Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd read that somewhere. But, I couldn't find the article again today.

Sad to say, but in my brain I'd rather die in 1.5 seconds rather that have nearly 7 to think about it. Ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
The fall, not the landing
I heard he stuck the landing
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 5, 18 0:41
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
"A newspaper says another person has died in the deep snow dropped in the California mountains by a strong winter storm.

The Fresno Bee says Blake Smith was snowboarding with his friends at China Peak Mountain Resort when his life ended in a freak accident.

Tim Cohee, China Peak's managing partner and general manager, told the newspaper that the 36-year-old Smith was snowboarding Friday when he fell headfirst into a 5-foot embankment of fresh snow and suffocated when he couldn't free himself."

Actually this is not an uncommon way to get killed while backcountry skiing. Usually it happens at the base of trees.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Why all the condescension in this thread? Sure, he engaged in a high risk activity, and those risks caught up to him. Doesn't mean he wasn't aware of the risks, didn't take them into account, and didn't take what he believe to be reasonable precautions.

The only problem I have with this is that he was also risking injury and death to others, people who had no say in the matter.

He didn't take any precautions, none of these idiots do. I assume you have never seen any of these daredevils. They think they wont fall, some do and die, but they make good money till their dead.

No real difference over time, just a lot easier to show it off now.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
He actually only fell 45 feet onto a terrace level, but it still killed him.

The refinery that I cover has a large turnaround going. They had a guy fall 60 feet. Was working on scaffolding and pulling up some cord while scaffolders were removing some decking or altering the scaffolding. Guy stepped where he thought there was deck and fell. Wasn't tied off. Hit a scaffolding pole on the way down. Broke his jaw and his orbital, but didn't die. That's like 9.99999999999 lives out of 10.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Why all the condescension in this thread? Sure, he engaged in a high risk activity, and those risks caught up to him. Doesn't mean he wasn't aware of the risks, didn't take them into account, and didn't take what he believe to be reasonable precautions.

The only problem I have with this is that he was also risking injury and death to others, people who had no say in the matter.

He didn't take any precautions, none of these idiots do. I assume you have never seen any of these daredevils. They think they wont fall, some do and die, but they make good money till their dead.

No real difference over time, just a lot easier to show it off now.

You assume wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video account has been terminated. Sadly ironic

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

The refinery that I cover has a large turnaround going. They had a guy fall 60 feet. Was working on scaffolding and pulling up some cord while scaffolders were removing some decking or altering the scaffolding. Guy stepped where he thought there was deck and fell. Wasn't tied off. Hit a scaffolding pole on the way down. Broke his jaw and his orbital, but didn't die. That's like 9.99999999999 lives out of 10.

I'm pretty sure I've read there are people who have fallen from tremendous heights, like out of airplanes* and lived. I guess once you reach terminal velocity (I have no idea how long that takes), doesn't really matter how far you fall.

*I seem to recall a female Russian pilot in WWII falling when her parachute didn't open. She landed in a swamp and lived.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

*I seem to recall a female Russian pilot in WWII falling when her parachute didn't open. She landed in a swamp and lived.

Well, there's living and there's being alive. Both aren't the same. Did she live? Or was she simply not dead?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Well, there's living and there's being alive. Both aren't the same. Did she live? Or was she simply not dead?

I think she lived, "only" had a fracture pelvis.

I have no idea how I remember this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think she fell through a big spruce tree before she hit the ground. I think it was in one of those Guiness book of Records they used to publish every year.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

I said that the mere fact that he engaged in a high risk activity didn't mean that he wasn't aware of the risks, didn't take them into account, and didn't take what he "believed" to be reasonable precautions.

I see your point. But I think this particular case is weighed down by the perception that what he was doing was fundamentally silly to begin with. It's was a gratuitous display of risk for Youtube hits, with no particularly unique or interesting skill involved.

Free soloing might have similar risks, but it's a based on a sport involving skill, and the natural world (usually). And the free soloing community has a set of established practices. Might just be a difference of perception, but still.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 5, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I think she fell through a big spruce tree before she hit the ground. I think it was in one of those Guiness book of Records they used to publish every year.

I don't know about the Russian, but there was a B-17 crewman who survived a long fall: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee

There's a list of other spectacular falls on that page.
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And sometimes it just appears that god is pissed at you.

http://www.msn.com/...r-BBJVDHZ?li=BBnb4R7

In what officials are calling a freak accident, a mother and her 7-year-old son were fatally buried in Northern California on Sunday by a falling chunk of snow the size of a trailer.
The massive block of snow fell from a roof and blanketed the two just steps from the front door of their mountain condo, authorities said.
Olga Perkovic and her son Aaron Goodstein had been skiing in the Sierra Nevada near the Nevada state line, the Alpine County Sheriff's Department said.
They were returning home when the snow chunk fell, burying them under about 3 feet of snow.
"It was a freak accident," Undersheriff Spencer Pace said Monday.
He said warming temperatures often cause snow to slide off roofs, occasionally injuring people.
But he said neither he nor the sheriff can recall sliding snow ever killing anyone in the three decades they've been there.
Pace said Perkovic's mother, who was staying in the condo with the family of five, reported the pair missing at about 6:40 p.m. Sunday.
Rescuers searched the nearby Kirkwood Ski Resort for hours because the pair's last know location was a ski lift where they had scanned their tickets at about 4 p.m.
Pace said it appears the two skied an "alternate" route home from the slopes that took them between buildings on a path that is unpaved in the summer.
At about 9 p.m., a neighbor spotted ski gloves next to the condo, realized they were beneath the snow and called 911.
The mother, 50, and son from San Francisco were airlifted to a hospital, where they were declared dead, Pace said.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've read there are people who have fallen from tremendous heights, like out of airplanes* and lived. I guess once you reach terminal velocity (I have no idea how long that takes), doesn't really matter how far you fall.

A Serbia Flight attendant survived a fall from 33,000 ft, no parachute, only survivor from a flight that crashed due to a bomb going off during flight.

"Following the crash, Vulović spent days in a coma and was hospitalized for several months. She suffered a fractured skull, three broken vertebrae, two broken legs, several broken ribs and a fractured pelvis. These injuries resulted in her being temporarily paralyzed from the waist down. She made an almost complete recovery but continued to walk with a limp"

here is more info on it
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing his mate just down climbed.......
Quote Reply
Re: Evolution rears its ugly head [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I googled the guy's name and one of the first hits was an article with a headline asking, "Who's to Blame for his Death?"

What?

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next