90s there wasn't much to it but over the last decade or so it's actually become pretty decent. I don't know if gentrification is the right word or not, but it certainly has caught up with the times.

I actually have seen a cyclist or two in recent years when I'm out riding in the area, which never use to happen. There's decent restaurants and bars now. They've revitalized the downtown.

In my mind it reminds me a lot of the impoverished downtrodden towns in eastern NC when I live down there, but that was really decades ago, it's much improved now if you can stand the suburban sprawl in the area.

I've still not been to the Mispillion Brewing Company, putting it on the list for our annual Christmas visit.
Quote Reply