Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You’re still missing the point. Forget about my own personal history and stick with this..

Quote:
Sexual misconduct is a broad term...

...that right there ^^^^^^^^ is my point. It’s a broad term. And it’s the term that will be used from here on out to silence and destroy those who are deemed to be deserving.

Yes. It's a broad term, but all of the conduct that it covers is pretty clearly defined by the rest of the definition. You can't pick out words you don't like and then complain that the term is too broad.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Other than being the national cause du jour, how is this different now than it's always been? Anyone feeling harassed (regardless of how minor it might be) has had the opportunity to do these very things for years. Why is it so much more a concern now?

Social. Media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not the word that I don’t like.

I give up.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Danno wrote:
Other than being the national cause du jour, how is this different now than it's always been? Anyone feeling harassed (regardless of how minor it might be) has had the opportunity to do these very things for years. Why is it so much more a concern now?

Social. Media.

Seems like social media predates this phenomenon by a good many years. Let's face it, the concern is a woman will be believed over a man (Anita Hill vs. Clarence Thomas, Clinton and his accuser type deal) when in the past that was rarely the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
How often are accusations of sexual harassment made where the victim never said anything to the accused? IOW, the victim never told the accused to stop it...

It's actually the majority of instances I've seen. Usually, it plays out this way:

1. Guy flirts or hits on girl
2. Girl tries not to hurt guys feelings, but doesn't encourage the conduct
3. Guy doesn't get the hint
4. Girl complains to HR (or manager or main boss)
5. HR (or manager or main boss) talks to guy (no discipline, no termination)
6. Conduct stops
7. Everybody is satisfied and eventually the awkwardness between the two goes away.

I know this because our HR department keeps me apprised of complaints/issues, even when there is a low chance of it turning into a charge of discrimination or a lawsuit. Usually, when I have to get involved, it's because the conduct is considerably more severe and/or pervasive, and the guy won't give it a rest OR we've done all we think is warranted, but the woman won't let it go until he gets fired, so she sues us for not doing enough. Fortunately, neither of these types of situations happens very often. Usually, if the woman doesn't feel comfortable enough to deal with the guy directly, HR or the manager does a good job of making it all clear. We'd prefer that people be able to confront each other respectfully in these situations, but it isn't always the case.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I give up.

If only we could all be as smart as Duffy thinks he is . . . .

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
307trout wrote:
How often are accusations of sexual harassment made where the victim never said anything to the accused? IOW, the victim never told the accused to stop it...

It's actually the majority of instances I've seen. Usually, it plays out this way:

1. Guy flirts or hits on girl
2. Girl tries not to hurt guys feelings, but doesn't encourage the conduct
3. Guy doesn't get the hint
4. Girl complains to HR (or manager or main boss)
5. HR (or manager or main boss) talks to guy (no discipline, no termination)
6. Conduct stops
7. Everybody is satisfied and eventually the awkwardness between the two goes away.

I know this because our HR department keeps me apprised of complaints/issues, even when there is a low chance of it turning into a charge of discrimination or a lawsuit. Usually, when I have to get involved, it's because the conduct is considerably more severe and/or pervasive, and the guy won't give it a rest OR we've done all we think is warranted, but the woman won't let it go until he gets fired, so she sues us for not doing enough. Fortunately, neither of these types of situations happens very often. Usually, if the woman doesn't feel comfortable enough to deal with the guy directly, HR or the manager does a good job of making it all clear. We'd prefer that people be able to confront each other respectfully in these situations, but it isn't always the case.

Just curious how often, if ever, you get cases where the roles are reversed (i.e., she's harassing him)?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Just curious how often, if ever, you get cases where the roles are reversed (i.e., she's harassing him)?

I have never had one. Have had a few same sex harassment cases, though.

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I give up.

If only we could all be as smart as Duffy thinks he is . . . .

I’m not one who claims to be smart. I know full well that I’m an idiot.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Crank wrote:
I've identified our disconnect:

You're writing about the law in the relatively well-defined contexts of employment, standards of conduct, policies, remedial actions, etc.

In all fairness, the focus from most of the posts in this thread have been about men losing their jobs/livelihoods due to mere accusations and the social feeding frenzy associated therewith.

Crank wrote:
I'm writing about the jungle that is daily and informal social interactions. I'm afraid for some poor kid like Koala Bear (sorry for choosing you, KB, as my example but here we are), who's studiously sitting at his desk during a University lecture, and he gets caught staring mindlessly at the woman across the room (maybe he thinks she's super cute and he's thinking of how to start a conversation with her).

Now, these days, that woman can run to social media (maybe she's "friends" with poor Koala Bear, or "friends" of "friends") or school administration and say, "Ew, some scumbag @Koala_Bear was staring at me in class for no reason. It was real rapey there for a second. #metoo"

And there, all of a sudden, the poor kid is adjudicated in the social courts to be guilty merely because (A) he was mesmerized by something he found to be attractive even though his intent was pure; (B) the woman felt that being stared at was harassing; and (C) identity politics' demand for adjudging anything contra-accusation as (yet another) attack on the oppressed accuser.

I could write a tome. Summarized (please give me the benefit of the doubt that I've given these things much more thought than presented here), it's not just a "national cause du jour," and that minimization is obtuse. These social movements have legs and will shape things to come for a long time, and for the better. I'm unwilling, however, to sacrifice humans (which are, by definition, imperfect and bumbling) upon an altar whose position is under the control of those who want to use and benefit from it. It all goes back to an idea of a lack of due process (even though we're not in a court of law). There's simply too little to protect the wrongfully accused from the social feeding frenzy (well put, by the way).

Sorry to not give you a better answer but I'm trying to close a deal and I'm just too distracted to give your questions the time they and these issues deserve. If we were in the same city (I'm assuming you're not in San Diego) I'd invite you for a beer to discuss in more detail.

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Dec 14, 17 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this like when you freely and fervently offer up post after post after post bitching about Dems/Obama/Clinton, etc... and then when someone calls you on washing Trump's balls so much, you try to protest that you really really pinky swear you hate the GOP too ~ only the veneer of conviction is suspiciously thin to anyone who notices how seldomly you voluntarily complain about the Right, except when attempting to pretend you're balanced and objective about both sides?

At least Forge didn't try to hide from owning his self-importance.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

I'm unwilling, however, to sacrifice humans (which are, by definition, imperfect and bumbling) upon an altar whose position is under the control of those who want to use and benefit from it. It all goes back to an idea of a lack of due process (even though we're not in a court of law). There's simply too little to protect the wrongfully accused from the social feeding frenzy (well put, by the way).

I don't think anyone wants to see some one wronged by a false accusation. What you seem to be saying is that the threat of that is so great that we should....what?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Is this like when you freely and fervently offer up post after post after post bitching about Dems/Obama/Clinton, etc... and then when someone calls you on washing Trump's balls so much, you try to protest that you really really pinky swear you hate the GOP too ~ only the veneer of conviction is suspiciously thin to anyone who notices how seldomly you voluntarily complain about the Right, except when attempting to pretend you're balanced and objective about both sides?

At least Forge didn't try to hide from owning his self-importance.

I guess you’ve never bothered to read my opinions on Christians, pro lifers, drug war warriors, cops, the Republican Party, Trump, Pence, anti-gay politicians, etc. etc....

I generally comment on what presented here and what’s presented here is a daily barrage of hysterical Trump/Hitler/Rapist bullshit.

You really need to read what I write and NOT read into what you think I mean.

I was asked in another thread if I thought Trump was a national embarrassment and my answer was “yes”.

Never got a response to that. It seems like every time I criticize Trump or Republicans it’s ignored.

Look at my comments in the GOP tax plan threads. It’s a POS bill.

Ask me my opinion on anything specific and I will answer you specifically.

As for Trump, some of his policies I agree with, others I don’t. I’ve been one of the most ardent and vocal critic of his immigration policy, for example.

But you guys will just continue to ignore it.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Dec 14, 17 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
I run a small business where unsubstantiated accusations combined with social media exposure can and do kill businesses and careers.

well then you would do well to watch the video I posted for you, gain even a cursory understanding of harassment rules and liabilities, and train your staff.

you're welcome by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I don't think anyone wants to see some one wronged by a false accusation.

You have far too much faith in people. Lots of people want to see someone wronged by a false accusation. Criminal defendants want to see cops burn. Jilted lovers want to see their former paramour go down. Someone who was fairly passed over for a promotion want the person who earned the promotion to disappear. Accusations are the new weapon in this social war and they're available to everybody. Even if an accusation is eventually proven to be false (assuming there's ever any inquiry in the first place), nobody in this too-fast-paced culture ever listens until the end of a story. All people remember is the salacious accusation. (What's the saying? "A lie will make it halfway across the world before the truth has time to even tie its shoes," or something like that.)

ThisIsIt wrote:
What you seem to be saying is that the threat of that is so great that we should....what?

Exercise restraint (good luck with that, though). Amend defamation per se laws (Google it) to include false accusations. I know, I'm expecting far too much from people. I can hope, though.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next